Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 7070 has begun. Cent for your thoughts?

So as a fairly new collector this is my very first venture into "old" coins. I'd appreciate your thoughts both good and bad on the coins and photos. If you would care to throw out a grade and maybe what the coins would be valued at I'd certainly like to hear that as well. Anyways. Hopefully I can get these pictures to cooperate. Thanks in advance. image

Comments

• Options
    Sorry for the fact these are 90 degrees off. I rotated them on my desktop, then again in photobucket where they appear correct on both, but they turn up sideways here. ?
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    They look like nice coins for a 7070. I'm looking for similar coins for my type set. I'm not an expert in either series but I'd grade the 1853 cent as a real nice VF with a value of $40-$50 or so and the half cent a F at $70-$80. Again, not my series...just a WAG both on grade and value. I'm looking forward to seeing other's opinions, I'm sure I'll learn something. I'd be happy to have both in my 7070.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They both appear to be coins with that honest circulated look.
    I too have toyed with the thought of doing a 7070, Morgans are starting to be come blah, sorta.
    Good luck with your pursuit,
    Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics and good start to your 7070.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I'd grade the large cent XF-40 and the half cent VF-35. Both have good eye appeal in my opinion...they'll look great in an album alongside other circulated coins. Have fun with the set image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice start... good looking copper.... good luck with the set...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    7070 is a lot of fun! You are off to a good start. Enjoy!
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah a 7070 is a lot of fun...and a great project! A couple of books that might be helpful are:

A Guide Book of United States Type Coins - Q David Bowers - Lots of good info...has mintages and approximate prices for varying grades. Helpful to choose what grades you should focus on.
    Assembling the Ideal 20th Century Type Set - David W Lange - Not as indepth as the above (it is a booklet really) but still a good read IMO. Has good info about which dates/mints to focus on.

Good luck and have fun!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good start, looks like you've actually paid us 1.5 cents for our thoughts.

BTW, did you recently pickup the 7070? They've been difficult to obtain for the last 1 - 2 years.
    If recent, can you shoot pics of all pages? I am interested to see if the pages have changed any from past versions of the album.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Something else you may consider to make your 7070 even more interesting... try to fill the holes with varieties. For example, my Washington quarter is a Type B reverse and my birth year (kindly given to me by board member NotSure), my zinc Lincoln is a wide AM, the Mercury dime has a nice die crack...like that. It makes the more mundane coins a lot more interesting.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    I got the 7070 just by accident really. I've seen them go on ebay for upwards of $80. At my LCS I just happened to ask if they had one, they said they recently got one at a show for a customer but they forgot which customer it was for. lol When they offered it to me for the normal price of 30 bucks I had to get it. I think it will be a lot of fun to work on so they'll make their money off me as I fill it in. image

As far as the pages go, it had 5 of them and they are the same as what I found with a quick Google search. I have no aspirations for the gold page as that is way out of my price range at the moment.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins--I really like the way that the 5 in the date on the large cent just flows into the curls.

Bob
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you luck with your 7070. Mine would be the last thing I'd give up from my collection, and I'm still upgrading and playing with it after 35 years! When you're done, you'll have a great heirloom.
    Best wishes,
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish you luck with your 7070. Mine would be the last thing I'd give up from my collection, and I'm still upgrading and playing with it after 35 years! When you're done, you'll have a great heirloom.
    Best wishes,
    Pete >>

Agreed, that's a great start, stick with it! Once you're done, you'll have a compact yet rather complete survey of the most popular US coins, that stores and displays like a book rather than a clunky box of loose slabs. Like Pete,, I've been working on this set of coins off and on for 35 years, and this album would be the last part of my collection I'd sell, more likely it's to be handed down to the next generation someday.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file