Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Nice 1787 "hearts" shilling from my old Holey Coin Vest

Dang, I didn't realize this type was as valuable as it is. My 2010 Krause says $65 VF and $165 XF. I'd say this piece is darned close to XF by American standards; perhaps gVF British? So it would've been a $100+ coin without the hole, presumably.

Not a bad holey. I totally forgot where I got it from. I had a 1787 sixpence, too, with weird gilt plating on it (maybe somebody tried to pass it as a half-guinea?) And of course I have a holey half-guinea of the period, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    looks like ebay will be the judge!

I think european grading standards are way tougher than here, I'd not guess but it's attractive!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Tougher perhaps because there are less subdivisions in the grading. But that is changing quickly as more and more coins are slabbed by American companies like PCGS and NGC.

As for this holey coin ... part of me says there were so many minted it's not a biggie if one of them is holed. The other part of me cringes at the hole. Luckily I'm not the only buyer in the market.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE