Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nikon D7100

lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
Anyone using this model for coin photography? It looks to be the latest and greatest.
I brake for ear bars.

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understand it
    The lens is much more important than the body

I'm very happy with my d90
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm VERY happy with the D3100....if that helps.

jom
  • Options
    My D5100 works great!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    My D5000 with Sigma 150mm lens can't be beat image
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My D5000 with Sigma 150mm lens can't be beat image >>

ya, your images are looking a lot better now image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My D5100 works great!

Herb >>

What lens do you recommend to go with the D5100, for coin photos?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I know all of these Nikon models have a great track record, but it appears the D7100 model offers greater megapixels and a far greater number of autofocus points.

Does anyone here actually use the D7100?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know all of these Nikon models have a great track record, but it appears the D7100 model offers greater megapixels and a far greater number of autofocus points.

Does anyone here actually use the D7100? >>

A greater number of autofocus points are of little use in macro work and unless you are making poster sized prints of your coins, any DSLR from the last 5 years should have enough megapixels. The D7100 has great specs and I don't think Canon or Nikon really turn out a bad DSLR. If I was a Nikon shooter and looking for a new body, I would definitely be looking seriously at the D7100. However, if you are only using it for coin photos I would probably get something a older that is used and cheaper.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously considering the D3200 from B&H for $546.95 shipped, with the 18-55, Ruggard Hunter 25 DSLR Holster Bag, SanDisk 16GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I. The 18-55 is pretty much useless but will allow me to experiment. Only 11 FP's but using it for macro/coin imaging I believe it's irrelevant. You have to start somewhere right? What is the minimum size macro lens I should get? 50mm? 85? Stick with Nikor or Sigma after market? It's the best deal I could find. If you know of a better one chime in.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shoot with a D7000 and it's a fantastic piece of kit. Almost no sense these days going for FX format unless you really need higher ISO, and just like heavy lenses.

Sigma 150 Macro is really the only way to go if you want adequate working space for lighting. Anything shorter with small coins and it's like impossible to get the light in there as the camera is way in the way.
  • Options
    The 150 will allow how much distance from the coin, 15"?
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro Lens (For Nikon) $1100 bucks image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, with a small cent, about 15".

Should get you somewhere close to:

• Options
    Nice image, $1100 is a bit out of reach. I would have to find a one used, there out there. If I'm shooting Morgans and halves what would you suggest? Surely an 90mm should be plenty right? I bet a 90mm would work for all coins if you used Micro flexible LED's, to get the light on the coin versus using desklamps. I'm very resourceful and shot this with a Pringles can and a 8x macro screw on lens, mounted to a P&S. image

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I use the previous model the D7000 with Nikon macro lens. If I ever get the photos good I will post them. See nothing below.

nothing.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file