Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the Grade of MY Stolen Coin......

Well 2 weeks ago my package of 2 coins disappeared at the newport beach PO, OTHER Packages are also missing. Since our host and the PO don't care to even take the time to call back I figure lets do a GUESS the grade. No Picture of the 2nd coin and this next week I would have received my grades if the packages were not stolen. So this coin is the fourth example to be found 1 MS64 1 MS62 and 1 xf45, what do you think mine would have been? The misplaced d is so much more obvious than even the coin facts picture, to me she was a beauty...Also as the postal employee said please keep an eye out for this coin on ebay................Enjoy imageimageimage
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That is a great coin.
    Easy GEM, imho.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63 long shot at 64. Chatter in the fields, on the forehead and the mark on the prime focal area (face) keep the grade down. Is that toning starting to form at 4 o'clock on the front at his hair ribbon?
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Maybe MS63+
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Please excuse us mere mortals but what makes this coin rare?
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are rare to the OP,,,, since they are nonexistant
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please excuse us mere mortals but what makes this coin rare? >>

1957 D misplaced D Look to the left of the original mintmark and in between the vines. See the D? Kinda just jumps out . I was thinking maybe a 63 and asked the dealer if a bath was ok but he said leave it original so there is slight toning. Since there is only 3 others graded I consider this one rare. Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Tommi,
    Sorry to hear the quarter came up missing. my guess it could still show up at PCGS in the mail.

I don't know yet how rare the Misplaced-D is yet, since the Cherry Pickers guide just entered it this year.

I own the MS-64 and I would guess yours would grade MS-64.

The MS-62 sold for $500.00 on Ebay. But coinfacts and the price guide didn't enter it as being sold for that amount.

I hope yours shows up.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I'm a quarter guy and I didn't even know about this variety. Looks like a coin that would sell for $10-15 on eBay as a normal 57-d. Dang I need to start cherrypicking these little boogers!

And sorry to hear about the lost package to pcgs... I have a submission waiting to ship to them but I'm scared now after hearing all the horror stories lately. Probably best to wait after the holidays.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    PS. Looks ms64 from images.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the sad part to this story and, before I go into it, I sincerely and truly hope that the package is recovered in complete form and Tommy can move forward with everything as he had planned......

As noted by a couple of folks, it is hard for a non-informed person to see what makes this coin special. Seeing an obsolete coin (not just silver but a design no longer used) or a coin already sent in in a holder, a thief would have a better idea of what they have.
    If they open a package and see a 1957-D quarter, even if they realize it is silver, it may be spent or treated as "normal" 90% and disappear that way image

Because of that, I hope the package(s) that were lost are honestly just misplaced as a group/bundle or, if they were stolen, I hope they catch the thief before they get to the packages to spend/sell.

Good lucky Tommy, and I would agree with the MS64 grade potential (63 all day, 64 on a good day) as the larger pics make any "ding" look much bigger. Also, what is going on between the 9 and 5 in the date? Toning? Planchet flaw?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I updated the other thread and after hearing of the other packages missing there contents and being delivered I can only assume this quarter is gone, don't know what is going on between the numbers 1957 and thought a dip might help that but dealer said no.So at least my grading skills are getting better, thanks for the guesses and pather enjoy that MS64 Like I know you do................tom Might as well say goodbye to the other quarter a 1953 ETF and it was a lock at a Proof 66 top pop and maybe 1 better heres hoping your not in a Pop machine.........................

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I'd give that a 64 Tom.....but I have a feeling it's an MS64 that is sitting in a bin in a Coke machine. IF these were stolen, any raw variety will likely be spent (those of 'modern' design, like a Washie) as if it were pocket change. I think a gold coin, or a coin from, say, 1802, well, thats a different story....thats what I think, anyway. By your posting this, Tom, I'd say you have lost 100% faith you'll get it back, and that saddens me, as I know how proud you were/are of these 2, especially the '53 ETF.

I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just makes me sick! I know the feeling and I know the feeling when they finally show up.

I hope Tom gets to experience the "found feeling".image

I have some crossovers I would like to do before the "NEW" 1 % fee!image

But I don't trust the Post Office right now and the next big show (FUN) will be too late to avoid fee!image

PEOPLE WHO DO THIS SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT AND SHOT!!!!
  • Options
    21 days tomorrow and surprised NO One guessed Genuine, which is now all this coin will ever be. The package and the coins are gone called us postal inspector in washington and was told they or someone would call today and give me more info, faxed all my info to pcgs so they can add this coin to the rest of the STOLEN Coins. I have asked to find out what other coins were lost and if the packages found still had the order form in them.............no response........... Cancelled Credit Card................

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would've been a 63. That hit on the cheek keeps it from a 64 holder in my opinion.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess 63. But since it's lost I'll say 64.
    Lance.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least it's not a $20 lib.
    MS6
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since our host and the PO don't care to even take the time to call back

That's typically not the case with PCGS.
    Have you considered calling them back??
    Sometimes being proactive will get you the desired result.....good luck!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you keep taking slight jabs at our host? What do they need to call you back about? It sucks your coins are missing, but it has nothing to do with PCGS. There is risk everytime you put anything in the mail. You can mitigate that risk with insurance or registered, but you can't remove it completely. You could've hopped on a plane and delivered it to PCGS if you wanted to remove the risk of the P.O. The blame needs to be put on the thief that stole them and the P.O. for employing him/her.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Why do you keep taking slight jabs at our host? What do they need to call you back about? It sucks your coins are missing, but it has nothing to do with PCGS. There is risk everytime you put anything in the mail. You can mitigate that risk with insurance or registered, but you can't remove it completely. You could've hopped on a plane and delivered it to PCGS if you wanted to remove the risk of the P.O. The blame needs to be put on the thief that stole them and the P.O. for employing him/her. >>

And all futher submissions will be done at shows, also a company providing a service where the customer has to send them something and packages go missing should be worried and may have more pull with actually getting the PO to look into it. I know are host has no responsibilty in my coins being stolen, I do however feel to be proactive and make a list of the coins missing would be a good thing. I have already called 10 shops in anaheim and made them aware to keep there eyes out. In the end were all responsible for our actions. This was my mistake and trust me it will not happen again. Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file