Home U.S. Coin Forum

So I received my copy of Mark Goodman's Numismatic Photography book..........New Pics added!

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
......and very informative as many here have suggested. The photos below were shot with a Fuji FinePix F10 6.3 megapixel point and shoot. Does have Macro but only auto focus. After a few practice runs, I came up with
these. Feel free to critique. Haven't made it through the whole book, so I'm still discovering. Thanks in advance for the feedback. Oh and BTW, the colors closely match what I'm seeing on my desk under the same light. Did not
adjust color or contrast. Shot on a copy stand.

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too bad you only have auto focus.

see if there is a shutter delay. not as crisp as can be.

lighting angles need some work.

overall, very good. image

do you have a shutter release remote?

i've recently discovered how to do mass-quantaties of circ coins with 1 light and super-fast shutter release. i can plow through stacks of coins now. only took 4+ years to learn. LOL

keep up the good work and congratz on getting the amazing coin photography book.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    How does the remote save you time? In my experience the biggest time saver is having the camera mounted. The biggest time suck is how long it takes to carefully place and then remove each coin under the lens. The latter is not improved by a shutter remote in my humble opinion.

Of course my current setup is far from ideal and nothing like the above description, so don't think I'm all high and mighty over here ... just trying to learn what you've achieved after four years of trials and tribulations
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remote triggering saves TONS of time.........

It's faster to shoot each coin once than 50 times trying to get a crisp, clear shot. I do think, however, that by saying "super-fast shutter release" he means using enough light to allow for fast shutter speeds. Of course, using a stable platform helps too.

I think the OP's photos are on the right track. Just a little tweaking to improve crispness and moving the light to bring out some luster bands and you're almost there. It might be difficult to get the focus correct when shooting slabbed coins though without being able to set it manually. It looks like the coin and the lens might not be perfectly parallel. Some regions are crisp and some are out of focus. I struggled with that endlessly until I started shooting in tethered mode.
  • Remote eliminates the chance of camera shake when you press the shutter button.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess taking pictures with my Kodak Brownie will just not compare......image Cheers, RickO
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    You need to step up Ricko. Get yerself a Polaroid Swinger. It's only nineteen dollars and ninety five...
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The lighting is too harsh for those coins. If you look especially at the 1991, you'll see large white areas and large dark areas. Diffuse the light a bit and raise it to a higher angle if possible so that the coin is more evenly lit.

2. To prevent camera shake with a point and shoot that doesn't allow remote control, use the 2 second self-timer.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. The lighting is too harsh for those coins. If you look especially at the 1991, you'll see large white areas and large dark areas. Diffuse the light a bit and raise it to a higher angle if possible so that the coin is more evenly lit.

2. To prevent camera shake with a point and shoot that doesn't allow remote control, use the 2 second self-timer. >>

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll experiment with the lighting. I did use the 2 second delay timer on those pics. Mel
  • Tallpaul000Tallpaul000 Posts: 193 ✭✭
    I like them, mainly due to the fact that thats what they will look like in hand. I have a huge problem with photos that are not what a coin looks like, in hand, under a incandescent light.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Remote eliminates the chance of camera shake when you press the shutter button. >>

THIS was the answer to my question.

With pro DSLRs the focus is always in the lens. The lens I use has great auto-focus features that do not require trying "50 times trying to get a crisp, clear shot" ... my heart goes out to all of you who do! image

Unfortunately [for me] most of my pictures were taken by someone else (the seller of the coin, or the seller two generations back, etc.) so most of my pictures are not the quality I could produce. But I don't have the time so I deal.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep thinking I will be able to figure it all out on my own without buying the book...and I have figured out many elements myself but clearly not everything...so I too may be buying the book soon.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Remote eliminates the chance of camera shake when you press the shutter button. >>

THIS was the answer to my question.

With pro DSLRs the focus is always in the lens. The lens I use has great auto-focus features that do not require trying >>

I could never get by without manual focus. I have not found a lens yet that is accurate enough to focus properly. I've heard the Canon 100mm does a pretty good job with Dollars as long as you have the aperture at f/8 so the DOF is fairly wide and focus isn't all that critical, but if you want really sharp shots on Cents (which is what I shoot mostly...) using wide apertures then it has to be manual.

Edited for typo..."I could never get by without manual focus"
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone that has to use auto focus polish the slabs before shooting. I use PlastX on almost all slabs, have even had to use it on ones that just came from PCGS with hairline scratches.
    A light polishing lets the camera most of the time focus on the coin not the slab.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soooo...... spent the last day and a half perusing the book and my Fuji owner's manual. These are the 12th set of pics. Tweaked ISO, White Balance, Exposure Compensation and new 5000k fluorescent bulbs. Here are the results.
    Critiques are welcome.
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your focus is still inconsistent. What is your aperture (f-stop) setting? I'd suggest using Aperture Priority mode if your camera has it. That way the DOF is not moving around from shot to shot. How flat is the coin versus the camera?
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're doing great, Mel. Keep at it.

The last bulb I'd turn to is a fluorescent. Mark explains this well. But the best advice is to use whatever works for you. And I would quickly agree that different lighting is important for different coin types.

Glad to see you getting the photography bug! It really adds to the enjoyment of the hobby.
    Lance.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are doing a pretty darn good job! There's room for improvement, sure...But for the amount of time you have spent on it you are doing quite well. Practice, practice, practice and experimentation will get you there. I know I am not "there" yet but I have figured a couple of things out...I hope to get there one day. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Great pics and great info...thanks
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are great, of course I am still using a Cannon 8 year old cyber shot LOL.

But seriously, they are GOOD ENOUGH!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    You're going to make Stephanie not want to sell her Eagle Toners... that's what's gonna happen!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file