Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

STOLEN COIN ALERT PCGS ANAHEIM SEE PICTURES STOLEN FROM THE US MAIL IN ROUTE OR AT USPS FACILITY PL

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
Shipped to a collector in the Anaheim California Area on November 26th 2012

Comments

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Anaheim? Given 1tommy's package made it to Anaheim, then went disappeared, I'd guess some postal worker at the Anaheim facility is going down hard.

edit for spelling
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Really? WOW.

ANYONE SENDING COINS TO ANAHEIM USE REGISTERED MAIL

I used Insured US mail with Delivery Confirmation..... buyer will made whole one way or another.

Anyone have any tips on speeding up the process?
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could you have missed my thread on this subject? Bummer your the first one to come forward and there are at least 3 other unhappy folks, like me..............3 packages found empty mine still missing Warning I also think our host needs to lock one of these threads at the top to warn anyone sending packages thru Anaheim.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    I don't know how I missed it. I cannot change that. All I can do is file a claim and get the postal inspectors involved. Both of these have been done and documented.
  • Options
    Hopefully my registered package is safe. I keep my eyes peeled.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Just curious but why do submissions shipped to pcgs via fedex go to a different city?
  • Options
    This was not a PCGS submission but a collector coin sold to a collector....They buyer is being very understanding about the whole situation.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sweet little coin, at least the thief had good taste
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Now I'm worried. A lot of PCGS outgoing coins go thru Anaheim! I have a PCGS package that was due today that last says processed thru Anaheim. Only 1 day late but very my concern level has grown ten fold nowimage
  • Options

<< <i>Now I'm worried. A lot of PCGS outgoing coins go thru Anaheim! I have a PCGS package that was due today that last says processed thru Anaheim. Only 1 day late but very my concern level has grown ten fold nowimage >>

All packages from newport go thru the anaheim sorting facilty and you and everyone Should be worried. I really think that our host should be worried too. Lucky for you, yours coins are in a slab, while the rest of us that lost packages of raw coins going there get screwed.I also believe pcgs should come up with a new way to pay, because the slip that was in my box contained not only my credit card number but as required by our host the 3 digits on the back. Gonna take awhile to get over the loss and hopefully soon the USPS will get off there a........ and find the thief..........tom

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of these packages unfortunately go through Anaheim, and Santa Ana. Not sure how my coin disappeared, but it went through both sorting facilities. I'm suspecting it disappeared through one of these facilities. image
  • Options
    Why is the package thought to be stolen? Perhaps it is still in the mail stream. Without tracking there is nothing that can be done to ascertain the location. If not received yet just give it a few days.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is the package thought to be stolen? Perhaps it is still in the mail stream. Without tracking there is nothing that can be done to ascertain the location. If not received yet just give it a few days. >>

Look 9 posts up. There are packages being OPENED and EMPTIED. If that doesn't indicate theft, then what does that indicate? Those who submit, we know the drill, and the agony of waiting for grades. But in this case, there is obvious wrongdoings, and by this point, I'd consider any package still not delivered from Anaheim to Newport Beach (left Anaheim on Nov 18th...have you read )this yet), it's gone. There is a serious problem there now (hopefully getting corrected now), but the lost coins are going to remain lost to the 'former' owners of them.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Will the USPS even pay more than $15 on an insured package?
    As I understand the rules, that seems to be the case for coins, bullion, collectables, cash . . . etc.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will the USPS even pay more than $15 on an insured package? As I understand the rules, that seems to be the case for coins, bullion, collectables, cash . . . etc. >>

You understand incorrectly. We go through this same song and dance every couple months on the boards. The Post Office will pay fair market value (up to the insured amount) for collectible coins and other collectibles. Do not confuse bullion or cash (which are not covered) with collectible coins. Somebody else can post the Postal Code that explains it, but trust me, coins are covered.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SB also mailed from Anheim as well. So far I always receive my packages OK.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now I'm worried. A lot of PCGS outgoing coins go thru Anaheim! I have a PCGS package that was due today that last says processed thru Anaheim. Only 1 day late but very my concern level has grown ten fold nowimage >>

All packages from newport go thru the anaheim sorting facilty and you and everyone Should be worried. I really think that our host should be worried too. Lucky for you, yours coins are in a slab, while the rest of us that lost packages of raw coins going there get screwed.I also believe pcgs should come up with a new way to pay, because the slip that was in my box contained not only my credit card number but as required by our host the 3 digits on the back. Gonna take awhile to get over the loss and hopefully soon the USPS will get off there a........ and find the thief..........tom >>

on the way out of pcgs:

unfortunately, with insurance, its probably not cost effective right now to find a new way to circumvent Anaheim. There are only a tiny percentage of packages missing.

Although, perhaps they could drive them to a location that does not sort through Anaheim if they wanted.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I spoke with PCGS yesterday at the Coin Show in Houston.

As much of a pain it may be, send the packages registered mail.

Here is the legal and accounting thing to remember... Until PCGS signs for the coins, they are not responsible for them.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    Just talked to the OP and was surprised that they just denied his frist claim too. Now his coin was already in a pcgs holder as seen in the original post, I love how the usps includes in the letter after further investigation we have approved your claim, but have reduced your claim to 15.00. I sent my check back and told them if they really spent anytime investigating they would already know that the coins lost were numismatic value not currency, and what idiot would spend 180 dollars grading fees for 2 quarters worth 15 bucks?(Resent them copies of all the original papers again) I am surprised they did not pay the claim on the OP"s coin when the info of value is easy to prove. This is just another reason to make sure you understand even with insurance they do not want to pay... Also I ask all members to keep and eye out for the OP"s coin and still hope they catch the usps thief............Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    This repeated bulls&@t really upsets me.
    You would imagine the USPS should be aware by now and are investigating it.
    Dump the USPS and turn mail delivery over to a private company now.
    Sorry for the rant.
    JMHO.
    I hope everyone gets their coins back or proper compensation.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USPS plain down right sucks when its time to pay a claim. I have had more trouble with the few claims I have had, and follow every thing to the tee regarding paperwork.

Luckily , I had an inside man who was high up in postal inspection help me on the last two. or I clearly would have been turned down , and that was only after first denial. Also thankfully, they were lower $ less than 1k.
  • Options
    AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

I only had one claim. It took as I recall 3-4 mths to get payment from St Louis after being denied first time. It was on straight Bullion with all recpts provided proving value on first submittal. The odd thing was, even the counter clerk seemed to be giving me a hard time after it was first denied. She'd ask a question to fill out a new form, I'd answer, then I swear to god, she'd write in what ever she wanted. Oddest thing ever.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered Mail. Anyone here lose any coins through REGISTERED Mail?? To PCGS or otherwise?

Anyone know of anyone losing their coins shipped to a PO BOX??
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Registered Mail. Anyone here lose any coins through REGISTERED Mail?? To PCGS or otherwise?

Anyone know of anyone losing their coins shipped to a PO BOX?? >>

I've been shipping and receiving Registered packages since 1981, and have never had one go missing.

95% of those shipments have also been to my P.O. Box. That said, RM $ have really gone through the roof in the last 5-7 years.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had a dealer yesterday tell me that Express Mail Insurance will not cover coins. Does anyone know about this or has anyone investigated this? It will certainly change my shipping habits if this is the case.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just had a dealer yesterday tell me that Express Mail Insurance will not cover coins. Does anyone know about this or has anyone investigated this? It will certainly change my shipping habits if this is the case. >>

I doubt that is correct and that dealer should have 3rd party insurance to make sure things are covered.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sweet little coin, at least the thief had good taste >>

More likely he just got darn lucky.image
  • Options
    Sounds like there can be quite a bit of risk in shipping common date Morgans that have the kind of toning to put the coin into the $500 to $600 or a bit higher range. It might be a lot of hassle to prove value if the thing gets lost, but IMO $600 is sorta marginal for RM since your looking at around $17 or so depending on destination.
  • Options

<< <i>This repeated bulls&@t really upsets me.
    You would imagine the USPS should be aware by now and are investigating it.
    Dump the USPS and turn mail delivery over to a private company now.
    Sorry for the rant.
    JMHO.
    I hope everyone gets their coins back or proper compensation. >>

Do you really believe a private company would be any more willing to pony up on insurance claims than the current USPS? It's more likely they would refuse to insure collectibles like UPS and FEDEX do and the casual mailer/shipper would be SOL without some sort of third party coverage. Be careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    Buyers should stick to PayPal purchases and sellers should use registered mail for anything they can't afford to eat.
  • Options
    Hindsight is 20/20, thanks for all those comments.... Sadly the claim was approved, but they only gave me $20.15. $5.15 for the original postage and $15.00 Dollars because when sending "cash or coin" the max they pay if lost or stolen is $15.00 per mailing. The USPS at at least 5 different locations over the years gladly took my money for the full amount of insurance and have been doing so for 15 years. This is my first time of this sort of thing happening to a coin I sent to a buyer. So I am appealing and this is what I will say among other things....

To whom it may concern,
    I understand my claim was paid short because the maximum indemnity for “cash or coins” is $15.00 per mailing. My concern is that when I was asked what the item was by the postal worker and I answered honestly; “a collectable coin” the postal worked took the full amount of my insurance money. They insured it for $750.00. If $15.00 was the max coverage I should have been told that at the counter. I would have gladly sent it registered mail.
    This item I sent was not “cash or coin”. It was a collectable coin that is certified as a collectable and I was paid $750.00 for it. Pictures of the item were sent twice along with the PayPal proof of value and the correspondence between me and the buyer and a price guide. The check for $20.15 has not been cashed. This collectable coin could not be used as currency or coin for the following reasons:

 It is encased in plastic and numerically graded and cannot be removed without damage to the collectable item.
     It cannot be used as currency at any location that accepts cash or coin. It would be rejected.
     The item is obsolete and no longer made by the US Mint.
     The item is gold and gold has not been used as coin since 1932
     The denomination $2.50 is not used as a coin value anymore.
     It would not even work in parking meter, slot machine or vending machine.
     I could not deposit it in a bank.

Please re think the amount of the claim. As noted in the USPS document the claim has been approved. I would like the full amount of the claim.

Thanks you for your time,

SO this is my next move....
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

I posted, via Priority Mail, insured, and having Delivery Confirmation, a (7)
    coin (raw) submission to PCGS on 22 Jan. Is it coincidence that we are
    beyond the expected delivery date of 24 Jan by FIVE days, and the
    associated delivery confirmation status still reads that my package departed
    ANAHEIM 92899 @ 0156 am January 24?

The many, many, calls between my local postal Day Supvr,
    and the Day Supvr at Ahaheim, have proven fruitless. No one can tell
    me where my submission might be.

I wonder how many other coin orders to PCGS have gone missing at
    the Anaheim sort facility? I wonder if postal authorities are aware of
    a possible coin theft operation at that location?

I do not seem to be the only member suffering a missing package, and
    having Anaheim in the picture!

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    That settles it, I am now scared straight. I will be grading all of my own coins from now on (the grades are likely to be higher that way). Can anyone help me with how to make the slabs, insert the coins, and seal the slabs? image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I hate that brown tape I sent my last package to PCGS on the 9th registered mail and it got there and was checked in on the 15th.
    Only thing I'm going to do different the next time is mail on Monday so it does not have to set somewhere over the weekend.
  • Options

<< <i>image

I posted, via Priority Mail, insured, and having Delivery Confirmation, a (7)
    coin (raw) submission to PCGS on 22 Jan. Is it coincidence that we are
    beyond the expected delivery date of 24 Jan by FIVE days, and the
    associated delivery confirmation status still reads that my package departed
    ANAHEIM 92899 @ 0156 am January 24?

The many, many, calls between my local postal Day Supvr,
    and the Day Supvr at Ahaheim, have proven fruitless. No one can tell
    me where my submission might be.

I wonder how many other coin orders to PCGS have gone missing at
    the Anaheim sort facility? I wonder if postal authorities are aware of
    a possible coin theft operation at that location?

I do not seem to be the only member suffering a missing package, and
    having Anaheim in the picture!

image >>

This is really something if its still going on, I sure hope that you contact pcgs too and let them know, the PO was diverting mail around anaheim to avoid the thief and it now appears packages are going thru that office again. It seems like a early morning hour thief too as mine went missing at 420 am. I would also contact the postal inspector in washington dc . phone (202) 268-2000
    Good luck and I really hope your package shows up.........

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    biosolarbiosolar Posts: 164 ✭✭
    So Sorry about your lost. I say that as a retired postal carrier who took pride and enjoyment in my work. Yes dealing with the PO can be overwhelming. I would suggest that if your claim is deined again, for yu to contact yur local congressman or better yet sentor with all your paperwork, and see what they can do. Yes I know their approval rating is even lower than the post offices, but they very well be able to help.
    Nick
  • Options

<< <i>Registered Mail. Anyone here lose any coins through REGISTERED Mail?? To PCGS or otherwise?

I mailed a submission to PCGS Registered Mail 28 December, and it still hasn't made it there. Hopefully someday soon.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    There does not seem to be any safe way to get coins to PCGS unless you hand deliver them!

Maybe they need a PO box in some other city and have them picked up there.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I mailed a submission to PCGS Registered Mail 28 December, and it still hasn't made it there. Hopefully someday soon. >>

It's not too early to start worrying. image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    If the USPS is only paying $15 on these claims, there doesn't seem to be much incentive on their part to investigate or work around the problem. It's not even rounding error for them, and they probably feel they have bigger issues elsewhere. If they were paying out $1000s on these claims, someone higher up would take note of the issue.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I have a package going to Santa Monica and it is 2 weeks Registered. PO said they have it and would deliver today. Nothing on tracking though. California PO system sure stinks at best.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I will send nothing more to PCGS until the problem is squared away.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insuring your package is a waste of money and an invitation saying: STEAL ME.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had a problem with shipping to PCGS or anywhere when using registered insured services, albeit added expense.
    The invoice lays out explicit instructions for shipping. There is an old saying "Pay attention to detail". It works.

Now back to detail....
    Does the OP have a better picture of the obverse ? If the coin were cracked out to be fenced, it's tough to see any identifying characteristics with the current view.
    Aside from that, I empathize.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file