Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Alexander the Great Gold Distater

Hi all,
I've been looking for this type for a long time, and while they do come up from time to time, I've passed on several examples offered to me as they all had problems. I was very excited as I saw an upcoming auction had one listed as "a pleasing, problem-free example" but was very disappointed when I looked closer and while it wasn't terrible, it was definitely not problem-free.

However, out of the blue, I had a dealer say that he had one available and I immediately jumped on it.

This type is similar in design to the Alexander the Great staters but twice the weight, with this example weighing in at 17.23 grams. The denomination overall is quite rare and they very often have filed edges.

The obverse is of Athena wearing a Corinthian helmet decorated with a coiled snake, the the reverse is Nike holding a wreath and mast with a thunderbolt to her left.

Thanks for looking! image
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin!

I bought a regular stater a couple of years ago, they are much more common than yours.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

Amazing condition for such a large ancient gold coin.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that really is gorgeous! What a beaut! This renews my hope that someday I'll find the elusive coins on my list.

Great photos, too were those taken by the dealer or yourself?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Hey, SmEagle, great looking distater! I would say that you were wise in passing on the other coins if this was the example you pulled the trigger on!

I do not know anything about Greek coins. I was curious about the symbols on the reverse to the left of Nike on the bottom. It looks like the Greek letter Lambda over a circle. What is the importance or symbology there? I am assuming that to her right that is Alexander's name in Greek as my rusty Greek alphabet seems to transliterate that into "Alexander". But then again the reason I am asking is so I don't look foolish when I am trying to impress all the ladies that collect ancient Greek gold. image
  • Options
    Finest I've ever seen. I don't think it was ever in anyone's mouth. Care to tell us how much you paid?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lambda over circle might be a mintmark, Aegeae mint.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ancient gold is soooo sweet

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God I could only dream, amazing coin.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alas, my miserable satellite connection is running even slower than dialup at the moment, so the images are taking their time loading. (I can see the top half of it now, though!)

I'll have to come back later to properly ogle that, but in the meantime, I'll just say... wow.

Funny word, "distater". I knew what it meant, of course, but my eye-brain connection being what it is, I read it as disaster every time I see it. Haha.

Hopefully this purchase will be anything but that for you.

Oh! The picture's finally loaded now. Splendid!

What a piece of eyecandy you have there. One of these days I would LOVE to see your collection in person, though that's unlikely to ever happen.

And if it did, you'd probably need to install one of those plexiglas "sneeze guards" like restaurants put up over their buffets, to prevent me from salivating too heavily on your lovelies. Then again, they're all gold, so a little drool probably wouldn't hurt 'em, right? image

Seriously, though- congratulations on a purchase most of us could only make in our dreams. I'm enjoying your collection vicariously, at least.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    What a sweet coin! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, that really is gorgeous! What a beaut! This renews my hope that someday I'll find the elusive coins on my list.

Great photos, too were those taken by the dealer or yourself? >>

Thanks, and I appreciate the photography compliment! I bought a new camera and have been doing a lot of reading and experimentation. This coin is one of my success stories so far as it looks exactly like this in-hand, save for better luster which I've yet to be able to capture on this and a few others I've been trying.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

<< <i>The lambda over circle might be a mintmark, Aegeae mint. >>

You're exactly correct! This coin was minted in Aegae/Aigai, an ancient city which was abandoned in the 3rd century BC. This particular distater was minted in about 336BC.
  • Options

<< <i>Finest I've ever seen. I don't think it was ever in anyone's mouth. Care to tell us how much you paid? >>

Thanks! I won't say exactly how much I paid but I will say that I paid considerably more than the cost of two gold staters. Shouldn't two staters be able to be traded for a single distater?... it apparently doesn't work that way today image When I manage to invent that time machine, I'll have to tell myself to trade up any gold payments and hold onto them.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Funny word, "distater". I knew what it meant, of course, but my eye-brain connection being what it is, I read it as disaster every time I see it. Haha. >>

My iPad really didn't want me to type distater either, but I managed to convince it to accept the spelling change. However, now whenever I try to spell disaster, it wants to talk about Greek gold...

<< <i>What a piece of eyecandy you have there. One of these days I would LOVE to see your collection in person, though that's unlikely to ever happen.

And if it did, you'd probably need to install one of those plexiglas "sneeze guards" like restaurants put up over their buffets, to prevent me from salivating too heavily on your lovelies. Then again, they're all gold, so a little drool probably wouldn't hurt 'em, right? image

Seriously, though- congratulations on a purchase most of us could only make in our dreams. I'm enjoying your collection vicariously, at least. >>

Thanks! If we ever happen to run into each other at a show, I'll definitely let you pick through my box if I bring some with! Luckily slabs protect against almost all forms of precipitation image
  • Options
    oakcoinoakcoin Posts: 187 ✭✭

<< <i>

Funny word, "distater". I knew what it meant, of course, but my eye-brain connection being what it is, I read it as disaster every time I see it. Haha.

. >>

Same here!
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I thought it could be a mintmark, but wasn't sure if it was a mintmark, moneyer's mark, some sort of ruler-centric mark or what not. Thanks for the clarification!

It is a beautiful coin.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.
    Becky
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    amazing coins!
  • Options
    What would one of those cost/sell for?
  • Options

<< <i>What would one of those cost/sell for? >>

The Alexander the Great staters (same overall design, half the weight) are anywhere from $2-10K depending on grade/variety, but while the distater in ancient times was worth two staters, they cost far more than two now.