Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

AT, or NT? (1901 Brit 6d)

Not my coin, nor am I bidding, so I have no particular dog in this hunt.

I'd have reflexively said AT on this, but apparently NGC didn't think so. What do you think? Looks baked to me. But I guess it could just have a really thick album tone that's moved into "patina" territory.

It's definitely not my cuppa tea, but the colors are pretty wild.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>My guess is that the seller hit the brightness and saturation buttons pretty hard and that it's much tamer in hand.

Bob >>

Yes that was my immediate thought. If AT I'd expect both sides to be effected. I've always been of the opinion that for a coin to exhibit that much varied toning its not been looked after very well sometime during its lifetime.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Rare" and "Gem AU" just do not go together with this coin for a variety of reasons. I do join you in calling it AT and have seem quite a few NGC and P- slabbed coins that seem to have rather obvious enhanced toning. IMO, in this case the coin was exposed obverse up with possible contact with the oxidant. The reverse is VERY ordinary.

LM, it's our Lyin' Eyes! Not! Look these folks that slab are not God, and this type of coin slides through with fair regularity.

As a sidelight, there seems to have been a lot of amateur doctoring going on with combinations of heat and a variety of oxidants from tried and true sulfur +/- oxides, and other such interesting things as combining heat with other metals. I wish that Mass Spec. was available at a cheaper price to see if there were other trace elements such as aluminum oxidants, etc. Just what composes these masses of color. On the Light Side, please see the "Battle Creek" Morgan dollars where considerable war was waged over the IMO very artificial and neon-coloured surfaces. It has been said that one source of bright colour oxidant on some of the Redfield Dollars was coyote urine, evidently on the storage bags!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited to reflect my biased 2 cents :l

Here is a great piece for your international silver collection! This is a RAINBOW TONED STERLING SILVER 6 Pence coin from 1901!!! (no comment!)

The coin is slabbed and graded AU 58 by NGC ( its really AU DETAILS/AT but..... think anyone'll notice this scam? image
    the greatest rainbow toned sixpence I have ever seen image (then you looking at coins a few days at the maximum!)

I ship fast! (u bet - gotta get this sucker off my hand FAST!)

Be sure to add me to your favorites list! (done - "stay away" list - thanks for the heads up!)

Notice his feedback ..latest one; "overpaid not as nice as pics" etc.

P.S. I mean it - notice there is no HOLDER image - leads me to believe it detail graded ~~

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juiced photo.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juiced description.

Our favorite saying: "Run, Forrest, run"!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>P.S. I mean it - notice there is no HOLDER image - leads me to believe it detail graded ~~ >>

I wondered about that. I just found it hard to believe somebody would try such a silly stunt and set themselves up for almost certain negative feedback. (Silly me, for thinking about it logically. All kinds of people try silly stunts like that all the time.)

PS- I suppose now the wisdom of the eBay requirement to include full slab images of both sides has been demonstrated. Previously, I always thought it was a bit of a pain. But in a world where somebody would sell a details-graded coin and not disclose the problem on it, I guess that's necessary. (Mind you, I am not claiming the seller did this, but like y'all, I've strongly suspected it from the start.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    If it's really graded AU58 by NGC then it isn't in a problem slab. I believe a problem slab would only say AU details, not AU58.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>If it's really graded AU58 by NGC then it isn't in a problem slab. I believe a problem slab would only say AU details, not AU58. >>

That's the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question, here. The seller's mention of "AU58", specifically, is one of the things that confused me. I wonder if it is in an AU details slab, and he just decided to throw out AU58 as a personal opinion. (Not accusing him of that- I don't know. It would seem rather ridiculous, wouldn't it.) The lack of full-slab images as required by eBay is suspicious.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Probably NT, but a juiced photo. It definitely won't look the same in hand.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    I sent the seller a question, read from bottom up.

Dear charon(58),

Absolutely.

- jstor204 Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: jstor204
    Subject: Other: charon(58) sent a message about 1901 GREAT BRITAIN PQ RAINBOW TONED SILVER Six Pence 1 Year Only RARE GEM AU NGC #320862853004
    Sent Date: Jan-22-13 13:02:00 PST

Dear jstor204,

Is this coin in a problem free NGC holder and not a "details" holder? Thanks.

- charon(58)

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    OK, so maybe the seller is exonerated on the charge of playing a shell game with the holder (though the jury's still out on photo juicing) and maybe it's time to wonder what NGC was thinking, instead. Of course, without the coin in hand, I guess it's all speculative.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    exonerated my foot - Lord - look again....he replied ABSOLUTELY

he's guilty as sin!

You were correct to question it altogether image
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    What a bargain! It's such a beautiful coin, why would I want this for $20 less?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks 7Jaguars

my thoughts exactly

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I don't like it.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I agree with 7Jaguars.

NT toning, I think it will have some nice colours but nowhere near as bright in hand as shown. Pictures Juiced.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    - probably the ugliest 1901 6d I've ever seen
    - most likely in an NGC AU details holder (I asked for a full slab image)
    - absolutely, 130% AT, even if NGC missed it (but I doubt that it did)
    - and juiced, which makes it look even uglier

what more can you ask for just $170? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's "absolutely" in a problem-free holder, the photo has been juiced to the point of making the coin look bad - just the opposite of what the seller should want to do. I'd ask him to post a more realistic photo.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    HELP ME.........I'm going to need corrective eye surgery after viewing that pig.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Received the answer to my request to see the slab:

To: jstor204
    Subject: Other: digo_gr sent a message about 1901 GREAT BRITAIN PQ RAINBOW TONED SILVER Six Pence 1 Year Only RARE GEM AU NGC #320862853004
    Sent Date: Jan-23-13 13:55:54 PST

Dear jstor204,

Hi, could you please email me a picture of the entire slab? At your asking price, I believe I'm entitled to see the coin in its slab as well. Thanks. Sincerely, Dimitri

- digo_gr

Dear digo_gr,

I am not taking it out of storeage from the bank to photo it. THE CASE IS IN PERFECT SHAPE

- jstor204

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    There are so many nice UNC specimens of this date, why bother with this one?
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.