Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof collectors, what after market holders have resulted in your proof coins develop toning?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
For example:

Capital holders; Capital style holders; Whitman holders; soft flips; hard flips; Cointains; Dansco albums; Whitman albums; LOC albums, Wayte Raymond albums; etc.

Further, for those holders that imparted toning on the proof coins you had in the holders, how did the toning turn out (positive, negative or neutral) and how long did it take to develop the toning?

I have some silver, nickel, copper and clad proof coins that have been stored in some Capital holders and some Capital style holders that have, over the years, developed some attractive toning. Some of the most attractive toning is multi colored toning which is heavier at the rims and as you travel from the rims to the center of the coins the toning become lighter. For proofs with frosted central devices the rim toning frames the contrasting fields and devices very nicely.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    Silver proofs from the 1950s and 60s in NGC no line fatties will often have profound blue toning, almost as if ink were spilled on the coin.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that Capital Holders gave proofs the nicest rainbow edge toning, the longer they are left in there
    the more complete the toning. As far as length of time goes, it can be quite a many years.

For modern, ultra modern bullion coins and commemorative dollars and half dollars the nicest have come out
    of the original mint packaging and or older PCI holders. Length of time can be a year or two for light toning
    and 5-10 or more for really super colors.

And lastly, once in a while you can get a nice toning from the original mint packaging on some proofs(see image below)

This one has belonged to a member here, I hope he doesn't mind that I posted it as I sold it to him.

An example of a capital holder toned proof.

The ones below come from original mint packaging..

These are from the mint felt boxes, with the coin removed and placed in the velvet boxes.

these are toning in old ANACS holders.

Now I did not submit this one so I will make an educated guess that this was in an older PCI holder
    as the toning rings are tight together and some wild toning is going on. But I could be wrongimage

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was just recently told by some here that no way this was toned like this when slabbed.
    I trust their opinions but it never even crossed my mind that it could tone like this after being slabbed.
    I should get better pics because it's not nearly as wild as these pics show. Especially the rev, which is more of a even gold color and not so splotchy.

I would enjoy seeing some examples of the attractive toning you mention.

PCGS PR69 DCAM
    imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point, some do tone in the holders but the ones I have seen are usually gold.

I am almost positive this one toned in the holder as I have never seen PCGS grade a 70 that is toned.
    The best I have seen is a 69 in which I have the MS70 and PR69

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont mind at all ... CoinsAreFun. I adore that Franklin ... thank you for selling it to me!

Some Proof Coins (esp. Lincolns from the early 1960's) tone inside unopened original mint sealed cello ...
    No after-market holders necessary.

• Options
    dansco album can tone silver proofs.

PCI older green label has been known to impart some color on silver also.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file