Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Newp: a Wildman from Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel

I don't have the coin in hand because the coin's been shipped to gmarguli (who will get it slabbed and imaged), but he likes the coin in hand. He says the reverse luster is tremendous, and there is no field wear on either side. Too bad that one of the wild men is so poorly struck.

This is Dav-2157, 1752-IBH, Duke Karl I (1735-1780), from the Zellerfeld mint (Johann Benjamin Hecht, mint master).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    HOLY SMOKES - that is a nice piece. I'll be interested to see what it grades. Any predictions? I might wager 65 on that one unless the rub and weak area knocks it to 64.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful piece! Haven't seen the type before. Well done.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    That is weird how one dude is well-struck and the other not-so-much. I wonder why/how that happened in the minting process? The lettering near him, that side of the crest, and the edging looks normal.

Really a beautiful design. I love that it's silver. Makes me want to grab my tent and go backpacking!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. No guess on grade (don't want to jinx anything), but I didn't pay small money for this coin.

EVP

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I like that reverse design, a lot.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brings to mind that hit song of 1612, The Silver Swan.

Actually, I think the coin is known as an Ausbeutetaler, referencing a mine pit near Lautenthal.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is weird how one dude is well-struck and the other not-so-much. I wonder why/how that happened in the minting process? The lettering near him, that side of the crest, and the edging looks normal.

Really a beautiful design. I love that it's silver. Makes me want to grab my tent and go backpacking! >>

I would guess grease in the Die or some other substance.

Very pretty piece.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>HOLY SMOKES - that is a nice piece. I'll be interested to see what it grades. Any predictions? I might wager 65 on that one unless the rub and weak area knocks it to 64. >>

My grade is posted by our hosts. 62. Lower than I had hoped (63), but higher than I had feared (58). I suppose that the grade is fair enough from in-hand assessment.

EVP

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I read that as the rub on the obverse and soft strike on reverse wildman knocked it down a few levels. Still a beautiful piece no matter how you look at it.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a perfect example of a piece bound to be graded lower but looks and feels better.

The details and strike is just wonderful - but the defects forced the lower grade - I'd bet you got a 62 more for the chatter on the obverse than the weak wildman on the reverse. Just an amzing newp imho really is.