Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 Formative Years Lincoln Cent DDRs

I know it seems that these have been brought up a few times, but my question is this....I have a mint wrapped roll of 2009 P Formative Year cents that came from one of the boxes with the date stamp where many of the DDRs came from. (I opened the box a while ago, so I do not know the exact date, but I do know it is in that range.) One of the end coins is a DDR #3 according to lincolncentreserouce.com 2009 Formative Years DDRs.

Which of these DDRs is more valuable? Should I open the roll to search for others, or keep the roll in tact with the DDR showing on the end?

Comments

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I would keep it sealed.

You can always open it later.

Joe
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I would open it up... the 003 isn't the most valuable of the errors but you might find something better inside. Worst case, you put the 003's in 2x2's and start your collection! Eventually if you want to sell them you'd do better to sell them individually imho. In a few months the new CPG will be published and it will help establish actual values per error. You might want to visit the Wexler site online @ www.doubleddie.com to see the complete listing and descriptions of all of the identified errors in this series. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I would open it up also to see what is inside. The 003 error is too common to be worth anything and you will not get any bids on it if you were to put it on ebay as a roll but there might be something inside.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imagine the restraint it took for some not to open that original roll of 1909-S VDB that sold into 7 figures!!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lance, there was such a roll of SVDBs? Wow! >>

it is what i read somewhere. i cannot substantiate it though

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    I opened up a roll yesterday of 2009 P with a WDDR 001 on the end I bought last week for $22 and found 14 WDDR 001, 7 WDDR 002, and 4 WDDR 003's in it so your roll with an 003 on it could have some good coins in it. Open it by all means!
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Good pull Pitboss! I almost opened up a roll of the wddr-006's the other day because I had an itch to search a roll...any roll....I decided to buy another bank box to search instead. I'll get a few days of pleasure

out of searching those with the dream of finding something extra special.
  • Options
    Good luck on that box.

I still have a couple of bank boxes that I know are loaded with errors but I don't need any of those particular errors.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree you should open, but the box date and time is critical on these.

BTW, we have a great thread on this HERE
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one would NOT open. You'll be sorry if one day it happens to be an isolated error everyone wants.Wait,at least when the new Cherrypicker's guide comes out,featuring these small treasures.My opinion,anyway? I too have a few of those end rolls,from the mint.Hold on!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    I decided on a compromise. I had another roll from the same order that was heads on both sides. I opened the Wexler site and decided to open that roll and do some searching. I had 12 WDDR-001s, 11 WDDR-002s, and 9 WDDR-003s. After a while I realized that I was not going to get any of the 050s, or any of the other significant ones, which is disappointing. So it looks like there will be a LOT of the 001s and 002s, which will be part of the Cherrypicker sets, out there, and thus they won't carry much value.
  • Options
    I came to that same realization a while back. It is tough getting the good ones from the bank boxes. If you get lucky enough to come across boxes with the good ones in it you do well but you will go through a lot of money trying to find them. It was hard to find them when I started but it is even harder now as these coins are almost 4 years old now.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't underestimate the 001 & 002's. A bit more common means popularity -- they are still a scarce coin and cool variety.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    The 001's, 002's, and the 006's are the class of the ones from the LP2 boxes. I have many of these beauties. They will be part of the CPG book for sure along with 025.043, and 050 which are the class of the mint boxes. The 006 is the class of all of them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file