Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Roman Empire: Gaius "Caligula" (37-41 AD), bronze as, struck ca. 37-38 AD

GAIUS "CALIGULA" (37-41 AD), bronze as, struck ca. 37-38 AD

Obverse- C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT, bare head left.
Reverse- VESTA, S C across field, Vesta seated left, holding patera and sceptre.

RIC I 38; BMCRE 46; Cohen 27. 10.9 g. NGC VF (Strike 4/5, Surfaces 3/5), cert. #4170211-002. Ex- Athena Numismatics, UK, January 2013.

This is actually my fourth Caligula coin. The first was sold with my original collection in 2008, and the new owner quite understandably hung on tight and had no desire to sell it back to me years later. The next two I bought in 2012 had run-ins with bronze disease, which was heartbreaking. A rather ironic twist has been that out of only two ancient coins I've ever had affected by the dreaded "bronze disease" (basically a green "coin cancer"), both were scarce and expensive Caligula bronzes! I called that "The Curse of Caligula". Even two thousand years after his assassination, the evil Caligula's his bad mojo was still at work on his coins! So my first two attempts to replace my old 2008 type coin ended tragically and expensively. Finally, on the third try in early 2013, I spent a bit more money on this one from a seller in the UK, and got it into NGC plastic. And I like the patina on this piece. Caligula came pretty easily to me in the old 2007-2008 collection, but after the ordeal of finding an acceptable, slabworthy piece this time around, I began to understand why other collectors often consider his to be the toughest emperor slot to fill in a Twelve Caesars collection.

Main Roman Imperial Collection list

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Very nice As Lord M. Fits your set well.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin, now bust it out of its slab! ;P
  • Options
    Great looking coin, now bust it out of its slab! ;P

+1. I understand what you're trying to do with your collection Rob, but ancients just don't belong in slabs...
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice As Lord M. Fits your set well.

image >>

Did you just say I had a nice as? imageimage

I just got the thing INTO plastic, so don't y'all go hatin' on my slabbishness!

Besides, if I cracked 'em all out, they'd rattle around in the box:

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Besides, if I cracked 'em all out, they'd rattle around in the box:

• Options
    great stuff, thanks for sharing image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! I've been eyeing ancients for a while, and posts like yours keep tempting me to take the plunge.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that as!
    And I like the patina too.
    Great example.image
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That's a really sharp piece (o' as, lol, couldn't resist)! I was pretty happy to pick up some lower grade coins of Antoninus Pius, Claudius, Augustus and Hadrian this weekend that didn't break the bank. But I have started my 12 Caesar collection as well officially with the help of the CICF. I was really hoping to pick up a denarius from one of them as well but I quickly learned how not feasible that was given the quality and prices of the pieces available.

So I picked up a denarius of Julius Caesar, elephant trampling serpent instead. Yeah, right. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin! I've been eyeing ancients for a while, and posts like yours keep tempting me to take the plunge. >>

I was always interested in them, even as a child collector. Even as a child, before I became a collector at age 10.

But I allowed myself to become intimidated by all the information and terminology I heard experts using. The learning curve seemed scary, and too steep. Finally, after hanging around on the fringes for a few years, I took the plunge. Now, five years into my romance with the ancients, I still would probably be considered a novice (or at least I feel that way over on the FORVM Ancient Coins boards), but I'm OK with that. I'm not as green as I used to be, and I know enough to not be embarrassed over admitting how little I know!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice as, LordM image I like your set presentation, too.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm green with envy.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    A very pleasing Caligula, LordM.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice coin! I've been eyeing ancients for a while, and posts like yours keep tempting me to take the plunge. >>

I was always interested in them, even as a child collector. Even as a child, before I became a collector at age 10.

But I allowed myself to become intimidated by all the information and terminology I heard experts using. The learning curve seemed scary, and too steep. Finally, after hanging around on the fringes for a few years, I took the plunge. Now, five years into my romance with the ancients, I still would probably be considered a novice (or at least I feel that way over on the FORVM Ancient Coins boards), but I'm OK with that. I'm not as green as I used to be, and I know enough to not be embarrassed over admitting how little I know! >>

+1, great post!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection