Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The Polish "Jadwiga" design, 1932-1934

I recently picked up a set of restrike coins issued by Poland in 2009 commemorating the 240th anniversary of the Poland Mint. The coins feature a design referred to by most USA collectors, if not most collectors around the world, as the "Jadwiga" design. In doing research on the pieces, I uncovered a bit of information that surprised me (they do not depict Jadwiga at all)!

I summarized my findings as a blog written here.

Here is the four coin set that I recently purchased. They are quite stunning in hand.

-Brandon
-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want that set, it is one of my favourite designs.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I've seen that obv before, though I can't remember where. It may have been an ANA magazine article. Something inside my gut memory is telling me that one of the US coins was modeled after this obv. Ringing any bells, anyone?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Please don't make me dig through my back issues of The Numismatist ... I've already got a long weekend ahead of me image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stumbled upon another thread here from back in May with a link to a copper pattern piece of the 1925 design. It's cool to see that these restrikes were quite true to the original design.

This pattern copper piece sold for around $5,000 USD back in May of 2011. image
    imageimage

And the restrike:
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

I like that she has her head raised a little higher on the newer restrike, as if with pride and/or confidence.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like that she has her head raised a little higher on the newer restrike, as if with pride and/or confidence. >>

It's likely just a rotation difference. It's hard to know what proper rotation is for coins with no "horizontal" legend text.

-Brandon

• Great read! I just recently discovered this pattern and am quickly falling in love with it. Thanks.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the design!

Here's my example in unexpectedly scarce uncirculated condition:

And my example in slightly more scarce proof image :

As for the design not being Jadwiga...if you create a symbol of "perfect beauty" in Poland, and make it a young woman, with a crown, with flowing headdress of a medieval style, in an overwhelmingly catholic country, whose most beloved semi-mythical figure was a young woman queen who lived in the 14th century and who became a catholic saint...If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.

Let's put it this way: if you wanted to create a symbol of beauty and piety in France, and you chose to sculpt a young, beautiful woman in 15th century chain mail with a cross on her breast and a halo around her head, you could say it wasn't Joan of Arc until the cows came home. But could you fault the public for calling it that?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Weiss waits around with his finger on the button for the Jadwiga to come up in conversation. image
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
    I WAS ON VACATION! I SWEAR!

--Severian the Lame