Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1639 Mexico "Royal" 4 Reales

Just picked up this ex: Huntington piece. Paid the buyer a big profit, which is a long story for another day. Bottom line is that I'm very happy with it. The question is, can anybody here tell me if there are any other known examples of this coin?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coin, Andy. No idea about other examples, sorry. Don't follow these, personally, but I can send a note to Carlos J? I think this is something up his alley.

Speaking of the Huntington sale, were you not in attendance? What are your thoughts on it? I placed some strong bids on a few pieces and was blown out of the water by multiples of my bid.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of the Huntington sale, were you not in attendance? What are your thoughts on it? I placed some strong bids on a few pieces and was blown out of the water by multiples of my bid.

Yes, I was there. One of the cooler sales I've been to, although I was disappointed that some of the best Latin American coins in the collection did not make it to auction. As for prices, I thought they were mostly realistic. Of course there were a few bargains, and a few runaways, but most of the prices made sense to me.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holey cow....I don't even know what I am looking at......
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Holey cow...

Nice pun!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really incredible coin! I loved it since I first laid eyes on it.

You did the wrong thing by dropping out of the bidding, but you redeemed yourself by buying it. Who knows, you may actually have even saved money doing it the way you did.
  • Options
    By the way, I collect 4Rs, so maybe one day, it will be transferred to my vault....image
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would someone punch the hole in such rarity? very nice, btw.
  • Options
    Most "Royals" have holes. That's probably how they survived--because they were someone's jewelry.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh boy...I know nothing of these....image

You are aware there is a hole in it right? image

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    our very own lord marcv asked I intercede so I can snatch this holed piece from you, and send it onward to his home base where it rightfully belongsimage
  • Options
    Most "Royals" have holes. That's probably how they survived--because they were someone's jewelry.

Given that most Royals show no signs of jewelry wear, I'd say it's more likely that the coins were intended to be worn, but rarely were.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>Speaking of the Huntington sale, were you not in attendance? What are your thoughts on it? I placed some strong bids on a few pieces and was blown out of the water by multiples of my bid.

Yes, I was there. One of the cooler sales I've been to, although I was disappointed that some of the best Latin American coins in the collection did not make it to auction. As for prices, I thought they were mostly realistic. Of course there were a few bargains, and a few runaways, but most of the prices made sense to me. >>

Must be just the lots I was after, then. One went for over 10 times the estimate and the other 2.5 times the estimate. Both are common coins with quite a few certified in MS by both PCGS and NGC.

• Options
    The 1804 Mexico 8R was spectacular. 65+ on a bad day, with great color and as fresh as you can imagine. I think I underbid it, or at least came close.

I'd have to check my notes to see what I thought about the 1806...
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>The 1804 Mexico 8R was spectacular. 65+ on a bad day, with great color and as fresh as you can imagine. I think I underbid it, or at least came close.

I'd have to check my notes to see what I thought about the 1806... >>

That makes a lot more sense.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The 1804 Mexico 8R was spectacular. 65+ on a bad day, with great color and as fresh as you can imagine. I think I underbid it, or at least came close.

I'd have to check my notes to see what I thought about the 1806... >>

That makes a lot more sense. >>

And of course, the estimates meant absolutely nothing. Nor did the auction house grades, frankly.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's one holey I never had.

I've got some twos of that era, and a four and an eight from much later, but obviously I've never had a Royal.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The 1804 resurfaced on this side of the ocean in today's Stack's sale. This time in an NGC MS64 holder (without Huntington pedigree noted). Sold for 4K+juice. Are people betting on an upgrade? Or is it just trading dealer hands?
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how different those pictures look...
  • Options

<< <i>It's amazing how different those pictures look... >>

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1804 resurfaced on this side of the ocean in today's Stack's sale. This time in an NGC MS64 holder (without Huntington pedigree noted). Sold for 4K+juice. Are people betting on an upgrade? Or is it just trading dealer hands? >>

Well, given the £2,200 bid, plus 20% bidder's fee, and forex on the day, it cost $3996 to the buyer (exclusive of VAT).

So, not much wiggle room for profit. The buyer could have "gambled" on TSLA on the day and been $10k ahead.......even after Tesla's slaughter of the last two odd weeks. image
  • Options
    And the price keeps climbing. CRO just published their early bird inventory and something tells me that the MS64 PCGS 8R they don't have a picture for is this Huntington piece. Listed at just under $6,000.
  • Options
    Hmm... Although it could be this one:

• Options
    That 1804 Huntington 8R just doesn't do anything for me. Between the ugly toning and the week center on the reverse.

If I was in the market for such a coin at that lofty price, I'd wait for a nicer one (which would probably come out in an auction along the lines of a Millennia Collection or Caballero de las Yndias).

Edited to add: From the photos alone, I'd much prefer 2K's 1804. Nicer strike and eye appeal to me.
  • Options

<< <i>Edited to add: From the photos alone, I'd much prefer 2K's 1804. Nicer strike and eye appeal to me. >>

Do you mean this one or the second coin I posted above? 1804's are tough to find fully struck, original, and in MS, but not impossible.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1804 8R is lot #379 from that sale. It's also now on hold in the CRO inventory. Not my area, but I hope it makes its new owner very happy!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The eye appeal on those two 1804s is so drastically different, brown to silver. I'm not sure which I like better. I tend to prefer silver always but I don't know about 1804 silver looking that new ... is it PL or simply BU?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    From the photos at least (and having never seen any in-hand) either look better than the Huntington coin. Particularly at $4000-6000!