Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pferdezucht

From what I can tell, this was a popular design, but it is the first time that I have seen one.
Particularly interesting is that the reverse design is accredited (not that unusual), but also has the address of the original vendor; J. D'Estray at 4 Rue Greffulhe, Paris.

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nice one. I might even like this one a tad better.

Eh, I dunno. I like the horse on the other, and the oak wreath that one has, but something about the way the reverse is segmented into six parts on this one appeals to me.

I think because it subconsciously reminds me of the Tanzania 5-shilling (Shilingi Tano) pieces I used to get for allowance and special occasions when I was a little kid in Tanzania. Maybe y'all won't see the connection, and the Tanzanian coin has four segments instead of six, but I think my mind made that association. I've always sort of liked designs that had that look, somehow.

Of course the obverse design on this one you just posted is lovely, too. Do I detect an equestrian theme going on, here?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the past few years, I have toyed with various types of themes. One of the few that have lasted is the equestrian. The one limitation is that I try to avoid any which commemorate horse racing. I prefer the pastoral themes.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pastoral is good. I went with a pastoral scene for my present sigline picture. (Shot it out in the marshes, on my way to work one day.)

And I've always liked Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony (#6).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.