Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Plug for an upcoming HA offering via my longtime B&M

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
The most prolific collector in my town passed away recently. He had a discerning eye and great taste. My local dealer and he spent the last ~50 years assembling his collection, which includes a full run of dollars from 1794 through the late 19th century, a confederate half restrike, and some other cool stuff.

Keep your eyes open for the Midwest Naval Officer's Early Dollar Collection (or words to that effect) via an upcoming Heritage auction. It might not be the most glamorous stuff you've ever seen, but much of it has been off the market for half a century and it's going to have some really nice original pieces. The things I've seen are pretty mouth watering!
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool - looking forward to the dollars! Does it include an 1804? image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to lose any numismatic good fellow. On the bright side: fresh material is always good for the market as it generates excitement, which breathes new life into our hobby, and typically results in a windfall for surviving loved ones.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The most prolific collector in my town passed away recently. He had a discerning eye and great taste. My local dealer and he spent the last ~50 years assembling his collection, which includes a full run of dollars from 1794 through the late 19th century, a confederate half restrike, and some other cool stuff.

Keep your eyes open for the Midwest Naval Officer's Early Dollar Collection (or words to that effect) via an upcoming Heritage auction. It might not be the most glamorous stuff you've ever seen, but much of it has been off the market for half a century and it's going to have some really nice original pieces. The things I've seen are pretty mouth watering! >>

Can you give us a heads up on the 1794 dollar as to grade and appearance. I see fewer and fewer of those around regardless of condition.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The most prolific collector in my town passed away recently. He had a discerning eye and great taste. My local dealer and he spent the last ~50 years assembling his collection, which includes a full run of dollars from 1794 through the late 19th century, a confederate half restrike, and some other cool stuff.

Keep your eyes open for the Midwest Naval Officer's Early Dollar Collection (or words to that effect) via an upcoming Heritage auction. It might not be the most glamorous stuff you've ever seen, but much of it has been off the market for half a century and it's going to have some really nice original pieces. The things I've seen are pretty mouth watering! >>

Can you give us a heads up on the 1794 dollar as to grade and appearance. I see fewer and fewer of those around regardless of condition. >>

I'll try to hit my dealer up for details. But he thinks Heritage will be listing the stuff pretty soon.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    My dealer showed me part of the HA catalog today for the Midwest Naval Officer's stuff I mentioned in May. These pieces will be auctioned August 8-10th. I believe several lots are in the Platinum sale.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are on the back cover of the recent Coin World. The 1794 grades Fine 12.

Here is the link to the coin on the Heritage site

1794 Dollar in ANA Sale
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    There are some coins in this auction that look like they have been squirreled away for a while.

Edit: Very nice collection he had.
  • Options
    Did this person also happen to have a long career as a State Trooper?

The person who got me started in the hobby many years ago recently passed away. I know he had made arrangements to have his collection auctioned since none of the kids were interested, and you description sounds a lot like his collection.
    I live in my own world. But it's OK, they know me there.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These are on the back cover of the recent Coin World. The 1794 grades Fine 12.

Here is the link to the coin on the Heritage site

1794 Dollar in ANA Sale >>

Cool coin for TDN's 1794 $1 "Grading Set"! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file