Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Acadia S Mint Quarters ... Or, A Day in the Life of a Washington Quarter "Hunter"

So, I bought about 10-15 bags of these Acadia "S" mint quarters from the U.S. Mint paying the Mint $10/bag premium for the coins. Then, I paid my 22 year old daughter Lauren about $75 to screen them all and asked her to pull about a full tube of (40) coins that she thought could at least grade MS67 at PCGS (a few years ago, my request would have been for MS68 min. grade as MS67 grade were essentially worthless). Anyway. she hands me about a dozen coins from the 1,250 or so screened and tells me none of those are particularly great shot MS67 coins, but they are "the best 1%". At this point, I have about $200 real money tied up in these (12) raw Acadia coins (subtracting the face value of course). I submitted them with other things in bulk (unimportant to this story) to ensure I graded through a min. amount of coins to not get the "inspectors" at bulk unhappy with anything ... hoping for a single MS67 Acadia coin for my 1932-date Washington Quarter set. To this point, the pop is -8- in MS67 with none graded higher. I think one submittor may have made nearly all or all of these 8 coins while everyone else in the world having slabbed about -0- MS67's to date. None of these dozen coins graded MS67 (although I thought -3- had a legitimate shot and I may pay to submit those -3- coins at a future date under some other grading tier). That said, had I paid $14/coin modern tier, I would probably be out more than $350 right now on these (12) coins. With hours and hours into this Acadia project (not to mention $200 real dollars) ... I decide to buy a "one grade under top pop" MS66 coin for my set for $10 and move on (thank you MAS for the deal).

Now multiply this story by about 15 ... and you have a year's worth of new coins (p,d,s) for the quarter sets and the frustration getting them. Of course, the easy thing to do would have been to end it all in 2008 with the end of the state quarter program (as most of the top state quarter collectors did) and avoided all of this. In fact, is anyone else on these boards collecting 1932-date quarters at PCGS besides me? But, the way I see it ... just 19 years away now from the 100th Anniv. of the Washington Quarter where I can officially end this misery - I mean collection. Now, to try to stay healthy for the next (19) years!!

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Hi Mitch. Sounds like a lot of work. I was burned out after the state quarters and did not get into the others after 1998. Sounds like the MS67 will be scarce in some of the dates. Good luck in the hunting. PS if you find any2007 P WY DDR business stirke FS-803 please advise, have an extra gem 2007 P WY DDR business strike FS - 801 to trade. Thought I was done with the varities set thru 1998 but surprise five more coins added this year image Doug
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug. Did you ever sell your 1962 ty b quarter in ms67? I bought an ms67 pcgs coin a few months unattributed. I did not expect to find that one. Any interest in a ty b and c 1956-1964 silver quarter subset? If so, send bj a note asking for it. Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • I still have my type B & C sub-set including the 1962 P PCGS MS67 Type B. Hard to imagine another unattributed. The 1962 PCGS MS66 Type B I traded you a while back was a definate shot 67 coin IMHO. So this is a new 1962 Type B in MS67? Amazing... I do like the idea of a sub-set, a great short set to collect. Will send BJ a note. Doug
    Doug. Go to heritage and check out the sale of their last ms67 for a 1962-p. My bid of course was multiples of what it sold at. I mentioned the ty b/c set to bj a few months ago but never heard back. That 10 coin set would be mega cool. I hope it gets opened soon. Wondercoin
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been doing the quarters since I joined but did stop at 1964 and than picked up on the proofs. Like the B type set that I finished, I fell into the 32 coin set of proofs with Varieties. Now its been a really fun project as alot of the Varieties can still be found raw. What amazes me is out of the 6 guys ahead of me only 1 has any varieties. By me going backwards and picking off the Varieties first I do believe I am going to bump 4 or 5 of those guys in the next 6 months. I hope to complete the set 100 percent in 2013. Than its back to the original set with varieties. I also have a few bags of the S quarters put away, really liked the designs but have not started filling any albums.........yet...........Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Certainly not an easy or inexpensive task to grade the S mint Business Strike Quarter’s. They are only available at a premium in $25.00 bags and rolls through the US Mint website. I’ve heard that some bags have sold out already. This will make it even more expensive having to buy on the secondary market for future screening. Most of the time I look at it as what I graded is it and simply won’t pay the premium for them. The Sacagawea Dollars are a great example, the prices for most rolls are just too far out there.
    As always Mitch your welcome image

The hunt continues………………..
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've even given up keeping my state+ quarters in chUnc from circulation. I'm missing
    several even after accepting nice AU's.

I can't shake the feeling these have been getting undersaved for several years now.
    (from about 2006)
    Tempus fugit.
  • That is a nice looking mint set toned 1962 P MS67 type B that Heritage sold. Quite a good price for that 1962 P I would have paid a lot more myself even for the coin as an extra. Hard to believe there is a second one but probably a few more yet to be found as well. If you got that coin Mitch congratulations.

I did email BJ in support of the 10 coin silver washington type B and C reverse set, 1956 - 1964 P minted Type B reverse coins (proof reverse dies used to strike buisiness strike coins) plus the 1964-D Type C clad reverse coin (split tail feathers clad design)
    Yes Doug ... Without the Ty B, a 1962-P quarter in PCGS-MS67 should be at least about a $3,000 coin under normal conditions as far as I am concerned. Add the scarce Ty B to the mix and you should have a $5,000+ coin in that grade as I am sure you would agree. Of course, you would not have outbid me on this coin unless you were prepared to look as foolish as I would have looked had I outbid you image
    Wondercoin
  • Interesting my 1962 Type B also looks mint set toned. Must be few in the mints sets.... I have found them bright white in rolls but not nearly the quality as the mint toned gems, like ours.

Perhaps a PCGS 1956 Type B in MS67 remains unatribbuted in a holder somewhere as well.... have to keep looking image

• PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    You are not the only collector of washies! But they aren't the most popular series I would imagine. I never get tired of them but only collect 32-64 dated washies with attractive to gorgeous toning, when available. I like pcgs ms 67 examples but usually don't buy them slabbed because the large price jump from 66 to 67 coins. But I've made a few raw, and it's always exciting to receive 67 grade on submissions.

I've tried other series but always come back to washies. Not sure why but it's hard to beat a beautifully toned high grade 67 example IMO!
    "It is what it is."