Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

General Coin Cleaning Advice

<< <i>I have some old coins that are tarnished. How can I safely clean them?

Once a coin has been tarnished, there is no way to completely restore newly-minted luster. Ordinary coins, if they are in reasonably good condition, may be freshened by rubbing them with cheesecloth or cotton that has been moistened with a paste consisting of baking soda and a few drops of water. However, it should be noted that the condition of a coin plays an important part in any valuation of its value as a collector's item. The finish could be inadvertently destroyed or seriously affected by the indiscriminate use of a cleaning agent. If you believe that you have coins that are, or could be, of numismatic value, you should seek advice from a coin dealer or advanced collector regarding methods currently being used by them to clean coins. >>

Agree or disagree? Discuss! image

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have some old coins that are tarnished. How can I safely clean them? >>

if a person has to ask, the answer is unequivocally "don't even think about it" image

edited to add:

novices messing with coins is a magical way to turn a moose into a mouse image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baking soda and water makes a fine abrasive. Guaranteed to rip the surface off of a coin.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    The shortest book ever written:

"How to Clean Coins"

It reads:

"Don't"
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Agree or disagree? >>

Agree with the government? You can, if you like. image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The shortest book ever written:

"How to Clean Coins"

It reads:

"Don't" >>

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    This is from a 1950's handbook on coins, right?
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shortest answer should be "Send it to a qualified conservation company like NCS." Like everything else there is a right way and a wrong way.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>This is from a 1950's handbook on coins, right? >>

Google is your friend.
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

The government at work.

That advice definitely needs changed. They need to add that a pencil eraser can brighten your coins.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds lilke a quote from the first Van Allen-Mallis book. The baking soda idea is surely obsolete at this point. Which doesn't stop mail order and internet sellers from doing it indiscriminatelyt. I remember a local mail order dealer who asked me if I had a 35-S quarter. I brought him a brilliant white gem for maybe $90. A crappy one was worth maybe half. "That'll work great". He immediately went into the back and 5 minutes later came back with a smooth dipped and soda'd coin and I asked him why he'd done it. "Fits in and finishes a set I can ship out to fill an order. If I left it looking like that it would stick out like a sore thumb." I sighed and, per Harry Chapin, I stuffed the bill in my shirt". Ah well......

Many dealers have some idea of how to "clean" coins via thioureic acid (Jewel-Luster et al.). Some know how to neutralize the process (avoid occurence of "dip residue"). Many more do not.

Some coins will benefit. Others will not. Ironically, the best at this are also privy to coin doctoring techniques. How did they learn to do this well? Years and years of experimentation with some failures and increasingly positive results. I've only been paid more than $1,000 to dip a coin a very few times. I've refused to do many many more. And explained why. Too dark, too thick, rub will show, ED lurking... Some listened. Dip residue? image Almost always fast and easy money. image

YMMV

In the PNG Coin Doctoring Definition committee dialogue, the idea of dipping provoked more specific arguments as a form of doctoring than any other issue addressed. Feldini and James Garcia were adamant that this is a form of doctoring. On the purest technical level they are correct. A layer of metal, no matter how minute, has been removed.

Nevertheless, as an industry (commercial) standard, that ship has sailed, sillver dollars being the area where it is most prevalent. The mantra even 10 yars ago was "white is right, toned gets boned". Now some here and elsewhere favor originality, attractive or not.

Circ coins below 55 suffer more than mint state coins.

Collect what you likeimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

LOL!
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    "and for those particularly pesky spots, gently rub with an ordinary pencil eraser." Ouch!
    Paul
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We just pour whiskey on the bullet wounds and go back to work.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely outdated and just plain wrong.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best answer I can come up with for that question is:

Collectors of old coins like them to look old. Just like collectors of antique furniture. So don't clean any coins!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Certainly the factors are will it help or hurt, the value and looks?
    I have had nice results using MS-70 product Sparingly AND GENTLY.
    Removes grime and dirt, does not affect toning.
    Started and PRACTICED by using coins that were basically 90% junk, however, some were nice.
    Works well.
    Mostly used on metal detector recovered coins, last step of the process.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely outdated and just plain wrong.....Cheers, RickO >>

And the next page in the book talks about bleeding a patient to lower their fever.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

"How to Clean Coins"

It reads:

"Don't" >>

image >>

+ image
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I prefer an wire brush attached to a drill. The
    swirling brush creates a beautiful effect on copper, silver,
    and gold.

And, remember that eye protection is for sissies.
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭

<< <i>The government at work.

That advice definitely needs changed. They need to add that a pencil eraser can brighten your coins. >>

Pencil erasers are fantastic. I once had a guy bring in an 1889-CC morgan. It was a bit dark but a solid XF. Obverse looked nice and original. Of course this guy wanted to make sure it was the coveted CC mintmark so he took a fat pencil eraser and went over the CC until it was nice and bright so you could see it clearly. I gave him a $100 for it, sold it for $150 and called it a day. It wasn't easy to tell the guy he just cost himself over $1500 but I felt he earned it.
    GMan
  • Options

<< <i>

"How to Clean Coins"

It reads:

"Don't" >>

image >>

Ditto

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji