Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1954 Koufax wire/press photo uesd to announce signing w/ Dodgers(UPDATE:found newspaper..see last po

Need help with value on this item. I picked up a while ago and just ran across it in a box of stuff I forgot I had. It is a Type-1 press photo. This photo was used in the Dec. 14th 1954 Cincinnati Times-Star article that announced his signing with the Brooklyn Dodgers. I researched enough to find an article on Koufax that talks about the 1954 article. I also went to the Cincinnati Times website (see link) which shows the same picture. Does anyone here know an approx. value on this since there is enough evidence to show this was the photo used, including the cut-out article on the reverse of the photo? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-
Claude

link to Cincinnati Times article showing the photo

Comments

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome piece Claude. I have never seen that picture before and to have the original is great. Don't know the value but it would sure look nice if it was signed. Doug
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just the other day a similar photo of Harmon Killebrew went for $470.00+.

Killer

Your Koufax should go for more, unless him not being in MLB uniform hurts.

AWESOME ITEM!!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Totally awesome piece!

I think these have incredible upside. I have a set (3 different photos) of Feb 3 1959 photos from "The Day The Music Died" announcing the deaths of Buddy Holly, Rithchie Valens and The Big Bopper. I also had them slabbed by Beckett. They look great, the inner sleeve is adapted to the size of the image (which is key as most wire photos were cut and are irregular sizes), and it is a heck of a slab for protection.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I love unique items like this.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys. That Killebrew piece looks nice! So, should I list as an auction starting at $.99, list as a buy-it-now, or consign to someone with more clout than myself?
  • Options
    I would list it BIN/BO, these press photos can bounce all over the place in terms of hammer price. I probably would exclude the internet page since it doesn't actually refer to your photo (it references Cincinnati Times Star not the Seattle Times where yours was used), finding a copy (even digital) of the newspaper would be interesting though. AP Wire photos could have been picked up by countless newspapers. And each of those newspapers would alter/crop the photo to suit their needs. A $20k signing bonus and 2 year guaranteed MLB job was obviously big enough news to hit newspapers on both coasts. I would include key words like 'Sandy Koufax 1954 Brooklyn Dodgers Rookie Contract Press/Wire Photo University of Cincinnati'. As I said before, in general, I believe these photos are highly undervalued. Since the wire photo process was discontinued decades ago, there are only a certain amount of these around (a small fraction compared to cards), and companies have started to grade/slab them as they are becoming more collectible I would just keep it until you get what you think it's worth or what you want. If I was a Koufax collector I would be all over it. Good Luck with the sale.
  • Options
    Legendary Auctions Koufax Pre-rookie photo

In my opinion your photo is much better (bigger, nicer pic, slabbed, earlier date), also that auction was from 2.5 years ago. Legendary might be an option if you don't get what you want on Ebay?
  • Options
    Found a newspaper article from that day..Dec. 14, 1954:

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Claude

I'm not a collector of this kind of stuff - have a few photos by accident.

First - you're using the term "wire" and "press together - and I'd like to separate the two terms since the Type I photo - from what I understand - is worth "more" than a wire photo.

Big newspapers and magazines had their own photographers who took pics - and the developed pics are sorta like first generation photos.

Further - news services started to crop up and sent photographers out to events like BB games - two very large "News Service Photo" companies: Acme and AP.

Usually a news (service) photo will have a stamp on the back - hopefully with a date also - tho some may not - also - one will see - if directly from a newspaper or magazine - editor's notes - like crop marks, production info etc.

Now - to the wire photo - it's a "photo-copy" of the original in that the original photo is placed in a scanner - sent/distributed to other newspapers - whom I would guess have subscribed with a service like AP - received the wire on their end - and use it in their article.

Thus, a wire photo would be worth less than a news (service) photo from my understanding. If memory serves - the Type II photo would be from the original negative but way later than the actual event. So, if the photo is "not" dated - I can't possibly see how one could say with assurance if it were I or II? Again - this is just guessing - maybe some day I should take a course on this stuff?

This is just my understanding - and won't hold up - under oath - in a court of law. image
    Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool! >>

+ 1
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I just got some Beckett slabbed photos back, most wire photos are not a standard size so the inner sleeve in their cases helps show the photos well. That combined with their case gives a photo incredible protection.
  • Options
    Hey there again Claude

Just wanted to say that it's a super piece and if a couple of Koufax collectors go at it? Since it's definitely been in the newspapers? Might bring nice money. Have no idea - in advance what it's worth?

Congratulations on a really nice pickup!
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks for all the compliments and advice guys. I did list it last nite with BIN/BO...toyed with keeping it but I can use the $$. image
  • Options
    Here is my Cobb Signs With Detroit Photo. I would like to get it authenticated by PSA....
  • Options
    Cool photo CH - what's on the back?

I pulled this excerpt from the Detroit News archive:

Ty Cobb signs his contract as Tigers owner Frank Navin looks on. The contract came after a bitter holdout by Cobb following his second season in the major leagues. Cobb, who had made $2,400 in his second season, was on the verge of quitting baseball when the Tigers finally caved in and signed him for $5,000.

1u8RoDLdEsJ:apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php%3Fid%3D92+ty+cobb+signs+with+detroit+tigers+-+photo+of+signing&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#ixzz2L5lxNei8">Detroit News.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks! Great article! Here's the back of my photo...
  • Options
    It's an 8X10 I believe. Very cool piece, and trying to research and understand the whole, "Type 1" and news wire lingo.image Do you have any thoughts or ideas on this piece? Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks! Great article! Here's the back of my photo...
    image >>

Thanx.

It wasn't stamped - but based on the holo-Sporting News Collection? I would be comfortable grouping this with News Service Photos - or Press Photo or just News Photo.

Only problem? It's not dated. So, it might be tough to call it a "Type I?"

Either way - still very nice photo - which probably ran - along with other similar photos in the news papers.
    Mike
  • Options
    Yep, no doubt it's real old, and the markings on back are consistent.
  • Options

<< <i>It's an 8X10 I believe. Very cool piece, and trying to research and understand the whole, "Type 1" and news wire lingo.image Do you have any thoughts or ideas on this piece? Thanks! >>

If memory serves - as I said before - to be a "Type I" - the photo has to come from the original negative in the year or 2 - the even occurred - so if someone reproduces the photo a few years later? It would be a Type II.

A wire photo recently sent from a news service - e.g. - would be a Type III.

So - as I said - the fact that the photo isn't dated? How can one say for sure that it's a Type I?

edit: those types of markings on the back - IMO - are consistent with "editing" - and - thus - might qualify it for Type I?
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. Yes, I believe it would be within the 1 or 2 year time frame. We'll see! It's always fun sending something like this to PSA no matter what!image