Home Metal Detecting
Options

"Dirty Movie" 05: Sidewalk Shooting Old Town & A Clip About A Clip

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
First half of Monday, June 10th's outing.

Not the more exciting half, probably. These were some of the pre-lunch finds. The second half (my post-lunch finds) will be in "Dirty Movie" 06, whenever I get time to finish editing that.

"Dirty Movie" 06 on YouTube

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    a friend of mine just dug his first seated coin in a parking strip 2 weeks ago, its an 1858 quarter.
    I have 2 suggestions about your digging techniques. for faster target recovery, I grab a handful of dirt and wave under the coil. this usually goes a lot faster than the probe. some people around here use a towel to place the dirt in. it keeps the grass clean and you don't loose anything in deep grass.

good videos, wish I could dig in a super old area like that.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks... always enjoyable....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a friend of mine just dug his first seated coin in a parking strip 2 weeks ago, its an 1858 quarter.
    I have 2 suggestions about your digging techniques. for faster target recovery, I grab a handful of dirt and wave under the coil. this usually goes a lot faster than the probe. some people around here use a towel to place the dirt in. it keeps the grass clean and you don't loose anything in deep grass.

good videos, wish I could dig in a super old area like that. >>

Sounds to me like y'all do better on Seated and Barber stuff anyway. An 1858 quarter in a parking strip? Neat! I have found one ever... an 1855... and that was at an old site in Tennessee.

As to your "grab a handful of dirt and wave it over the coil", I do that sometimes. And the towel for the loose dirt is a good idea. I do that when I'm on really manicured lawns but prefer not to have one more thing to tote around with me sometimes (detector in right hand, shovel in left hand, trowel in right knee pocket, camera on head, etc.) Steve/"Millennium" used to carry an old car floor mat with him, which worked well because it was a bit more rigid, yet still flexible. I tried that too but it proved too much a chore to carry around. With our looser, sandy soils here, most of the time that ring of dirt around a plug becomes invisible once the dirt has dried and sifted back down into the grass. It's certainly gone by the time dew or rain falls.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.