Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Will the Royal Mint create some "Vigo-like" sterling .....

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt it.

Weren't the Queen Anne "VIGO" coins sort of a way of saying, "Nyah nyaaah, we captured your ships, so we're going to brag about it on the coins we strike from your silver"?

Since the sunken ship in this case was a British ship, there isn't much propaganda value in commemorating its sinking.

Then again, some kind of medal with a picture of the ship on it, commemorating the historical source of the silver in general... now that would be interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the obverse showing a squadron of RAF Lancasters with the inscription, "RIP, SS Gairsoppa", and the reverse depicting an aerial view of Dresden on the morning of 2/14/45. Maybe use it as a 70th anniversary coin in 2015. It could double as a Valentine gift coin. image
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of watching APMEX to see if those 1,100 oz ingots would be for sale before hitting the furnace.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE