Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I've finally gotten to a place financially to start a box of 10 or maybe 20 toners...here is my firs

Your opinions are welcomed please! Thanks for looking. Doug

Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no photo!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the toning on the left side. It looks like a sunburst! Nice coin.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Sorry Michael, it's been a while since I posted pics...they are there now. image

And thank you for your thoughts! I really like this one.
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Aside from the perfect detail, that is one awesome coin!

What's that little hologram on the holder? CAC, now what?
  • Options

<< <i>Aside from the perfect detail, that is one awesome coin!

What's that little hologram on the holder? CAC, now what? >>

Haha, thanks! Oh, it is a hallmark from the seller...a very well known expert in toned coins...not sure I should advertise for him here but PM me if you want to know who, as I am really happy with his deals on upper end toners. image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The color adds a beautiful visual effect on the gold.

The problem is the color was created by contamination of a foreign substance on the surface of the coin. Normally contamination by a foreign substance will cause an unattractive color change. This is an instance of the contaminant causing a color change that has an attractive look. Chances are the color change manifested after the coin was graded and encapsulated, so at the time the coin was graded by PCGS it did not look the way it does now.

It is extremely unlikely that that toning is natural. If that coin is submitted to CAC, I will wager that it does not get stickered.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>The color adds a beautiful visual effect on the gold.

The problem is the color was created by contamination of a foreign substance on the surface of the coin. Normally contamination by a foreign substance will cause an unattractive color change. This is an instance of the contaminant causing a color change that has an attractive look. Chances are the color change manifested after the coin was graded and encapsulated, so at the time the coin was graded by PCGS it did not look the way it does now.

It is extremely unlikely that that toning is natural. If that coin is submitted to CAC, I will wager that it does not get stickered. >>

Thank you for the info! I enjoy learning about toning. image
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you for the info! I enjoy learning about toning. image >>

It's one thing to enjoy toned coins. It's another thing to know how toning occurs and the difference between natural toning and toning from doctoring.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's one thing to enjoy toned coins. It's another thing to know how toning occurs and the difference between natural toning and toning from doctoring. >>

I'm still up right now and I'm curious... are you saying/implying that the OP's coin was "doctored" or AT'ed after being slabbed by PCGS? because that is a 3-prong slab and was probably slabbed within the last couple of years. I haven't seen gold tone like this either but then again, most of the gold I have seen is from pictures of OPG (other people's gold).

Erik
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost forgot... Nice Coin, I would love to own a coin like that!

Erik

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's one thing to enjoy toned coins. It's another thing to know how toning occurs and the difference between natural toning and toning from doctoring. >>

I'm still up right now and I'm curious... are you saying/implying that the OP's coin was "doctored" or AT'ed after being slabbed by PCGS? because that is a 3-prong slab and was probably slabbed within the last couple of years. I haven't seen gold tone like this either but then again, most of the gold I have seen is from pictures of OPG (other people's gold).

Erik >>

A good doctoring job is difficult to detect, especially when the doctoring was performed recently. Generally coins are not doctored after grading. They are worked on immediately before grading. They are submitted under expedited service and evidence of doctoring may not appear until much later after prolonged exposure to air or humidity. Often the coins look legit at the time of grading only to turn in appearance at a later time.

The grading companies don't often inspect coins carefully enough when submitted for reholdering. A new holder could also mean the coin was recently reholdered. It's one tactic of many some shadier sellers use.
  • Options
    Beautiful toned piece! Amazed
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin and great pick up. congrats.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty coin but AT'd in the plastic. Some sort of rinse or something was not thoroughly removed.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin and Wei (WTCG) is correct about the surface residue....(gold does not tarnish).....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin and Wei (WTCG) is correct about the surface residue....(gold does not tarnish).....Cheers, RickO >>

Of course gold does not tone, for the simple reason that gold does not form a stable oxide (unlike other coinage metals). But it isn't pure gold, and there is ca. 10% copper in the alloy that will tone.
    Is that toning real? Who knows, I don't see anything that sets off alarm bells, other than the fact that the toning has an 'artistic' look.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file