Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GB/UK "proof" vs "matte proof" identifying tips?

Trying to improve my identification skills regarding Great Britain matte proofs. For example, the 1937 and 1950-54 pennies. Having trouble when only photos are available, and I can't examine at various angles of lighting.

How do you tell the difference between proof and matte proof? even better, how do you tell the difference between matte proof and unc?

Maybe not the most searchable subject line, but if you're here with advice I'm eager to learn! imageimage

edit: Here's an example of one 1/2 penny, listed "proof" but I wouldn't have guessed from the photos:
GREAT-BRITAIN-1937-1-2-Penny-Proof-H-270
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matte proofs are basically NOT available. There is a suspicious 6d on ebay now graded PCGS66 that looks to NOT be a proof as an example, and the recent Spink sale of a 1950 proof florin was thought by prominent experts also to NOT be a matte.

Mattes have a muted tone that make them look like artist's models and there are not any reflective surfaces, or surfaces that once had been and are now toned over like the 1/2d in the example you have shown. They are rather dull....I do believe that Goldbergs and Heritage should have archived photos. The details are sharply impressed and the edges sharp as are denticles, beading, etc. - much more than an unc. You really have to see them together however...

Do NOT use the 1902s as examples as they do not really look like the later mattes. I will try to post pictures of a few next week if I can.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Eric. Photos would be greatly appreciated!

The eBay and Spink lots you cited are perfect examples of why I've had a hard time. Basically I don't know which source to trust, thus not certain I've ever seen an actual matte proof photographed (certainly not in person).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE