Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ICG holder Bust half - Grade posted

Why don't we have a good old fashioned guess the grade thread.

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Where's the coinimage

BTW, Im in at EF45
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where's the coinimage >>

In my safe image
  • Options
    That's a "Knock-Out" coin image
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    I voted AU53
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not the easiest pics to grade from...can't tell if there is wear or just a mushy strike on the obverse.
    From one perspective it looks VF, from another AU.

I'm guessing 50.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all I have to go on is the shown image I'll grade it Pass.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks 35-40 net to me.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    I may come in low at 35
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a guess the ICG grade? Or guess how it ends up at PCGS?

I'm in at 35 by our hosts, 45 in its current holder.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their grade 40, my grade 35
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with 53. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    PCGS 40
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Thanks for the guesses - grade posted. Did anyone notice the variety?
  • Options
    I guessed the grade correctly, now you want to know which special variety it is? I see it is as not a special variety, but one never knows. Aren't Busties fun? Go to CoinZip, if you want to know more. All the marriages are shown there. Have fun!
  • Options

<< <i>I guessed the grade correctly, now you want to know which special variety it is? I see it is as not a special variety, but one never knows. Aren't Busties fun? Go to CoinZip, if you want to know more. All the marriages are shown there. Have fun! >>

I believe it's the 1836 / 1336
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accurately graded, imo, maybe even a bit conservatively so. I thought you had crossed it to PCGS and guessed XF45.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Accurately graded, imo, maybe even a bit conservatively so. I thought you had crossed it to PCGS and guessed XF45. >>

It'll most definitely be going with my next submission. It has plenty of luster and I think it's under graded.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin, but think it's accurately graded as a 40
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I guessed the grade correctly, now you want to know which special variety it is? I see it is as not a special variety, but one never knows. Aren't Busties fun? Go to CoinZip, if you want to know more. All the marriages are shown there. Have fun! >>

I believe it's the 1836 / 1336 >>

Thats what it looks like...check 107 too, but you should be able to see the remnant 3 with a loupe, shouldn't you ?
    if it is as lusterous as it looks in your pics, I'll stand by my guess of 50....maybe 45 at pcgs image
  • Options
    The 1836/1336, in XF40, should have the remnants of the lower 3 knob end visible inside the lower loop of the 8. It may show with the coin in hand, but I certainly do not see it in the picture. Take a look at one of my 1836/1336.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks to be a decent coin- 40-45 seems reasonable.

Lets not get trapped into using the holder to grade the coin- learn to recognize the striking charateristics of the date and draw reasonable conclusions

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>The 1836/1336, in XF40, should have the remnants of the lower 3 knob end visible inside the lower loop of the 8. It may show with the coin in hand, but I certainly do not see it in the picture. Take a look at one of my 1836/1336.

image >>

Thanks, I knew I was missing something. I took a look under my loupe and that small remnant in the lower left side of the loop of the 8 is definitely there, so variety confirmed image

Now, what's an 1836/1336 worth in this grade?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where's the coinimage >>

In my safe image >>

behind jesus. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The piece seems to have some luster on the reverse, but the obverse is too scruffy to make AU. I think ICG pretty much got it right although one could make a convincing argument for calling it a VF-35. The old time collectors used to say if you were within 5 points on a circulated grade, you were pretty much in agreement.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file