Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wisconsin High/Low Leaf Quarters...

LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone here found one of these in circulation or am I wasting my time looking and thinking it could happen image
Just wondering...

Comments

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I have never even heard of one graded below 55 which is just a scruffy slider on clad grading.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    No, you're not wasting your time. Last fall, I found one in my change and I always look (sorry, sold it and no pic--was probably 58). I like the WLL almost as much as the 55 DD Lincoln. image
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were to look for anything, I would go for a cheerios dollar that got spent by some kid image
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you were to look for anything, I would go for a cheerios dollar that got spent by some kid image >>

Oh, I look for those too....along with a loooooong list of others. Just thought I would use the Wisc Quarts for a quick example.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you were to look for anything, I would go for a cheerios dollar that got spent by some kid image >>

I used to look through rolls and rolls of these thinking the same thing. Now they are diluted by the presidential dollars and it makes roll searching that much more difficult.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Recently I have been seeing new looking SHQs in pocket change, all the way back to 1999s.
    Looks like a lot of folks that had saved these are turning them in now, or backlog at the counting facilities is working it's way down.
    So yes there could be some that are just now making their way into circulation for the first time . . .

Never know unless you look ! ! ! image

JMO

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    Halfhunter is right on. I have also noticed several nice SHQ s in change recently. As far as Extra Leaf quarters in change, there is always the chance you can find one. It helps if you are living in AZ or South Texas where the coins were distributed. I live near SA, Tx and have been told that local coin shops have not been getting much in now. I found my last quarter which was a Low Leaf in change in Austin, Tx two years ago.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll be found..., and when they are, there will be buyers waiting in the wings like corn in the field.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope I get to find one !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    Hi Lee, I recently won the worst looking WI Extra Leaf Low quarter that I have ever seen. It couldn't grade better than VF and has things growing on it. I mention this because this coin had to have been in circulation since 2004 in the SA, Tx area and then someone pulled it out of change recently and put it on Ebay. It helps if you go through coins in the areas in which the coins were released into circulation but they may have migrated some before being scooped up. Here in South Texas, I don't find many Wisconsin quarters in change. I think here in the SA, Tx area; people kept every WI quarter they could find hoping some would be a $500 coin someday again !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Have any of the High/Low leaf Wisconsins ever been found in the Mint boxes? The boxes sell for a premium so I'm just curious.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have any of the High/Low leaf Wisconsins ever been found in the Mint boxes? The boxes sell for a premium so I'm just curious. >>

Not so far as anyone is letting on.

It's very unlikely. Perhaps people don't know this and pay a premium to search them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Still have my NGC MS 66 of the low/high relief, though probably bought it for more than it is worth today.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Keep looking. You never know.
  • Options
    The chance of finding a WI Extra Leaf quarter has almost faded away. I live in the SA, Tx area and I understand that few are being offered to local dealers anymore. I purchased a High Leaf a couple of months ago from a local shop. The employee said that he had found it while looking through a box of quarters from a local bank. One good thing, now that the scarce coins have been circulating for 9 years, most people wouldn't even be looking for them anymore. A thin high leaf is probably easier to find in change since they are harder to spot. USM boxes and bags never had the extra leaf coins in them. Good luck in your search. Happy Holidays.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a definitive story about the making and release of these?
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked at Dave & Buster's in Austin when these were discovered. Knowing I collected coins, I had numerous waiters, waitresses, and bartenders bring them to me to confirm they were the variety- they had gotten them as tips. Since this area was one of the ones where they were concentrated, I bought boxes of quarters from the bank, and never found a single one.

Then, in 2007, I stopped at a convenience store for a drink and got a low leaf in change. It graded AU-58 at ICG. That's the only one I ever found, and one of the better circulation cherrypicks I've made.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varieties spread out from their points of release. The farther away they go the lower
    the grade they'll be found. That most were intercepted just means a lot fewer are available
    to "spread out". That people look for these reduce the chances further. There are, no doubt,
    a very few in circulation but the odds of finding them are quite low.

With varieties of current coin like these it's not unusual that they find their way back into cir-
    culation because they get mixed in with other coins by various means. The number actually
    in circulation eventually reaches a steady state at a very low number.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! It definitely is worth it. Just as earlier mentioned. Years ago I found the beloved 1999 "Wide A.M." variety on the sidewalk. I sent it in to across the street and it came back 64RB. You don't know how pleased and thrilled I was. I end up selling it for $200 at a show to Larry Briggs. I'm now having regrets,because not only because of the story behind the variety but also, it was the #1 Wide A.M. graded by NGC. Keep on hunting and don't be discouraged. -joeyimage One more thing... How sad and unfortunate it is for those that aren't aware or just don't care of the error/variety aspect of collecting. So much a part of the hobby.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file