Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So Where Are All The Nice Draped Bust Quarters?

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know, very tough to find. I'm not a set builder but after I acquired the tough 1804 quarter a couple months ago that I've wanted for years, I thought well it's a short date run perhaps I'll go for more. Nothing. It would be nice to find some like my 1804 but I know it will take a long time, which is fine with me. Hey, this series saves me money! So, I've been remodeling my bathroom in my home for now. Here is my 1804 I posted a while back. Let's see some of this series posted here.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to find them with some effort. Tough part out of the way if you are not doing the small eagle. I think the grade you started on is perfect. Should take about 2-4 years with proper standards applied.

• Options
    Nice 1804 Quarter, keep looking for the rest and have fun!
    Reeded Edge halves by die variety
  • Options
    My favorite quarter:
    Reeded Edge halves by die variety
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't add to this thread stman, but I can say that is one fine looking DBQ
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    They are tucked away in tightly held collections. That's where they're at!
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Strong hands!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Stman- You have a nice looking 1804!

My one and only DBQ.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is one of the two in my set.

Id love to see Quartercollector post in this thread!

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that date......here is the one I own,

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Strong hands! >>

Best said---They are out there but few and far between. No one wants to give them up. Too hard to find.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1805 DBQ PC10

1806 DBQ PC08

1806/5 DBQ PC06

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    Love your 1807, Ankur! image
    I've observed that it's a much tougher date (in nice original condition) than its mintage suggests, even in lower, circ. grades.
    - Jim
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to add to this thread, just wanted to leave a breadcrumb

I don't know what happened to my rev image of this one, need a reshoot

• Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    Lanlord... those ain't no breadcrumbs!

Here's my 1805 B-1

imageimage

1TwoBits
    Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I hate my pictures....I love the coin. Just pretend the coin looks better than the pictures, and we'll be on the same page. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    There are still some out there. I recently picked this up to add to my DBQ Variety set. I already had a B-7 in G-6 (raw) but I could not pass this one up (and the price was right!)

1806 B-7 R-5 in a PCGS VF-25 holder

Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Realone - that counterstamp is really cool! Got any attribution for it?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A relatively common and relatively attractive 1805 B-3

imageimage

A somewhat less common and less attractive 1806 B-7

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draped Bust quarters are a really tough type coin in original/attractive AU or Unc. grades. Almost all have been dipped or messed with, and even those are hard to locate. Then there are the AU coins that have F12 details due to strike. I have never owned an example of this type higher than VG10.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    below is one of my PCGS AU55 draped quarters - its nicely toned much nicer in hand plus its CAC. Not many draped bust quarters out there that are CAC!

Easton Collection
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some really nice quarters in this thread! Congratulations to all of you on your patience in finding the right coin, and your resolve to acquire it once you found it!

Edit to add, I guess I should post pix of a couple of these sold quite a while ago. I will let one of the other posters attribute the coins.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice serious coins are mostly in strong hands. Hands that hold for decades. They do come to market but when they do be ready to open your wallet wide.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I used to own that!

Ex Jules Reiver

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draped bust quarters = _ _ _ _
    "WANT" is a four letter word.
  • Options
    Here's my most recent addition to the herd...I'll let you all attribute it...

imageimage

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easton and QN-- those are amazing coins! thanks for posting them
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Kaz - thanks! at one time i was getting somewhat bored with coin collecting but then I started collecting bust coinage and joined the JRCS - boy oh boy - the bust coinage is so interesting and so much to study. Now I am hooked and loving it.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    1806 PC10 CAC

1807 PC06 CAC

- Jim
  • Options
    Hey Quarternut -- what's with the missing denticle on the reverse rim next to the I in America? I would have said B-5, but they don't come anywhere near that nice!
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Love that B-2 Tom! image

QN

• Options

<< <i>Hey Quarternut -- what's with the missing denticle on the reverse rim next to the I in America? I would have said B-5, but they don't come anywhere near that nice! >>

Glad somone finally noticed...and yes, they do come this nice!

Already had a nice VF B-5, but couldn't pass this one up!

This example has not been seen since 1979...Ex-Herbert Bergen collection Lot 5

QN

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    This is an awesome thread!
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stman - that is one perfect looking 1804.

My addition, PC20:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome coins in this thread. Good to see some beautiful DBQs come out of the woodwork.

Rich, nice B-8s. I especially like the one with the reverse cud. It's on the market again actually, but too rich for my blood.

Quarternut, wow! 1805 B-5 usually looks like crap image Did the coin you buy come out of a quarter variety collection, or was it just type that was finally attributed?

And, did you recently sell your previous VF example through Heritage?

Matt
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is one I bought last year but might have to sell it unfortunately.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>Quarternut, wow! 1805 B-5 usually looks like crap image Did the coin you buy come out of a quarter variety collection, or was it just type that was finally attributed? >>

Yes, examples above EF are far and few and there are no know uncirculated examples...Probably came out of an old type collection, I am still trying to get more pedigree info, however it has not been at auction since 1979...over 30 years off the market...

<< <i>And, did you recently sell your previous VF example through Heritage? >>

No, I still have it and will probably not sell it, as it was the plate coin for my book and was the plate coin in the 1992 edition of Browning as well. Also it was owned by Jules Reiver.

QN

• Options
    Congrats QN on a wonderful 1805 B-5 imageimageimage
    and yes, I am jealous.
    Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know, very tough to find. I'm not a set builder but after I acquired the tough 1804 quarter a couple months ago that I've wanted for years, I thought well it's a short date run perhaps I'll go for more. Nothing. It would be nice to find some like my 1804 but I know it will take a long time, which is fine with me. Hey, this series saves me money! So, I've been remodeling my bathroom in my home for now. Here is my 1804 I posted a while back. Let's see some of this series posted here.

image >>

Just a fabulous 1804 Quarter. Nicest I have ever seen for the mid-grade range.

Tyler
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger, that is a really nice, original 1806 B-7. I recently acquired this one:

All of the draped bust quarters are hard to find nice and unmessed-with. It might be why the pool of collectors is so thin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file