Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Kookaburras & 2013 US Mint Silver Proof Set (SV8)

Hi. I'm relatively new to coin collecting and completely new to joining a coin forum so hello to all. One part of my collection is the Kookaburra series from the Perth Mint. I've noticed lately that there are different reverses on same year coins. I know that the Royal Australian Mint has made some but I've seen the "P" mint mark on the coins. Did the Perth Mint use different obverse designs in the same year on proof and bullion coins? Also, today I just returned the third silver proof set from the US Mint due to poor quality of the coins. Not due to errors unfortunately but just poor quality. Knicks on coins, smudges and cloudy surfaces etc.. I would expect some on an older set but I have sets that are from the 50's that are in better shape. Has anyone else noticed any quality problems with them? Thanks in advance.
Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Welcome to the forumn. You will find it a wealth of information and great people. We all love pictures so if you have some, post them for all to see.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    Thanks and I think I've just answered my own question with some digging. It looks like, let's say a 2003 proof is actually going to be the 2004 design?? Here's some pics.

jeff
  • Options
    Woops. Thought I had it figured out how to attach photo's but evidently not.. Will keep trying. Ha ha. Sorry.

jeff
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!!

There are a great group of people on here with loads of experience and are not stingy to share.

I only ordered from the US Mint once. Everything was so professional and pristine! Was it hard to return something? I mean, you did not have to pay for return shipping or anything?
    Its happened to me before when ordering a coin from a dealer and it arrives in subpar condition that I have to return it. There should be better quality control, but some people are simply not that "picky" and simply refrain from complaining. This makes dealers take the risk of pushing shoddy merchandise around. The US Mint should know better, though.

I recently got a coin from a major German dealer and it had a fingerprint on it. This is unacceptable. I quickly dipped it in acetone and it was gone. This tells me it was placed in the packaging recently with bare hands.

Many dealers are not hesitant to pass off their handled flawed coins for top dollar....Oh, but when you dare have a coin with a little bit of haze or toning, the dealers really lower their offer on what they would pay for it and let you know why.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Welcome aboard. Would love to see the pictures of your coins. Often the mint ordered coins are clean and in good shape. Even when you are buying an antique coin from a dealer, ask for tamper-proof packaging.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why it's in our nature to take sides in commerce, but we are all guilty from time to time. For example, many homeowners criticize contractors but when I worked construction I met many crazy homeowners. Coin dealers get a bad rap, not unlike attorneys and insurance agents. But not all dealers are bad in fact most are good and honest.

Maybe the problem is that margins are really quite low on coins, so when you are honest, it's harder to reap big profits. I believe this is why so many B&M shops have trouble keeping their doors open.

These are the kinds of replies you'll get from me at 7:30 AM image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE