Home U.S. Coin Forum

I gots me a new camera....20 Megapixel baby. Guess the grade. - Added Pics of Proof Indian Cent

I know my old super secret camera was old (came out in 1999) so I have been on the hunt for a new camera. Well, I think I've found it.

Here is a link to the original photo straight out of the camera, no photoshop, no touching up, nothing.

Added to note that I just tried to click the original file link below on my tablet and it redirects to a small version so if you are on a mobile device, you might not see the full size. Stupid mobile device redirects.

Original photo from camera.

Here is a super small image right out of the camera (just resized down so it doesn't blow up your monitor in this forum post).

While we're at it, guess the grade.

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I am guessing you have a macro lens attached?

MS65*
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    wow, I can count Miss Liberty's nosehairs in that original pic. Nice stuff.

MS65*
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    I will say NGC gave it the nod and graded it 66 star.
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    Nice shot, very sharp.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    33?
    LCoopie = Les
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin! Great colors!
    Fine shot!
    Congratulations on the new camera.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Im really impressed with the guys who can grade from an image of one side of the coin image Great photo and pretty coin !

P.s wtb x-ray vision computer monitor image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say 65+.

BTW - welcome back.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    giving Brandon more pixels is like giving Piccaso more color choices.

NGC 66.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64 - too many scrapes from shaving.... image

Nice pic! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic! image

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does 20 Megapixel do once cropped down to that size image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    MS-65*
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>64 - too many scrapes from shaving.... image

Nice pic! image >>

I'm in the 32 group as we are only seeing less than half of the coin even if we are seeing a lot of it.image
  • ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    MS Beautiful
  • poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>What does 20 Megapixel do once cropped down to that size image >>

Actually, it helps with the smaller coins more than the Morgans. But it adds crispness when sizing down as well on all coin sizes.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new hammer won't make you a better carpenter. Equivalently, a new camera isn't the panacea of coin photography. Of all of the ingredients for good coin photography, the camera itself is one of the less important ones. It is essentially a piece of plastic on which to mount a lens that will project an image on the sensor.

In my opinion, more important than the camera are:

Lighting
    Lens
    Copy stand
    Artistic ability

Absolutely beautiful image, but little of it has to do with your new camera (and it's 20MP), and a lot has to do with your skills as a photographer.

PS -- I really like the Morgan you chose as your subject!
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>64 - too many scrapes from shaving.... image

Nice pic! image >>

<< <i>A new hammer won't make you a better carpenter. Equivalently, a new camera isn't the panacea of coin photography. Of all of the ingredients for good coin photography, the camera itself is one of the less important ones. It is essentially a piece of plastic on which to mount a lens that will project an image on the sensor.

Lighting
    Lens
    Copy stand
    Artistic ability

Absolutely beautiful image, but little of it has to do with your new camera (and it's 20MP), and a lot has to do with your skills as a photographer.

PS -- I really like the Morgan you chose as your subject! >>

The right hammer can make you a better carpenter, doesn't have to be new.

<< <i>

<< <i>A new hammer won't make you a better carpenter. Equivalently, a new camera isn't the panacea of coin photography. Of all of the ingredients for good coin photography, the camera itself is one of the less important ones. It is essentially a piece of plastic on which to mount a lens that will project an image on the sensor.

Lighting
    Lens
    Copy stand
    Artistic ability

PS -- I really like the Morgan you chose as your subject! >>

The right hammer can make you a better carpenter, doesn't have to be new. >>

Touche, but my point still stands. Little of the posted image has to do with the new camera. Brandon has been a great photographer for years.
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we can expect more great shots of killer coins now right? image

My WAG is 66 without using my X-ray vision on this piece.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Actually, it helps with the smaller coins more than the Morgans. But it adds crispness when sizing down as well on all coin sizes. >>

Poorguy, Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing something really dinky in diameter shot with your new toy! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

<< <i>Little of the posted image has to do with the new camera. Brandon has been a great photographer for years. >>

While Brandon's "eye" is reknown, most of the detail and sharpness in the OP has to do with a quality camera. Camera quality (not just megapixels) is of more importance with digital cameras since they are literally processing data to store what the lens sees rather than just exposing raw film to light. Your argument is more valid with a pre-digital camera.

<< <i>

<< <i>Little of the posted image has to do with the new camera. Brandon has been a great photographer for years. >>

While Brandon's "eye" is reknown, most of the detail and sharpness in the OP has to do with a quality camera. Camera quality (not just megapixels) is of more importance with digital cameras since they are literally processing data to store what the lens sees rather than just exposing raw film to light. Your argument is more valid with a pre-digital camera. >>

We will have to agree to disagree. The "sensors" and processors Canon and Nikon put in even their lowest end digital cameras are the same or about the same as the higher end ones. Yes, he will see some improvement in his image quality upgrading from a camera from 1999, but the number of pixels is irrelevant for the most part beyond 10MP. Especially if you are filling the frame with the full coin regardless of size of the coin (which a good LENS will allow you to do).

I know lots of people who have purchased $1000+ cameras with exorbitant numbers of megapixels and they can't take decent coin photos. Buying the camera doesn't make you a good coin photographer -- but taking tens of thousands of images sure will get you there.

I wish he would divulge what new camera he decided on? The image doesn't appear to have any EXIF data on it.
    -Brandon

LCoopie = Les

<< <i>We will have to agree to disagree. The "sensors" and processors Canon and Nikon put in even their lowest end digital cameras are the same or about the same as the higher end ones. Yes, he will see some improvement in his image quality upgrading from a camera from 1999, but the number of pixels is irrelevant for the most part beyond 10MP. Especially if you are filling the frame with the full coin regardless of size of the coin (which a good LENS will allow you to do). >>

Camera quality is independent of number of pixels. electronics of low end and high end cameras are worlds apart and the reason for the big difference in price.

• daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Pretty decent photo. Would like to see the reverse if possible- but I'll guess 65.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
    Ok. You guys wanted to see a small coin? Keep in mind how freaking small an indian cent is. Yeah, that line going around her chin and the left lower obverse is a lint mark. Figured I would mention that before someone thinks it is a scratch or something.

Here is a link to the original - I cropped it since it didn't quite fill the frame.

Here's it scaled down to 1500x1500 PCGS Proof 66BN Ex. Larry Shepherd Indian cent. Sorry guys with low resolution monitors.

interestingly the original is smaller
    LCoopie = Les

<< <i>interestingly the original is smaller >>

For some reason, if you are on a mobile device, tablet, phone, ect. Photobucket redirects to a small picture.
    looking at it on my PC
    LCoopie = Les
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's impressive! I know a magician should never reveal his secrets, but do you happen to have a picture of your setup (and details on what kinds of lights you're using?)
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics. You did not even adjust contrast or brightness? If not, capturing the colors on the Morgan would be nothing short of amazing!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice - you've got me excited about getting a new camera!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Brandon for the new camera... Great shots!

ABimage
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon once again proves his imaging skills!

Keep posting my man!
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet pics and I'm guessing 65+/66 on the Morgan.
  • BaseballAbsBaseballAbs Posts: 2,621
    What kind of camera did you end up getting?
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of camera did you end up getting?

Ya .... what he said. image

Dave

PS Great pics!!!!!!!
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I'd say its got a star* then a 64 grade, but I can't see the reverse...
    "It is what it is."
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Morgan obverse is graded MS66 by NGC

stunning coin image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of lens are you using, Brandon?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

<< <i>Wow, that's impressive! I know a magician should never reveal his secrets, but do you happen to have a picture of your setup (and details on what kinds of lights you're using?) >>

I would be too embarassed to post a picture of my set up. Ill just say that it involves some priority mail boxes, a power strip, and some desk lamps from walmart. image

<< <i>Nice pics. You did not even adjust contrast or brightness? If not, capturing the colors on the Morgan would be nothing short of amazing! >>

Nope, just straight up all camera. I did, however, use photoshop to save the images.
  • DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭

Not much when reduced to small size, what I like are the nice results when you crop at 100%...

Very nice shots.
  • The coin was originally in an ngc pre star double coin holder. This one greded ms64 and the other ms63. I sent them both back in, obviously, to ngc to have the ms63 reholdered and regrade on this one. Well, ngc slapped a star on it and called it a day. I cracked it out and sent it to PCGS and it came back the proper grade of ms65. Sorry for the wait but my mother fell and broke her femur and I have been helping in her recovery. That, among other things, have taken quite a toll on me. But soon, very soon, my new site will be ready.

For all of you folks who have been awaiting my promised return, you will not be disappointed. I have had some hurdles I have fallen over but I have overcome all of them one at a time and have gotten back up to get to this epic moment. If you are new to the boards since my disappearing act over a year ago and like toned and pq coins, watch me. If you didn't realize I was here before, notice me. For those choice few who helped me out and supported me during this time, your charity and love will be returned with interest. If you hated me before, you can hate me again. I forgive, but I do not forget. I am back, as promised.
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, welcome back!
    I for one will appreciate your contributions to the boards.
    Sorry you've had some hurdles along the way, though I'm glad you've ovrcome them and emerged stronger!
    Your enthusiasm comes through in your post and I'm looking forwrd to moreimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Brandon, did you reveal the new camera's make model ?

I'm looking for a new camera, but don't want to spend more than $300 or so if possible.

Features that we definitely want:

High Megapixel
    Low ISO sensitivity
    Multiple light metering modes
    Multiple white light modes
    Manual overrides for everything: Focus, Appature and Shutter.

I want a camera that also is small lightweight and has a normal viewfinder as well as a digital one (so the Nikon cool pix is out)

I'm thinking of the Sony Alpha 3000 20.1 MP Digital SLR -- which is about $350 right now at Target.

Anyone have one that can give a review from the point of view of coin photography?
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file