Home Precious Metals
Options

Apple delays Ipad 5 for 7 months due to "component shortage"

Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

As for when the fifth-gen iPad will make its debut, Horwitz said Apple was originally targeting a March launch, but it now appears we'll have to wait until October, possibly because some components are limited at this time.

And what components would cause a 7 month delay for the worlds largest company?

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be mindblowing if the missing component was merely adequate silver bullion.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

As for when the fifth-gen iPad will make its debut, Horwitz said Apple was originally targeting a March launch, but it now appears we'll have to wait until October, possibly because some components are limited at this time.

And what components would cause a 7 month delay for the worlds largest company? >>

I think that if Apple needed a few tons of silver to save a 6-7 month delay in a new product, it could find it!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image

And what components would cause a 7 month delay for the worlds largest company? >>

I think that if Apple needed a few tons of silver to save a 6-7 month delay in a new product, it could find it! >>

Lots of delays in smartphones, tablets, and flat panel monitors as well. You're going to need a bigger boat.
  • Options
    When Sprott was looking for 20 tonnes of silver for his PSLV silver ETF fund, it took him many months to finally round it all up without upsetting the market or boosting prices. I have no exact idea how much silver Apple would need. But if you're looking at 5 million items with 1 ounce of silver in each one, that's 142 tonnes of silver. No way you could just wish that into your inventory. From what I've read these new larger Ipad screens take 2-3 ounces of silver because of the increased illumination. Even if we scale this down by 7X to match Eric Sprott's ordeal, that would still mean 2.5 MILL items with a measly .07 ounces of silver....similar to an old silver dime. It would take months to fill that silver order. And from what I've been reading lately, the silver market is far tighter today than it was a couple years ago when Sprott filled his 20 MILL ounce order.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could have nothing to do with silver, it may be just a shortage of iDrones to drink the iKoolaid . image

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I would be shocked if these delays had anything to do with precious metals.
    I would be similarly shocked to find that anywhere near 2-3 oz of silver were used in an ipad.
  • Options

<< <i>I would be shocked if these delays had anything to do with precious metals.
    I would be similarly shocked to find that anywhere near 2-3 oz of silver were used in an ipad. >>

Maybe that 2-3 oz was for a larger product, computer or flat screen. In any case I mentioned the 1 old silver dime. And with just 2.5 MILL items that means 20 tonnes of silver.
    And if that's off by a factor of then then assume 1/10th of a silver dime (.2 grams) and 25 MILL items. Apple supposedly sold 48 MILL of something last quarter that I read in the
    Apple vs. Gold post. So I don't find the 20 tonnes of silver necessarily shocking. Cruise missiles use an entire monster box of silver eagles.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With $130B sitting in cash...nevermind.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with components you are also at the mercy of suppliers.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shortage doesnt mean scarce.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    $130 BILL in cash doesn't mean squat if there's no supply. The Chinese would love to buy $130 BILL in silver tomorrow if someone were willing to sell it to them for $31/oz.
    But there is no such person or entity. You can't even go out into the silver market with $500 MILL and fill it with physical silver. It would take months....unless you were willing
    to pay several dollars per ounce premium. In the case of silver, it's both in shortage and scarce. Gold is only scarce with 165,000 tonnes sitting above ground.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a silver bull but silver is not in shortage.

In fact , according, to Nadler (Kitco) there is a current
    207,000,000 Moz Ag surplus.

He states the US Mint has a fabrication bottleneck only, planchets are stacked to the ceiling.

Inductrial has along way to go to light the shortage fuse I am waiting for.

Until then ,if investment demand dopes not keep pace or there is a global industrial slowdown (opposite is occurring right now),
    we will buying $20 oz silver in the next 24 months.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be cautious in using "in fact" and Nadler in the same sentences.

He was the 'many nicknamed-guy' that claimed gold would not rise above $700 or so and kept it up until the high $1000's.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>with components you are also at the mercy of suppliers.

MJ >>

This.

Perhaps a little of that $130 billion might be spent on self-sufficiency.

Then again I don't know how Apple treats their suppliers, but if they were to browbeat and piss off and gouge their suppliers like my old employer does, it's no wonder they have a component shortage.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be cautious in using "in fact" and Nadler in the same sentences.

He was the 'many nicknamed-guy' that claimed gold would not rise above $700 or so and kept it up until the high $1000's. >>

you're right "in fact" poorly used there.

I read everything, it all goes in the hopper. CPM group also stated similar.

believe me, silver shortage is like talking dirty to me, I am just not sold on it as of today.

History says its a fabrication bottleneck.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>I would be cautious in using "in fact" and Nadler in the same sentences.

He was the 'many nicknamed-guy' that claimed gold would not rise above $700 or so and kept it up until the high $1000's. >>

Miles my thoughts exactly. You saved me from having to type that. image

Nadler is still waiting to buy back gold at <$650 from his mid-2007 "call." He's only been wrong for 5-1/2 yrs....lol. Does he even have any readers left?
    Investment demand for silver has by far been the largest demand source for silver over the past several years. Industrial demand isn't even close. It's all about
    investment demand, not industrial demand. If and when investment demand starts falling off for good, then that's it for silver. CPM is another "source" I do not
    pay attention to. No different than say GFMS or the WGC. Both are actually gold "negative" organizations speaking the various govt's party line.

Krugman to economics is like Nadler and Christian to gold and silver. We should see more news about silver shortages by April/May.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am a silver bull but silver is not in shortage.

In fact , according, to Nadler (Kitco) there is a current
    207,000,000 Moz Ag surplus.

He states the US Mint has a fabrication bottleneck only, planchets are stacked to the ceiling.

Inductrial has along way to go to light the shortage fuse I am waiting for.

Until then ,if investment demand dopes not keep pace or there is a global industrial slowdown (opposite is occurring right now),
    we will buying $20 oz silver in the next 24 months. >>

Steve St. Angelo argues against the supposed silver surplus here: http://www.financialsense.com/contributors/steve-angelo/silver-deceptions-large-surpluses-and-low-production-cost

Planchets stacked to the ceiling? According to this link the mint is limited in how many ASE they can strike according to how many blanks they can source per week, which is 800,000 to 1 mil.
    - http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=26474
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Nadler is a idiot. I think he has won the "worst analyst of the year award" a couple of times.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we need are new silver investment buyers so we can pay off the old silver buyers so that they can tell prospective newer buyers that silver is profitable so we can pay off the new buyers with the newer buyers' money, so that the new buyers can make a profit that they tell the newer newer buyers about silver.

that would be a really good scheme! Someone should name such a scheme! Need to get those new newer buyers to step up! what would help is some rumors about an overall silver shortage (rumors based on the fact of supply disruption of certain forms of fabricated silver generalized to an overall silver shortage)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Nadler has been wrong ...forever.

and yet I have the give him credit for his fairly creative titles...he always stroke me as a guy who would have a much better film critic than a gold analyst.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    With the lead spokesman continuing to declare the value of precious metals will fall ever since 2005 I'd be real worried about any metals I had in thier pooled accounts.
  • Options

<< <i>What we need are new silver investment buyers so we can pay off the old silver buyers so that they can tell prospective newer buyers that silver is profitable so we can pay off the new buyers with the newer buyers' money, so that the new buyers can make a profit that they tell the newer newer buyers about silver.

that would be a really good scheme! Someone should name such a scheme! Need to get those new newer buyers to step up! what would help is some rumors about an overall silver shortage (rumors based on the fact of supply disruption of certain forms of fabricated silver generalized to an overall silver shortage) >>

Those buyers will come in droves once silver breaks above $50 and then $100/oz. It's not an if but when. And within 3-5 yrs. Pretty simple scheme really....supply vs. demand.
    Since it's investment demand driving silver for the past 5 years, it will be investment demand driving it higher...not industrial demand which is now a secondary player. Investment
    demand can shift very quickly and in a large way.

The scheme you have described above sounds like the US debt-money Ponzi Program (USDMPP).