Home Precious Metals
Options

Dealing with customers fishing for top dollar

ChessmanChessman Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭
I had a customer who called me the other day with a 2000 LOC bi-metal gold/platinum coin and another foreign gold set he wanted to sell. I directly him to Modern Coin Mart which actively buys the moderns. I told him that when there is active demand for the LOCs they may be worth over $1000 for the proof coin. How do others deal with people fishing around for top dollar? Since the metal value is a lot less on those coins some dealers would just tell a seller that they would pay a little over the metal value. What is the right way to handle this? I also suggested he join one of the coin sites and ask questions there.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As sellers, we all seek top dollar. You provided a good service to your customer trying to help him find a buyer on something you weren't interested in. That customer will be back to see you in the future.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    If it were me, I would have contacted MCM and/or other modern dealers and find out a buy price from them. Then I would offer my client a fair price based on their quote to make it worth my time to buy and ship the items.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>As sellers, we all seek top dollar. You provided a good service to your customer trying to help him find a buyer on something you weren't interested in. That customer will be back to see you in the future. >>

I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way I turn away a seller is if he asks too much and I would not steer him to my competition except to hold a candle to me. Why shouldn't a seller get top dollar ? It is his .
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naturally a seller is seeking top dollar.... wouldn't you?? Certainly is my game plan....image Cheers, RickO