Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Statehood Quarter program in hindsight.

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
Happened to be cleaning out some old Coin Worlds and Numismatics News from my library, and of course I had to flip through a few of them, and just came across a March 29, 2004 CW with a picture of Daniel Carr's proposed Maryland quarter with a sailboat out in the Bay and a crab up on the shore. It is so much better than the adopted design.

Now that we have had time to digest the series, let's once again play "What are your favorites?" "What are your duds?"

I'll start with the Michigan as my dud, designed from an old Speedway 79 gas station map.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some are too simple: Wyoming
    Some are too busy: Nevada

Best: Washington
    2nd best: Wisconsin

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's an outside contribution

MI or NH are duds

maybe NV, AZ or CO are ok.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Agree.....I like Dcar's art.

Some day the rest of the world will see it my way.. image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Agree.....I like Dcar's art.

Some day the rest of the world will see it my way.. image >>

I love his original art.

Daniel, could you post a picture of your Maryland here?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked Delaware and Vermont. Not crazy about the clip-art designs...Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, Florida.

Daniel did a great job on NY and RI. image
    Lance.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really dig Vermont as well. I rather like Maryland, too.

That series got me back into collecting after a 6 year hiatus. I didn't even know they were doing the program until I got a Delaware quarter in change.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's Dan's design for the Maryland SHQ

imageimage

Having visited NH many times, that SHQ is one of the ones I appreciate the most. It's simple and iconic. I also like DE and NV.

I think they could have did a better job with some of the busier, collage, ones as well as the ones that used the outline of the state.
  • I like the CT quarter--it was the first "good" one so it stuck in my mind. Have grown to really like Nevada also, especially as it seemed to look good in the hand.

Sentimentally, I like the designs for Iowa and Nebraska. Old-timey a bit, I love it.

The Wisconsin quarter, with Bossy, the Cheddar Wheel, and "Forward", is so bizarre it's fascinating, extra leaves or no.

Remarkable after all the attention given these that the public is totally unaware of the ATB program. I suspect the combination of media fragmentation and lack of attention to pocket change in general as it becomes less valuable are contributors.

<< <i>Remarkable after all the attention given these that the public is totally unaware of the ATB program. I suspect the combination of media fragmentation and lack of attention to pocket change in general as it becomes less valuable are contributors. >>

I get a lot of ATBQs in change, including 2 more Denali's today. On average, I prefer the ATBQ designs. I do think they are promoted less and less people know about National Parks than States. A while ago I saw a TV show where they interviewed people on the street and most people they found and showed couldn't name the 5 closest states to them. Of course, I'm sure they dramatized it by purposely showing people who didn't know.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still like the charter oak.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Fav was the first one. Nice & historical. Also liked NC's

Dud would have to be Wyoming's followed by DC's. Not that there is anything wrong with Duke but it seems that the nations capital could have come up with something a lil more fitting.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

<< <i>Fav was the first one. Nice & historical. >>

I also like the DE quarter, however, it is controversial with the original designer, along with the Maine (Daniel's) and Missouri SHQs, since the US Mint changed the submitted designs.

The original DE design was from Eddy Seger who has written about the controversy on his website.

He also had his design minted by NCM with an image on his website:

It's interesting to note that it says "Tribute Proof" where "Quarter Dollar" should be. The original NCM versions did say Quarter Dollar but they seem hard to find now. I think the renditions of the original designs are interesting, NCM for DE and MO, Daniel Carr for his own ME design.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Fav was the first one. Nice & historical. >>

I also like the DE quarter, however, it is controversial with the original designer, along with the Maine (Daniel's) and Missouri SHQs, since the US Mint changed the submitted designs.

The original DE design was from Eddy Seger who has written about the controversy on his website.

He also had his design minted by NCM with an image on his website:

It's interesting to note that it says "Tribute Proof" where "Quarter Dollar" should be. The original NCM versions did say Quarter Dollar but they seem hard to find now. I think the renditions of the original designs are interesting, NCM for DE and MO, Daniel Carr for his own ME design.

image >>

NCM also issued District of Columbia and Puerto Rico "quarters" that I designed. In fact, my 2004 PR quarter design is very similar to the US Mint's 2009 PR design.
    NCM produced the DC and PR quarters with dates from 2004 to 2009. Most were silver-plated. A few were solid silver and were marked as such on the edge.
    I'm only missing one of them - the 2005 PR solid silver version (I've not been able to confirm if that one was even made).
    I have heard of at least one of these NCM District of Columbia "quarters" being found in circulation alongside regular quarters.

This does make for an interesting collection - state quarter designs that were privately minted.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zoins ... thank you for the Maryland images.
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Make no mistake about it, I love the State of New Hampshire, and I completely understand New Hampshire's love for their beloved "Man of the Mountain", tragically lost in a natural disaster. But the depiction of the "Man of the Mountain" on their Statehood Quarter looks somewhere between an overcooked marshmallow and the Michelin Man. Certainly a better depiction could have been used if that was to be the best representation for the beautiful State of New Hampshire.

As for the best design, and being fully aware of the potential accusations of native bias, the lighthouse scene with the sloop Victory Chimes for the Maine Statehood Quarter certainly has artistic merit.

[And I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the beautiful Charter Oak design on the Connecticut Statehood Quarter].
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Becky
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Fun Topic, Capn'!

I'm going to have to shake things up here and go with Alaska and Puerto Rico.

Honorable mentions to Nevada, Oklahoma, Missouri, Washington, and California. I suppose I've got a Western/nature bias here.

My FAVORITE, though, was Daniel Carr's Indiana quarter with an outline of the state and the motto "Crossroads to Hell"!

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently a man called for a "SET" of statehood quarters put out by a certain distributor. Marketed packaging. So the customer wants another set that matches the two he purchased for his other 2 children. I cannot create "packaging". A bit of a quandary , nonetheless. Just a point of reference since this is "current events" for me.

Another customer wants the "gold plated" from 2004 or 2006. There were gold, silver, platinum plated sets in the "aftermarket", too. And people collect them.

It's a day of rest, but I could use a drink, TD.
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    wyoming definately could have used a bit more detail in the "cookie cutter" design. my fave is washington... or whatever state has the chinook salmon, when everyone i know is heading north for hunting season, ill be on a river playing tug of war with one of the strongest fish the good lord ever graced upon this earth.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>This does make for an interesting collection - state quarter designs that were privately minted. >>

Let's not forget the parody state quarters (including Carr's own issues), some of which are more memorable than the US Mint issues.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were some very nice designs (i.e. Connecticut), but many were commercialized 'design by committee' illustrations. I much prefer numismatic design by individual artists. Our current mint produces mostly committee sanctioned coins and that is a sure way to kill art. Cheers, RickO
  • SenexSenex Posts: 483
    Least favorite: Wyoming - flat and lifeless - even in proof it's blah.
    Favorite: Connecticut - by far the best design of all the series - especially impressive as a silver proof.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For historical importance, I Like New Hampshire, since the Ol' man fell down shortly after issuance. For design, I like Alaska. The worst has got to be Wyoming. They could have done better with the outline of the state. 2nd worst is New Mexico, with the Trinity test site in the center of the state outline.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

<< <i>Make no mistake about it, I love the State of New Hampshire, and I completely understand New Hampshire's love for their beloved "Man of the Mountain", tragically lost in a natural disaster. But the depiction of the "Man of the Mountain" on their Statehood Quarter looks somewhere between an overcooked marshmallow and the Michelin Man. Certainly a better depiction could have been used if that was to be the best representation for the beautiful State of New Hampshire.

As for the best design, and being fully aware of the potential accusations of native bias, the lighthouse scene with the sloop Victory Chimes for the Maine Statehood Quarter certainly has artistic merit.

[And I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the beautiful Charter Oak design on the Connecticut Statehood Quarter]. >>

While I think the Old Man of the Mountain could have been implemented better, it's adequate for me. Your feelings about the NH actually mirrors my feelings about the CT. The image posted by LindeDad is beautiful, but every time I see one in hand at quarter size, the design looks like a bunch of squiggly lines to me. Of course, I may also be biased from comparing it to the beautifully executed classic commem (CCHD).

The ME quarter is interesting from design perspective because the state chose Dan's design but the Mint reversed and modified the view to one that doesn't actually exist for the coin. It seems like artistic license is desired for coin / medal designs in the case of Eddy Seger's DE (Rodney's facial disfiguration) and Dan Carr's ME (direction). Of course, it's has since come full circle with Dan's Colorado Springs Coin Club (CSCC) 50th Anniversary Medal taking artistic license with the direction of Pike's Peak from the General Palmer statue. All the end designs were well executed based on perceived ideal perspectives which is interesting when studying how designs are introduced and adjusted for implementation.
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    My two cents, I think that the ATB quarters are the way it should have been in the first place. The State Quarters look like too much clip art to me.

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 778 ✭✭✭
    Living in Texas back in 2004, the Texas Statehood quarter kindled my childhood interests in Numismatics as an adult. The Lone Star State Quarter is a quality design... simple with a statehood message. Then in Dec. 2004- Febr. 2005, I kept hearing about some pair of "Extra Leaf" quarters that had been discovered in Tucson. My thoughts at the time was "Bless Their Hearts" and enjoy your discovery. Then, in Jan 2005, I started looking for and finding some BU examples right here in my own backyard of San Antonio. The rest is history. The WI design really doesn't due much for me; though Wisconsin is a great state. But the newly found WI varieties changed my life. Whether for good or bad, the verdict is still out. I thought that it was interesting that no dealer has mentioned the WI quarters in this thread. "To each their own". Have a great day collecting your choice of coins.
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>My two cents, I think that the ATB quarters are the way it should have been in the first place. The State Quarters look like too much clip art to me. >>

I agree the ATBs are much more artistically engraved and executed. I really enjoy looking at them. That being said, it's hard to argue with the popularity of the SHQs.
    I'm partial to Tennessee.image
  • JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Love Connecticut
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • In terms of subject matter, I like Nebraska, Iowa, and North Dakota.

In terms of design dynamics, I think Delaware and Connecticut did the best job of adhering to the cardinal rule of "less is usually more" in coin design.
    Robert
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Living in Texas back in 2004, the Texas Statehood quarter kindled my childhood interests in Numismatics as an adult. The Lone Star State Quarter is a quality design... simple with a statehood message. Then in Dec. 2004- Febr. 2005, I kept hearing about some pair of "Extra Leaf" quarters that had been discovered in Tucson. My thoughts at the time was "Bless Their Hearts" and enjoy your discovery. Then, in Jan 2005, I started looking for and finding some BU examples right here in my own backyard of San Antonio. The rest is history. The WI design really doesn't due much for me; though Wisconsin is a great state. But the newly found WI varieties changed my life. Whether for good or bad, the verdict is still out. I thought that it was interesting that no dealer has mentioned the WI quarters in this thread. "To each their own". Have a great day collecting your choice of coins. >>

Texas was one of the most successful designs because it was simple, bold, and iconic.
    Many of the designs were way too ambitious for the small, low relief format. Others
    were just poorly conceived or executed.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    "What are your favorites?" "What are your duds?"

DUD. image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>@Zoins ... thank you for the Maryland images. >>

@TD: You're welcome. I'm a big fan of numismatic history, and I think designs from Dan Carr, Eddy Seger, and others today are just as noteworthy as alternate designs from artists and sculptors in the past. Designs today and in the past are both of interest to me.

<< <i>This does make for an interesting collection - state quarter designs that were privately minted. >>

@DC: I agree. The Mint and States did something unique in choosing the first few designs. It was a neat process and created a lot of excitement and history. This is why I enjoy your alternate submitted designs series for the quarters and small dollars.

Similar to your documentation of the selection of your designs, here are photos for Seger's (just found from eBay actually). It would be nice to get some better scans for archival purposes.

imageimage
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of these designs actually look better with a little wear. The Georgia was one of my
    least favorites but a nice XF looks pretty good. If the Wyoming could circulate long enough
    I think it would look good too but it will need to be in VG.
    Tempus fugit.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Nevada imo is the best.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I vote for Rhode Island. The sailboat in the wind with the bridge in the background.
    Simple, not clip art.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always liked the Hawaii and Montana designs.

I'm from California and we did not get a very good one, it was too cluttered.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Agree that the ATB quarters as a series are MUCH more attractive than the SLQs. It's a shame the series hasn't caught on for various reasons. Most adults still don't even know it exists.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    actually, the Hot Springs bidet is the one I dislike most over the SHQ and ATB.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread! Usually, anything about the Statehood Quarters,gets shot down,cold heartened. In a trivia sense, I'd pick the Illinois Quarter. It's the only Quarter with not just one President on the coin but two. Lincoln as well as Washington. Two of our greatest! (my opinion). but my favorite design would have to be the North Dakota. I'm sorry, I'm bias on the ole Buffalo! -joey imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    To me the worst two were Florida (clip-art images) and New Hampshire (a big blob of metal). Another bad one is Alabama (Helen Keller with no legs). Now that I think about it, Louisana was another bad example of clip-art.
    Matt
  • kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    I like Arizona for it's "postcard" themed design and the Charter Oak on the Connecticut. But I'll have to admit I enjoy the Oak on the CT early commem a lot better.

<< <i>Cool thread! Usually, anything about the Statehood Quarters,gets shot down,cold heartened. In a trivia sense, I'd pick the Illinois Quarter. It's the only Quarter with not just one President on the coin but two. Lincoln as well as Washington. Two of our greatest! (my opinion). but my favorite design would have to be the North Dakota. I'm sorry, I'm bias on the ole Buffalo! -joey imageimage >>

I think it's really neat having so many different quarters in circulation. All the diversity
    is even causing lots of the bicentennial quarters to get back into circulation which better
    bridges the gap between the early clads and the states issues as well as the gap to the
    silver Washingtons.

I agree with the ND buffalo quarter pick but then I started with buffalo nickels so am a
    little biased on the issue. I like the Kansas, too, for the same reason.
    Tempus fugit.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I like the program for what it promotes and my two fav are Connecticut and Maryland
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool thread! Usually, anything about the Statehood Quarters,gets shot down,cold heartened. In a trivia sense, I'd pick the Illinois Quarter. It's the only Quarter with not just one President on the coin but two. Lincoln as well as Washington. Two of our greatest! (my opinion). but my favorite design would have to be the North Dakota. I'm sorry, I'm bias on the ole Buffalo! -joey imageimage >>

I think it's really neat having so many different quarters in circulation. All the diversity
    is even causing lots of the bicentennial quarters to get back into circulation which better
    bridges the gap between the early clads and the states issues as well as the gap to the
    silver Washingtons.

I agree with the ND buffalo quarter pick but then I started with buffalo nickels so am a
    little biased on the issue. I like the Kansas, too, for the same reason. >>

Yeah! I forgot about the Kansas Buff. as a matter of fact, I think I prefer the Kansas over the N.D. sorry North Dakota. imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    The nice thing is that a collection can be put together relatively easy with pocket change. Like the old days of wheat cents. It's the blue collar that supports the hobby, by and large.
    A hidden blessing, in disguise. Who knows WHEN new errors might/will be discovered with a better educated society of young people searching ? The kids with the EAGLE EYES are out there. No offense to Mr Snow, who's coined that name rather famously. They're out there (eagle eyes and errors).
    There are just too many million coins to look at. Coins will always be a "Treasure Hunt" for the numismatists. Right ? We must face this reality, as painful as it may read to "haters" or "scoffers and mockers" of the fundamental mechanics of the trade/hobby, because; in essence, collectors have to assemble. Every time I start a simple collection, there seems to be a P or a D mint I have to go "buy from another dealer".
    And to be honest, it wasn't the ten thousand treed variety that makes me think this, or the Wisconsin Quarter "leaf" saga. It's the missing clad layers, sintered planchets, etc., that have proven over and over what will and does happen with the production of coins.
    My thoughts wrapped up in a nutshell.

<< <i>The nice thing is that a collection can be put together relatively easy with pocket change. Like the old days of wheat cents. It's the blue collar that supports the hobby, by and large.
    A hidden blessing, in disguise. Who knows WHEN new errors might/will be discovered with a better educated society of young people searching ? The kids with the EAGLE EYES are out there. No offense to Mr Snow, who's coined that name rather famously. They're out there (eagle eyes and errors).
    There are just too many million coins to look at. Coins will always be a "Treasure Hunt" for the numismatists. Right ? We must face this reality, as painful as it may read to "haters" or "scoffers and mockers" of the fundamental mechanics of the trade/hobby, because; in essence, collectors have to assemble. Every time I start a simple collection, there seems to be a P or a D mint I have to go "buy from another dealer".
    And to be honest, it wasn't the ten thousand treed variety that makes me think this, or the Wisconsin Quarter "leaf" saga. It's the missing clad layers, sintered planchets, etc., that have proven over and over what will and does happen with the production of coins.
    My thoughts wrapped up in a nutshell. >>

There are nearly 200 different clad quarters in circulation now NOT counting varieties
    and errors! If it's too easy to find a WY denver in Unc a collector can try finding a DE
    philly in nice attractive AU. If it's still too easy then try all 200 in VF to BU. Try to find
    all the varieties and search for unreported varieties! Yes, it's a really fun treasure hunt
    as as time goes by the scarcities will begin to disappear and then it won't be as much
    fun.

History always repeats.
    Tempus fugit.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i still say wyoming is still the fugliest of them all. then floriduh. i like the connecticut and vermont.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of the designs actually produced by the US Mint, my favorites are West Virginia and Rhode Island (I'm biased on the latter, of course image )

Of the designs not actually produced by the US Mint (but were privately minted), my favorites are:

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Best: CT, MS, NV, MT, OK

Worst: PA, TN, OH, LA, IN, MI, FL

Anything with a state outline is a non-starter in my book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file