Home U.S. Coin Forum

A 66-S no Motto $20 for nearly a Half Million on ebay?

Text

Great coin, but a half million?

What sort of percentages do sellers have to pay on six figure coins like this if they get a serious buyer? I paid over 9% on a $2000 coin.

Comments

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy price, especially for a date where the only MS specimens slabbed are 61-62. An AU58 is probably the better value at a fraction of the price.
    If I were going to spend a half million on a $20 Lib, it would be on something like Oreville's ex-1875-s $20 Lib in MS67 (finest known for type and date) or
    maybe a rare date date Saint in 66/67 or a proof $20 Lib in monster gem DCAM. RCW are never shy asking for a high price. They claim that $20 Libs are one
    of the most popularly collected sets in rare coins. Ok....but on which planet?

On monster valued coins I guess the % paid over wholesale depends on how many hands are the pie (consignors, dealers, etc.). At $470K it could be as little as
    5% which is still a lot of coin for a single sale. Something tells me if they get their asking price, they'll be making more like 30-200%.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭
    Well it is CAC verified... image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with the eBay listing fee of 50 cents...

Total eBay fees are $9493.00

After PayPal takes their fees from $472,500.00 you'll receive:
    $458,797.20
    That means PayPal is taking $13,702.80 from you! Those !
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>with the eBay listing fee of 50 cents...

$458,797.20
    That means PayPal is taking $13,702.80 from you! Those ! >>

I seriously doubt that PayPal will even get involved in this type of transaction. It exceeds their maximum allowed by a mile.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>with the eBay listing fee of 50 cents...

$458,797.20
    That means PayPal is taking $13,702.80 from you! Those ! >>

I seriously doubt that PayPal will even get involved in this type of transaction. It exceeds their maximum allowed by a mile. >>

you can make an indefinite amount of $10k payments via paypal is what they told me when inquiring about how to pay for a large-dollar transaction so long as they are all referenced to each other

the fees from an auction company that charges lets say 15% will take nearly $71k in fees from $472,500.00.

i'm just adding some info, not taking sides.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    i do believe ebay's maximum final value fee is $250. just saying...
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i do believe ebay's maximum final value fee is $250. just saying... >>

i just figured out it was $50 right before they changed it not too long ago. then it was $100, and like 2 days later, they thought, hmm lets see if they'll pay $250 and within a week ebay lost

thousands of listings from a LOT of familiar sellers if not more, but they just about all seem to be back listing again.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller may be using eBay to get some cheap advertising for this coin. Any transaction will most likely be outside of eBay.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller may be using eBay to get some cheap advertising for this coin. Any transaction will most likely be outside of eBay. >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • If I were going to lay down that kind of money on a $20 gold piece it would have to be a high end 1854-0, 1856-0 or 1870-CC, I would also throw in a nice MS-63 or better 1861-0 if such a coin exists.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask them what their wholesale price is...they are rare coin wholesalers btw.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt buy anything like that off of ebay never mind paypuke. just saying, jmo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file