Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What's it worth poll! Give it a shot!

50cm, 2.1 troy oz
Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog

Comments

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    This is a cool medal because it can cross many areas of focus, regardless of whether you are a numismatist, hockey fan from Canada, or from France! I would suggest that you send emails to any of these organizations. I have had some very good responses from anyone connected to the area of focus. I would first start with Canada.

Wikipedia link

Edited to add: He is recognized as the person who organized the first hockey league, which in my book is significant. You may need to hold onto it for a while and contact some organizations(Canadian museums or hockey groups from Paris or Canada) for interest in your medal. In any case, I feel that you can find a group that will want it for their museum and would probably pay a premium over anyone else that would buy it for speculative reasons or just to put into a collection without knowing what it could be worth.

I like esoteric pieces like this! Thanks for sharing.
  • rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Another plus is the artist, Georges Henri Prud'homme. IMO one of the most talented medalist

of the early 20th century. I have a very nice personal sized Jeanne D'Arc medal he designed.

Amazong detail and depth in all his works.

here's the obverse of your medal on this gallery website.
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Great info, thank you both!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Dan, how do you typically approach such organizations? Casual email? Business letter?

Do you broach the topic of purchasing your medal for their club / museum, or do they suggest it on their own?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I usually contact the organization via email.

I usually let them know that I have an item which is historically significant to the organization/museum.

I most always get a response. The hardest thing is figuring out how much you will sell the item for.

In at least one case I gave the piece away because it did not fit into my collection and was so esoteric that no one else wanted to pay money for it either.

-Dan