Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First of the Worst - Morgan Dollar Major Variety Low Ball Set (Fully Imaged)

As of yesterday I became King of Crud, First of the Worst.. in the PCGS Morgan Dollars with Major Varieties Low Ball set. The 117 coin set is fully imaged for your viewing displeasure.. It took a couple of years (and it's still a work in progress)... but completing a set and taking first place is always fulfilling (albeit potentially short lived). I have many to thank along my journey of bottom feeding but this is not the time or the place... Follow the link to the set!

Worning - Morgan Dollar w/ Major Varieties Low Ball Set

Comments

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job, like it or not this kind of set isn't easy. A lowball variety set is interesting in that some coins are by nature of the variety required to be higher in grade than your normal lowball coin - otherwise the variety wouldn't be recognizable.
  • Options
    I like it. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

It really seems the wear on the obverse is by far the determining factor in the grade.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the most you ever saw a PO-01 sell for? What coin was it?
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tyvm for posting nice images to go with your set and congratz!!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your singularly lousy set!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Cool set
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that horribleimage set had to take quite a long time to assemble.

Really image

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh My! No way to do that with a Mercury Dime Variety Set. Many varieties have to be EF-AU or better to identify but there are some that you could have low grades with.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!! Nice set and accomplishment.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A job well done and I really like the 1901 DDR showing the worn away doubling image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1885-CC is no easy feat!
    Congratulations on a wonderful, honest Registry set.

peacockcoins

• Options
    markinsdmarkinsd Posts: 112 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone..

Regarding the most expensive PO01.. I was recently an under bidder on an 1894-s PO01 that sold for $465. I obviously paid more for my 93-s, but a PCGS AG03 94-s is worth like $50-60 bucks so a pretty dramatic difference in price for the PO01.

I probably bought about half of the set already in holders.. and had the other half graded over the past 2 or so years. Had to buy most of the harder ones raw.. The coin I just added to complete the set is an 1880-cc VAM-6 Low 7 graded F12. I picked the coin in a NGC F12 holder but PCGS wouldn't cross it so sent it back raw and it graded fine. image

The wear is a huge factor for the varieties. I actually have what I believe to be an 1880-cc VAM-6 Low 7 in a PCGS G04 holder. I can see all the pups but PCGS rejected it. I might send it back with a note..

I still have 2 MS coins in the set which to me is unacceptable. One is virtually impossible to find well circulated.. that's the 1880/9-s VAM-11. I am about to crack out an MS coin and circulate the darn thing myself if I can't find one.. The other is the 1880-cc VAM-5 High 7. I bought a nice looking raw XF VAM-5 on ebay but the coin that arrived was bent. That was almost a year ago and still looking..
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on a cool and fun set, no doubt you put a lot of energy into it!
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..One is virtually impossible to find well circulated.. that's the 1880/9-s VAM-11. I am about to crack out an MS coin and circulate the darn thing myself if I can't find one... >>

I'm sure a lot of folks here would disagree, but I say go for it!
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow cool set. The worst possible-say culls, or could you worsen a set by using culls?

<< <i>

<< <i>..One is virtually impossible to find well circulated.. that's the 1880/9-s VAM-11. I am about to crack out an MS coin and circulate the darn thing myself if I can't find one... >>

I'm sure a lot of folks here would disagree, but I say go for it! >>

You are right--I disagree--Why ruin a MS coin? Besides--that's cheating.--- The fun is in the hunt--just keep searching.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! I love your collection! What a accomplishment. Very intriguing. You must be very proud of your set there? Esp. the four 1 POPS. you have. This has got to be an set,1 out of 1000. Not too many collectors,would be chasing these. Thanks for sharing. Have you received any offers? If I had the $,I would definitely buy! This is what we would call,"rare". I'm sure you get a lot of slack,slabbing these but I commend you. Very Interesting set. Keep on going! Love ya set! -joey imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I just missed the memo, but I see PCGS now has a "Pop Lower" column for these sets image

That's a great set.

• Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! I'm now 8 years into my set (1792-1964 type) and have been #1 since the inception. You are right in that like a MS set, you are never down. One of the things I like is that many times when you sell a coin from the set, the replacement cost cost less than the coin you replaced! An interesting situation...
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats, i like it image
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You low ball people are just a little twisted, but congrats on being the worst!!!image
  • Options
    $1000.00 MWH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file