Home Metal Detecting

I watched "Diggers" on National Geographic TV last night (a show about MDing).

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
I watched a part of the show.

The two guys doing the metal detecting on the show were at an old town dating to the 1600's in Mass. They were finding all sorts of old and varied items (the coin finds included an 1827 Large Cent and a dateless King George Colonial Copper) at the two sites they were hunting with their metal detectors. The items they found set off strong chirps, beeps and tones from their detectors. All of the finds were 5" or less below the surface and they were retrieved, with no damage to same in less than a minute from ground that was so soft you could dig into it very easily.

The two guys were very animated as they were doing their thing. When one guy found one of the coins he had it in hand and sprinted to his partner, giving the coin to him and then he ran back to where he found the coin and climbed an adjacent tree yelling because he was so excited.

For some reason I have my doubts that the guys on the MD Forum have the same rate of success as the two guys on the show last night. Nor do I imagine an of you guys racing around, climbing a tree and yelling because you have found an 1827 large cent or a dateless Colonial Copper).

The stars of the show were not even close to the "Boom Babyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!" ex pro wrestler on American Diggers but the guy who climbed the tree started to annoy me.

Anyone else see the show?

Comments

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen part of one show where the loser of the best find was suspose to wrestle a pig. I didn't get that far. I think that for the most part mdist are loners when they detect. If I was with someone and did find something really neat I doubt if I would climb a tree. I don't want the attention anyway. If I do find a gold ring I usually call my wife and let her know. I do check in with her to let her know that I'm "still here".

These program producers should go with PCGS69 if they want to see someone find some really good stuff.image
  • I have watched it, and they are real , well idiotic. The hype and the ridiculous names they use for finds is just stupid.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TV 'reality' hype....every bit is scripted.....Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen part of one show where the loser of the best find was suspose to wrestle a pig. I didn't get that far. I think that for the most part mdist are loners when they detect. If I was with someone and did find something really neat I doubt if I would climb a tree. I don't want the attention anyway. If I do find a gold ring I usually call my wife and let her know. I do check in with her to let her know that I'm "still here".

These program producers should go with PCGS69 if they want to see someone find some really good stuff.image >>

When are these guys on? And PPC, who's to say that I don't jump in a tree and run around each time I find a copper or a piece of silver? You just wait for the 2013 detecting season to start!
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Tuesday night 10 and 10:30 National Geographic channel.
  • I have gone out with one friend at a time and we only walk to each other if one looks up and the other is smiling. That is about as exciting as it gets. Mostly we stay far apart its better that way. Feedback in headphones sucks. lol
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    The show is comical, but effective. I was researching getting one but the idea was fading.

Now I'll go get a Whites M6 as a middle of the road player and go find some Juice!

Promise not to climb trees and swing my arms wildly in the air, but hope to get excited if I find anything...

COA
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... Feedback in headphones sucks. lol >>

Feedback without headphones sucks, too unless it's being played through a guitar image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• I see that they are using Garrett detectors....it looks like the AT pro...
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "climbing a tree and yelling "

Hell, I'm happy if I can get out of Bed in the morning.
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    I saw the one when they were in New Orleans. They found an 1853 or 1851 gold dollar in a VERY tiny backyard; it looked like it had been placed there for the show.
  • ive been detecting for 27 years now and have only seen one person act like these guys. was considered a moron in our club. for any new people getting into this i advise that you do not emulate theyre actions or sayings
    And the Boooom Baby guys found a Civil War Surgery kit last night in the middle of the night. They brought their night lights for the midnight dig. (I always carry this kind of stuff in case I'm digging at midnightimage Sold the rusted stuff for $4,800. I saw this when I was surfing. Why do I stop and watch? Maybe it's the split screen and can't believe it's actually on TV like Jodi A.
  • The "Boom Baby" bs is as stupid as it comes. And I wish I knew the people they sell to, they get some ridiculous prices for some of that stuff that is in horrible shape.
    It would be nice to know if these prices were actually paid or if it's part of the script? My bet is the latter. The guy that bought this stuff last night looked and acted like he wasn't all there.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want a REALITY show about detecting? Here you go. image

Just in case anybody missed it last time around. I haven't done any dig vids since. A situation I do plan to rectify, now that I have a headmount video cam. I just gotta get out and use it.

Funny, that's been a year to the week since I did that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Good to see you making videos....too bad the technology was not as easy in the earlier days, when a lot of our stuff was found. Good video though. Looking forward to the next one.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer LM's show
    LCoopie = Les

<< <i>Good to see you making videos....too bad the technology was not as easy in the earlier days, when a lot of our stuff was found. Good video though. Looking forward to the next one. >>

Steve, I was really impressed with the one where you dug that large cent in Hanover Square (it was another 1798 cent, wasn't it?)

I gotta follow the link in your sigline and go watch it again...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Yes it was a 1798 cent, that coin was found in almost the exact place I found the 1781 real one year. It had to have been on edge, and deeper than my old Groundhog would go. The signal was good, I guess after the pecan tree was removed it changed the angle enough to "see" it finally.
    Boy, how 'bout that turnaround in the weather today, huh?

Slate grey skies, heavy rain and light flooding when I left for work in the morning.

Sunny and cloudless and like a great spring day by lunchtime. The azaleas are blooming on the island, and the plum tree in our back yard is covered in blossoms.

On the downside, the sand gnats were also out.

Looks like spring is upon us in the Golden Isles.