Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there an online resource for number of dies used...

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
...for proof and/or circulation strikes? Specifically for mid to late 1800's. If not an online source, any other thoughts?
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Most records were lost/destroyed. I do have the mint records from one year in the 1890s I think it was but I won't be able to post them until tonight...although I have posted them before so if I have time to search...maybe I can post them sooner.

I have consulted with a couple of heavy researchers including RWB. The records simply do not exist. I wish I had them for Mercury Dimes so as to analyze the dates with varieties. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    The number of dies used by each mint per denomination is included in the Annual Report of the Director of the Mint. I picked 1880 at random through a Google Search.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The number of dies used by each mint per denomination is included in the Annual Report of the Director of the Mint. I picked 1880 at random through a Google Search. >>

Very good!
    Thanks
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I can give you that information for non proof Capped Bust Half Dollars..... image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The number of dies used by each mint per denomination is included in the Annual Report of the Director of the Mint. I picked 1880 at random through a Google Search. >>

There was certainly some good info in there. There are different dates that have had data salvaged, no question about that. In that eBay link, from what I saw it listed the dies for each denomination but it did not break them down by obverse or reverse dies which is a key step in figuring out how rare a variety is potentially and that has been my desire for Mercury Dimes. I have been told by multiple people that most of the data simply does not exist unfortunately. Here is a key example of something I would love to have for Mercury Dimes. The following gives a beautiful snapshot into the San Fransisco Mint for 1896. For example, when you look at dimes you see 5 obverse dies were used and 4 reverse dies were used and then it tells you how many pieces each die produced. I found this to be very cool! Enjoy!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file