Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Papal Sede Vacante Medal for 1691

I posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd share it here also since participants are different. An interesting papal "twofer" arrived yesterday, part of my continuing education about this interesting area.

At first glance, its a sede vacante of 1691. However, it is also the annual medal for 1691. Annuals were, and continue to be, distributed on the feast day of Saints Peter and Paul, June 29th. Alexander VIII had died on February 1st and a new pope, Innocent XII, was not elected until July 12th so it was appropriate that the annual medal reflect the interregnum.

While I was generally aware of these, it was not until I started to research this medal that I better appreciated how the dates impacted types. For instance, althought it spanned parts of three calendar years, only a single annual medal was issued during Alexander VIII's reign, in 1690, since he was not elected untl October of 1689. Similarly, Innocent's first annual was issued the year after his election in 1692.

Similar Sede/Annuales were issued during 1730, 1740 and 1758.

As I understand it, Modesti indicates 56 gold and 67 silvers were distributed at the time, altho the totals of originals was slightly higher at 60 and 100 respectively. This is a very nice, but not particularly early, bronze restrike but certainly works for me.

References are:

Miselli (1669-1700) 288
Modesti (Annuale) 168
Boccia (Sede Vacante) 17

Still having a bit of a problem with scanning bronzes, but hope this will suffice.

imageimageimageimage
Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin! I appreciate you including the history on it as well!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Nice medal! It's got some great detail and a good color to the patina; a great example of Baroque medallic engraving by Giovanni Hamerani! It seems that the other 4 gold and 33 silver pieces were returned and melted (a true shame to us collectors today).

P.S. What a fun new profile pic!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    TY for the kind comments guys. I really like Sedes and this was a type I'd been looking for for a while, altho as mentioned I didn't totally realize its significance. Popped up on ebay and went fairly reasonably so it was a win-win for me.

What a fun new profile pic!

Thanks Joe, glad you noticed. Still like the viking ship but felt it was time to use a recent pic of me out pontifficating (or is it puffintificating? either way, pun-finn intended. Obligatory groans acknowledged).

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great detail on that one! I really like it.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. This is the sort of thing which explains why I'm less and less interested in litesite paper money(including the TPG craziness).