Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The USPS nears default--will service suffer?

Text

I had two expresses going to Texas today, neither of them have been updated though sent yesterday. Are we going to suffer continuing service issues with our generally dependable USPS? I have for the most part been happy with the service. Priorities are tremendous where I can drop off a package tomorrow and it gets to FL or CA on Monday almost invariably.

Comments

• Options
    I have had some issues lately: mis-routed packages, lost shipments, delays, etc...
    All in just a couple of months. None during the previous three years.
    Hope it's not a trend but just a bad period.
    I have always been happy with the postal service.
    MM
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is suffering already as I go to a small PO. Nothing major, just frustrations.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Service is suffering. Good service is suffering and enjoying it.
  • Options

The way it is explained to me by my carrier is that the billions has nothing to do with
    everyday paying of the service. It goes to the retirement and insurance funds which
    already has tons of money. We will still get the best service value from the USPS now
    and in the future. If you're worried then start shipping by another carrier for more money
    and less quality service. Like he told me, the USPS moves, no pun intended, tons more
    mail than any other service and I agree with that.

• Options
    The stuff I ship (and have shipped to me) seems to be getting delivered as promptly and efficiently as ever. Tracking? Why should I bother worrying about that? Either I have the package or I don't. Knowing where it is before it gets to me is of no use to me.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you have to worry about your shipping being affected, at least not at this time. As another poster indicated, it is a matter of the retirement/pension plan the USPS is forced to fund in it's entirety for it's present and future hires. This is an example of what happens when the government interferes with a business. The USPS is supposed to be a stand alone, self run business, but then Congress stepped in and passed legislation that forced this stipulation on the postal service. With a mandate like that, it would be difficult for ANY business to stay afloat.

If the government would butt out ( repeal the pension/retirement funding mandate), and allow the postal service to cut back on Saturday deliveries, my understanding is that it would be in the black again.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Saturday delivery = Their service is slipping.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A recent experience tells me that service is suffering. However, all I have is one data point, and that isn't really a reliable indicator.

A package being sent to me from near the East coast was entered into the USPS as being received, and remain that way for over a week with no updates. After a contact to the Postmaster at the sending postal facility, there was no immediate information other than, "that's just an unacceptable level of service".

A couple days later, it showed up at my door, yet still had not been updated on the USPS web site.

That's pretty bad, but again, it's one data point.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the below paragraph's reason is self explanatory.

"He said the two missed payments totaling $11.1 billion for future retiree health benefits -- payments ordered by Congress in 2006 that no other government agency or business is required to make -- along with similar expenses make up the bulk of the annual loss. The remainder is nearly $3 billion in losses, he said, which would have been offset by savings if the service had been allowed to move to five-day mail delivery."

Quote from Post Master General
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    It's default to the federal government.
    Business will go on as usual, albeit morale may be lower.
  • Options
    The Postal Service is the only government agency that has to pre fund pension commitments, I think the last figure I heard was $5 billion dollars, they would have been profitable without paying that. I send 99% of everything I sell on the 'net via USPS and I think they do a good job. The United States Postal SERVICE, why do they have to make money??? The government will drop $5 billion on weapons in a second, take some of that and fund the PO.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay helps. Millions of packages are being shipped daily. And even if some of them are not as described, and are returned, it's a plus for the USPS. It's like getting paid double time.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ship on any where from 30-70 packages a week, nothing lost in over 3 years. When it only takes 2 days for Fargo, ND to Orlando, Fl I have to applaud them for the quickness. I do agree with the statement about the retirement programs holding the group back, same is happening with many towns and states with their inflated pension programs. With the amount I ship I like to beleive Ive paid for atleast one persons retirement.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they'll get a life line or one of those "phone a friend" thingys. Surely they can operate while bankrupt. . . the rest of Washington seems to have no problem doing so.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    I'd say buy stamps and stop using online bill pay services to help fund it, but its likely to go to free cell phones somewhere.
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just one example of where the whole economy is headed because of entitlements which don't have the money to fund them. Get ready for a lot more of this. In the mean time the government is heading toward a situation when it can't provide a vital, basic service that has been around since the country was founded. Yet at the same time the Feds want to expand into new areas they cannot manage because they are "sexy."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It's a shame because it seems like it would be easy to fix it.
    They could let them fund their retirement by putting into their own 401Ks and not include other service years towards retirement. At least do it moving foreword. They could raise the price for junkmail. Limit delivery to 3 days a week. I'd even be willing to wait longer for packages if it solved their budget. It's not like the old days before phone and internet, I don't think everything needs delivery 6 days a week. They could keep a higher cost service with 6 delivery days for things people are willing to pay extra for.

Like too many things the gov won't fix it, they're too afraid they might lose a few votes so they do not make any unpleasant decisions.

By keeping it as it is I think service will suffer and it will go further in debt.
    Ed
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of three day service half the carriers and make the junk mail pay full fare. I would have no problem with Monday, Wednesday and Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday delivery.
    As for the retirement funding, Aren't all of the governments plans supposedly broke already.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file