Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA submissions at National

I have 200+ cards I need to submit and was hoping for some advice. Most of the cards are 1959's and 1960's with some 70's. I've never been to a National nor have I submitted myself. My thinking was to subscribe to their platinum service and arrive Wednesday night with all the paperwork filled out. Does anyone have any other ideas or is that a decent plan? It says I receive 15 free subs and those will be returned quicker than the others I sub. Should I just pay to have the graded at the show and go back on Sunday? I also plan to bring some nice newer auto's to Beckett but just a few that I hope to get turned around with no shipping if reasonable. Any advice or suggestions with the PSA submissions would be very much appreciated. I plan to take scans and share with the board for the nice ones that come back 8-10's!!!
"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd

Comments

• Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    That's a decent plan. However, since this is your first time submitting, you need to know if your cards are submission worthy. You may think that your cards are near mint - mint, but many times for new submitters, the cards will come back with a significantly lower grade because the submitter has missed a lot of things. Therefore, I would advise posting a few sample cards that you plan to submit, and the board members will give you a decent idea on how they will grade. Then you can determine if those cards can be submitted at the Collector's Club level (below $500 declared value) or as part of a lower declared value submission (like the typical 45 business day submission for declared value under $100) or not submit the card at all. No matter what, it's a good idea to drop your submission at the National to save on shipping costs going to PSA.

Last year, PSA had some specials if you dropped your cards off at National. They may have similar specials this year or they may not have them. To give you an idea, last year's special was the lowest price of the year, for cards with a declared value of $100 or less. (It did require 50 card minimum submission.) Last year, this special was announced on July 17th, so you may want to wait around until then to decide your final submission strategy.

Finally, at National, there usually is the option for onsite grading, which means if you drop off your cards the beginning of National, you'll get them back near the end of National. Therefore, you save on shipping costs both ways. The grading costs are more expensive, but since you save on shipping, it may still be worth it for higher value cards, and you get your cards back before you leave National, so there is no worrying over, when is loggage going to happen, I've checked my submission 50 times a day, and it still hasn't popped and so forth. Last year, the fees for onsite grading were announced around July 2nd, so if PSA is doing it again, it should be coming out relatively soon (hopefully).

Good luck w/ your submission whatever you decide to do!
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a decent plan. However, since this is your first time submitting, you need to know if your cards are submission worthy. You may think that your cards are near mint - mint, but many times for new submitters, the cards will come back with a significantly lower grade because the submitter has missed a lot of things. Therefore, I would advise posting a few sample cards that you plan to submit, and the board members will give you a decent idea on how they will grade. Then you can determine if those cards can be submitted at the Collector's Club level (below $500 declared value) or as part of a lower declared value submission (like the typical 45 business day submission for declared value under $100) or not submit the card at all. No matter what, it's a good idea to drop your submission at the National to save on shipping costs going to PSA.

Last year, PSA had some specials if you dropped your cards off at National. They may have similar specials this year or they may not have them. To give you an idea, last year's special was the lowest price of the year, for cards with a declared value of $100 or less. (It did require 50 card minimum submission.) Last year, this special was announced on July 17th, so you may want to wait around until then to decide your final submission strategy.

Finally, at National, there usually is the option for onsite grading, which means if you drop off your cards the beginning of National, you'll get them back near the end of National. Therefore, you save on shipping costs both ways. The grading costs are more expensive, but since you save on shipping, it may still be worth it for higher value cards, and you get your cards back before you leave National, so there is no worrying over, when is loggage going to happen, I've checked my submission 50 times a day, and it still hasn't popped and so forth. Last year, the fees for onsite grading were announced around July 2nd, so if PSA is doing it again, it should be coming out relatively soon (hopefully).

Good luck w/ your submission whatever you decide to do! >>

Well said...I was wondering the same thing.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for the reply...I'm going for it!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    BTW, PSA has the National specials and onsite pricing available now. You can see it in their post here (Link) and the links in the post.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, PSA has the National specials and onsite pricing available now. You can see it in their post here (Link) and the links in the post. >>

Thought this might be helpful for all of us who are dropping off cards at the National. Here is the link to the National Specials

See everyone next week!