Home U.S. Coin Forum

Trade Dollar GTG - grade posted- TRUEVIEW posted

OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
We haven't had a Trade Dollar guess the grade in a while, here's a new pick-up I showed in another thread. Guess the grade...I will be submitting shortly and will follow up once the grade is posted by our hosts.

1878-CC Trade Dollar

Larger images:
Obverse
Reverse

We already had one vote for "wholesome" in the other thread.

*** Grade posted near bottom of thread ***

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    VF-35

I like it image

• << <i>VF-35

I like it image >>

You stole my guess hehe, I was going to say 35 too. But I really like the circam appearance on that trade.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. VF-20.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF35
    When in doubt, don't.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with VF35. You don't see circulated CC's looking as clean and original as this very often. A lot of the details on this coin suggest
    a solid XF grade. Suspect some of the flattish areas (outer wings for example) are possibly more strike than wear.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

• << <i>Agree with VF35. You don't see circulated CC's looking as clean and original as this very often. A lot of the details on this coin suggest
    a solid XF grade. Suspect some of the flattish areas (outer wings for example) are possibly more strike than wear. >>

This is a perfect answer, these are known with weak wings and such. I see a coin with no luster so it starts at XF40 and at a point the difference between ware and soft strike is negligible on a mid range coin as it is what it is. So the flat spots drop it down to 35 but very nice for the grade. An XF40 isn't out of the question.
  • For comparison

• LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    30?
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I'll stake out VF25 since it hasn't been taken yet.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭
    perfectly crusty and dirty i love it. 35

B
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I take a stab at BB, filed rims, otherwise 25. Pretty coin except for those worn rims.
    Paul
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I take a stab at BB, filed rims, otherwise 25. Pretty coin except for those worn rims. >>

Interesting that you bring this up. That was my one and only concern purchasing this coin raw after viewing only a picture (I now have the coin and am not worried) The type 2 obverse trade dollars with this amount of wear just look like this. I have a near identically worn coin that straight graded, the rims look the same, I believe it's just how they wear.

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the look of that coin. I wonder about the rims, though. Dan, can you comment? Have they been filed?

If not, I still think there is too much wear there for an EF. If the rims are OK, I'd say VF-25. But a VF with a lot of eye appeal.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    VF30
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 77-CC thats could be your coins twin and it was recently graded VF-30. I love it but feel the with the value of that date 30 is about as high as you will get & I would love to own one just like it.

For grade comparison:

Trade $'s
    Nice 77-CC T-Dave! These two coins look very close.

To share my thoughts, on the 78CC I see the coin as a nice VF30. I believe the rims have naturally worn down, not filed.
    Please let us know what that one comes back as. I am really curious.

<< <i>Please let us know what that one comes back as. I am really curious. >>

Will do. By the way DDR, didn't recognize you with the changed avatar. Also, I hear we just missed each other when I was back east....hopefully next time.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The flat rims are the high point of the coin and will wear just like the interior high points. So the fact that those areas are all light gray/white is consistent imo.

Crypto79's XF has a lot more meat as well as what appears to be luster. If that's the XF40 standard for the date, then VF25 or 30 is probably more likely than 35.
    I see an awful lot of XF40 seated and bust halves that don't anywhere near the remaining detail of Crypto79's coin.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF25...
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For comparison

image >>

Looks XF45 to me, John.

Edited to add: What am I missing?

edited to add again: Dan and Mikey you are correct......AU 1$Trade for sure.

I'm sure Crypto will school us on this lady!!! image

<< <i>Looks XF45 to me, John.
    What am I missing? >>

I've seen John's 78cc in hand. It's an AU53 severely punished for being dark.

I flipped over the slab and was surprised to see a hand written note by David Hall attached to the back with a short opinion about the grade. Very cool.
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Definitely agree. The "EF-40" Trade $ is a no question AU that has been net graded for some reason. I believe
    the OP coin is a solid VF-35 that appears to show no reasons to be net graded.
    Dan,

I was really bummed I missed you too. Unfortunately, I had a previous commitment I could not break.

Yes, I changed my avator to a three-legged Buffalo Nickel that I have had since the 1980's. I got tired of that little red airplane that really didn't mean anything to me. Buffalo Nickels were my first coin-collecting love. I put together a complete set of full-horn Buffalos before getting into the whole Trade dollar adventure.

Back to the thread... Crypto's 78-CC is an AU coin that got net graded for some reason. As you know, most EF Trade dollars are not that nice and do not have that much detail in them.
    Grade just posted, it graded VF30. I'm fine with that, it's a really attractive VF30. I'll post the Trueview as soon as it's available.

Guesses were in the range of VF20 to XF40, weighted towards VF35. A few concerns were voiced about filed rims but my gut was right, this is what edge wear looks like on a VF Type II/Type II trade dollar.

Thanks for the guesses and stay tuned for Trueview.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Dan...That is about the grade and eye appeal I need for my set. If you get tired of her let me know.
    Trade $'s
  • RodebaughRodebaugh Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the Trueview.

Conga rats on the nice coin.
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin, but I have one question. Wouldn't the outline around the eagle infer some kind of cleaning in the past. I'm not trying to say your coin was cleaned, just trying to understand aging patterns.
    Congrats, Dan! Looking forward to the TruView as well.
  • Looks like TennDave nailed it. Nice coin
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Very nice 78-CC. Congrats!
    Here is the TrueView which I think shows the coin more accurately than my picture above, both good and bad - although I don't see much bad with this one. Thanks all for the comments.

<< <i>I like the coin, but I have one question. Wouldn't the outline around the eagle infer some kind of cleaning in the past. I'm not trying to say your coin was cleaned, just trying to understand aging patterns. >>

Good question and you made me look closer. From what I can tell, the dark outline around the eagle and elsewhere is more staining than gunk buildup. I think there likely was gunk built up in the protected areas that came and went with circulation, the coin toned/stained/colored differently in the protected areas as a result. I could also conceive this coin having been rinsed a little at some point, much different than a dip, more like a wash to rid it of loose gunk. Obviously it wasn't stripped like many you see and I'm glad for that. Really it's anyone's guess as to how it go to be exactly how it is today.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin Dan and it looks great for a 30. Glad it made it into a holder okay image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file