Home U.S. Coin Forum

OCC - paypal annual spreadsheet showing purchases & more

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
as usual i download my annual paypal statement showing every penny transferred in and out of my account

a nice nostalgic time to look over the years purchases and sales of usa numismatics with a few darksiders thrown in there

anyone else wanna share their purchase/sales amounts (total items, not dollar) of us coins paid via paypal?

total coin purchases 2012 - (9) - image
total coin transactions (could be more than one coin per transaction) 2012 - (570)

these do not show non-paypal purchases/sales of our lovely numismatic items

all of this derived from 53,320 cells of data!!! 1,333x40 - thankfully i've discovered data sort the past year.

nice to see the name of the people, dates, amounts etc. - in fact i have full paypal spreadsheets from the past 4 years. every usa coin bought/sold via paypal transactions easily over
150,000 cells of data

includes wheat cents/bulk world coins sold for .20-.50 each all the way to thousands of dollars (usually early 19th century/late 18th century for those amounts though.

puts in perspective (not really) just now much our numismatic items are bought/sold/collected across the globe. amazing how something so big could go so underappreciated by me for 30 years!

all the history, beauty, metals, designs, conversations etc etc. a nice career to have imo - reminds me of the videos i posted links to a while back and John D. in particular talking about having something so great to commit one's self to. quite inspirational.

just one of the many items moved through the bay - to friendly coin collectors/dealers

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    56 Pages of data printed out and filed with tax records.image

BTW that's not including the rest of the collection records just what I sold and sold for friends.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    luckily or unfortunately the move was bad for me.

I couldn't fill up a page and I've got net losses (PR69 stories)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>56 Pages of data printed out and filed with tax records.image >>

i guess to help me put it in perspective. Arial font size 10 for my 1,333 rows is 130 pages. this can be printed much smaller and the margins on the pages can be increased to get more per page but i didn't print mine out. the figures go into the tax organizer they send out each year. just keep the xls for backup and forward the totals to the accountant. i wouldn't wish untangling these things on nearly anyone. again, data sort significantly reduces the amount of time need to organize/calculate so more time can be spent playing with coins image

any favorite items anyone?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

ttt

for anyone wanting to save time/money getting and analyzing data so they can spend more time on the bourse and here image

i think there is another thread about this floating around here somewhere.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Why do you need data sort? isn't the data already organized upon download? I would think, at least organized by date and balance type (payment received vs. sent)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The logistics are annoying. I like the coins. Being a merchant is not all it's cracked up to be. It was easier being a contractor, but this business teaches me to be a better servant to THE people. And that's really my greatest love and joy.

People. All that other jargon is a major distraction in numismatics , for me. I love it when my customers are happy, no matter the "value". That they get value for their money is the only thing that matters to me.
    I often feel that way about my students. If the kid is really eager to learn, I'm happy to stay extra minutes even though it means a little less value for my time.
    There've been occasions where the lesson ends and we break out the chess board. I've been invited to join in family dinners. One mother made me risotto from scratch for the ride home. All the holiday greeting cards and gifts I've received, etc. ... The people are far more valuable than the dollars.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i>Why do you need data sort? >>

analyzing data - in order analyze it, it is useful to move it around. also ALL transactions are in together, purchases, sales, returns, etc.

that is easily extrapolated from my first post.

now lets look back at your question.

<< <i>Why do you need data sort? >>

and another answer could be:

<< <i>all of this derived from 53,320 cells of data!!! >>

so effectively you are asking me why would i need to sort 50k+ cells worth of data. think about it a minute and try to visualize 50k cells of data in excel and some benefits of organizing that amount of data.

why separate students by grade or age or educational level? just put em all together image

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a link on how to download this stuff. I still am old fashioned and use lined spread sheets for mine.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    Lance, instead of quoting only half of my question and then saying ridiculous things to try and make my post seem ridiculous, how about you quote my entire comment?
    Why do you need data sort? isn't the data already organized upon download? I would think, at least organized by date and balance type (payment received vs. sent)

<< <i>so effectively you are asking me why would i need to sort 50k+ cells worth of data >>

No, I was asking why the data you downloaded wasn't pre-sorted in a satisfactory manner. All of my statements separate payments from deposits. If I want to find specific transactions I use Ctrl+F (or Command+F).

To Bob's point, I also use spreadsheets for my data analyzing. The great thing about spreadsheets is you can sort by columns like date (although PayPal's transactions should already be sorted by date) or amount or any other column.

So, what exactly are you sorting? are you downloading CSV files into a text field or word processor?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i>Lance, instead of quoting only half of my question and then saying ridiculous things to try and make my post seem ridiculous, how about you quote my entire comment?

<< <i>so effectively you are asking me why would i need to sort 50k+ cells worth of data >>

No, I was asking why the data you downloaded wasn't pre-sorted in a satisfactory manner. All of my statements separate payments from deposits. If I want to find specific transactions I use Ctrl+F (or Command+F).

To Bob's point, I also use spreadsheets for my data analyzing. The great thing about spreadsheets is you can sort by columns like date (although PayPal's transactions should already be sorted by date) or amount or any other column.

So, what exactly are you sorting? are you downloading CSV files into a text field or word processor? >>

csv into excel, yes.

the default format is by date. so if i want to see a different arrangement of a specific column to extract specific transactions, data sort is required, unless i only download certain fields from paypal. just easier to d/l it all. i guess if i wanted to make a ton of people's lives exceedingly better quality, i could upload a video of why data sort is useful/required.

here is a snapshot (snip) of the bottom of an excel doc where i have data-sorted the tens of thousands of cells and extrapolated aka copy/paste into the apropos tab/sheet. the transaction are copied en mass since they are sorted and all together from the main/original paypal download which is the main sheet. i also keep an unedited version of each years transactions for quick reference.

<< <i>No, I was asking why the data you downloaded wasn't pre-sorted in a satisfactory manner. >>

i guess i didn't answer the question directly because it seemed obvious to me and asking it simply didn't make sense to me. since the transactions are default sorted by date, how else is one to derive the specific data one needs since transactions are all "jumbled" based on the date they took place, not by type or amount or whatever. search with ctrl+f or whatever, way too inefficient for this much data.

in any event, i posted this to help. image

since i started using this method, my efficiency has skyrocketed and the time spent tabulating has bottomed out. yay.

ttt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file