Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I may have cherry picked a very rare chinese dollar. Pics added!

Ill have pics tomorow once Im sure.

Ok might not be as exciting as I made it out to be. Coin looks unmolested AU+ with great eye appeal. I really cant believe there are no hairlines on this piece. Some pf the pieces had Tackhing makers mark is from Hong Kong during 1910-20. This is one of the 5 dishes that I picked up. In the others theres a 1794 Mexico City 8 reales, 1799 Mexico City 8 reales(both are chop marked), an AU Maria Theresa Thaler, and another junk dollar.

I hope to remove the coin....

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, can't wait to see the picture.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odds of not destroying it?

well....

Quick bend and it popped right out. Gonna rinse in acetone just to be safe.
    My scale shows 27 grams even
  • Options
    Pcgs it
  • Options
    I think Im going to, not sure if Im gonna sell it though. As it stands if the prices realized on ebay are real then this would be the highest priced coin in my collectionor nearly so.

Think it will get a number grade? Only has the light hairlines above the boat, think they'll be nice and give me AU53?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looking at the hairlines above the Junk- it may not grade. However, it is still work sending in to get authenticated- congrats. I think I would leave as is- the original look may help with getting a grade

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Whats scary is I just realized what these coin trays are selling for, dealer I bought them from didnt think the dish part was silver( they are hallmarked 90). I paid $20 per, I may go in tomorow and have him test the one dish and times it by 5 and pay silver melt on them if it test ok.

• Options
    Let that coin sit in acetone for as long as possible to remove that glue.

Without seeing the coin in person I can't be sure if it is authentic, expecially for that weight. The rims look okay for the date.

By the way...it isn't rare...just "popular". (2,000,000+ minted). It is a type coin in high demand.

Ngc seems to be handing out "questionable authenticity" 's like candy lately do I would go for pcgs.

Although you probably would get a higher grade ATS (if it's real).

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Good advice. I concur about the glue, and the rarity. The Chinese market may have already peaked. If you ever intend to sell, now may be the best time. Perhaps skip the grade and sell it raw (if you plan to sell, that is).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I hope they are real but I have a feeling that those are another quality products from China with no silver at all. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    I have a great deal of faith in them being real as all the makers marks matched up with others Ive found. Some of these dishes were made 1910-20 and a small cut and a bit of acid where I pulled the coin from showed quality silver.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    shoot. I think I did a giveways with those "junk" silver coins a while ago image

I know I had 2-3 of 'em but not anymore :S
  • Options

<< <i>I have a great deal of faith in them being real as all the makers marks matched up with others Ive found. Some of these dishes were made 1910-20 and a small cut and a bit of acid where I pulled the coin from showed quality silver. >>

It looks real to me but how come you only paid $20 for a dish? I think the melt silver value worth more than $20.
  • Options
    He offered them to me at $20 per stating I had to take them all. I told him that was melt for the coins, he didnt think the dish part was silver but German silver instead. I offered to pay $25 each which still seemed low to me. I spend about $1500 in his shop on collectors coins alone per week, so if he was trying to keep me coming back its worked. Ive been a consistant customer of his for the past 6 years and he has offered many things in my direction that I wouldnt have had a chance finding on my own.

Theres a very small collectors base for world stuff in my area. That may have been another reason he offered them to me, knowing I do ebay sales.

I decided to test the waters with these last night and sold one of the dishes in ten minutes for $165.
  • Options
    WOW, that's a very good deal. Those dishes sell for over $100 on ebay. I saw them once in a while on ebay.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    It's funny, so many dealers, when they are on the Buying side of the table, will comment that eBay is no judge of market value. And yet when they are on the Selling side of the table, they often list on eBay for maximum profit. Buy the bowls for $20 and sell on eBay for $100. Seems like good business to me.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Actually the bowls with chinese coins will bring 200.

Sold the junk dollar last night for $2500+. Knowing I don't collect them and the funds can go to something ill enjoy. So grand total from my $100 investment is just over $3200.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sold WHAT for 3200??imageimage
    someone really wanted it....IMO
    good for you....
    where is that dealer friend of yours located?image
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

<< <i>You sold WHAT for 3200??imageimage
    someone really wanted it....IMO
    good for you....
    where is that dealer friend of yours located?image >>

^I just love when people ask me that...like im actually going to tell them haha

Great score! That is most likely more than what you would have got if it was in a holder....but who knows what the holder would have said.

I would have sold it too.
  • Options
    Well buyer just backed out...sometimes Ebay angers me.
  • Options
    am curious, WHY did the buyer back out?
    did he have to give a reason?
    Maybe you should have offered to have it graded or verified and insisted on the buy?
  • Options
    am curious, WHY did the buyer back out?
    did he have to give a reason?
    Maybe you should have offered to have it graded or verified and insisted on the buy?
  • Options

<< <i>Well buyer just backed out...sometimes Ebay angers me. >>

Hate to say this but I think that might be the right thing for the buyer. Why someone want to buy a expensive ungraded raw coin on ebay.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Chinesecoincollector, good to see you here. You could prove useful.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Check out this upcoming lot in the Artemide Asta 21E auction, in March 23/34. It's similar to yours, but with a much more common Chinese dollar inside it and in worse condition. Still, these are apparently very popular items, as you can see from the starting price of 100 euros net.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    The tray I look the dollar out of I replaced with another junk dollar and sold for $230 to a collector in China Ive worked with. I told him the story behind it and he didnt even bat an eye at it. He said he mostly wanted it for the tray itself as they are quite collectible.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The tray I look the dollar out of I replaced with another junk dollar and sold for $230 to a collector in China Ive worked with. >>

Nice deal! Makes up for the frustrating recent ebay winner that backed out.

<< <i>He said he mostly wanted it for the tray itself as they are quite collectible. >>

That's what I initially thought when I saw the four that you bought. I wouldn't mind having one myself as a decorative bowl. That rather nice initial 1934 dollar was a bit excessive for such a use. So I assume that you left the other three as they were.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Yeap, two I listed on ebay(stupid high amounts because I dont NEED to sell them). the Third(1794 8 reales heavily chop marked) is sitting on my desk holding change. I like it, adds a little something nice to what I see everyday.
  • Options
    Maybe it needs a trip to the TPG, if it's a tough sell.