Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

This was s'posed to be another "newp" thread, but it isn't. :(

Instead, it's another "one that got away" thread.

Had this on my VCoins watchlist since last July. It hadn't gone anywhere (wasn't exactly bargain priced), but today when I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy it... poof- it was gone! image

Must've sold pretty recently, probably in the last couple of days.

Oh well. There are other Seleucids out there with nice desert patina and cool designs, but this one really had me ready to pull the trigger.

You snooze, you lose, sometimes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Person bought it and others at the link below.

Small world.
    link
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I missed it by hours, just like I thought.

I see he also bought one of those serrate "bottlecaps" with the elephant like I want (with desert patina, too). I've missed out on those in the past. I started looking for those after the owl flew away. But didn't see any on VCoins presently that floated my boat quite enough.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    What is the general opinion of VCoins' offerings? I seem to think that they are overpriced to begin with.

Also, what is this Coin Community that was linked to? I basically keep in tune with CU and CoinPeople and that is it. CC seems to have, you know, rules and junk.

Btw, thanks Lord. Now I want a Seleucid owl AND elephant.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the general opinion of VCoins' offerings? I seem to think that they are overpriced to begin with.

Also, what is this Coin Community that was linked to? I basically keep in tune with CU and CoinPeople and that is it. CC seems to have, you know, rules and junk.

Btw, thanks Lord. Now I want a Seleucid owl AND elephant. >>

Don't forget the eagles, too! I love the Seleucid silver, but the bronze also has great designs and, coming from Syria, they're prone to have that lovely desert patina.

I love VCoins. And saying they're overpriced is like saying, "the mall is overpriced". Which might be true in a general sense, but you've gotta remember, VCoins IS an online mall. (They don't call themselves an "online cion show" for nothin'.) There are dozens of dealers there. Some are overpriced. Many aren't. I love being able to enter a keyword and cross-reference a whole bunch of coins of one particular type or attribute. It often becomes apparent who is overpriced and who isn't.

It's just like doing an eBay search, and you get almost as wide a selection (or more selection, sometimes), but you don't have to wade through as much garbage or read as much hype or guess what items are going to close for. I personally find it as useful as eBay for pricing research, though it's a retail venue. So yeah, I'm a fan of VCoins. No venue is perfect, but that's a really good one overall.

As to the Coin Community that bronzemat linked to, I guess I must not have seen it much. I tried logging on but apparently wasn't a member. You see, I've registered to so many sites that I often forget which ones I've joined or visited in the past. A creature of habit, I prefer to spend my time here. I don't even go Across The Street very much. Mat gets around, though. And, as demonstrated here, he doesn't miss much.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the general opinion of VCoins' offerings? I seem to think that they are overpriced to begin with.

Btw, thanks Lord. Now I want a Seleucid owl AND elephant. >>

With ebay getting more and more of a pain in the a** in terms of garbage listings & overpriced coins, I tend to buy more from vcoins. I have developed good relationships with several.

One thing I do is you can email the dealer a best offer on a coin or coins and chances are they will accept it. I have done it many times. I have also traded with a few too. Many will take trade or give credit from a trade.

You can try another site, Numismall Some are cheaper then vcoins and theyre the same seller.