Home Metal Detecting
Options

It is my sad duty to inform y'all of the passing of one of our own... (Tim Buck, aka "phut&quot

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got a call from a lady named Jeorgia. She is the girlfriend of Tim Buck ("phut").

She said Tim passed away on August 31st. He was 49 years old.

Apparently he had been feeling a little sick- he thought he had a cold. He was found (in his garage, I think she said?) We had a really bad phone connection and I had just gotten home from work. Plus this came as a bit of a shock, so forgive me if I've botched any of the facts.

At this time, I take it that it's not really known what the cause of death was. It might have been a heart attack.

Anyway, there was no lingering illness or anything like that. She said he was in good spirits and happy about having been back on the forums here, and his exciting finds over the summer. No doubt you all remember the three Massachusetts "tree" coins he dug this summer! Any ONE such piece would be a detectorist's dream. Tim found THREE in one summer, and then just posted a picture and hardly anything more. He was a man of few words sometimes. I'd have written ten thousand words if I found something like that!

Ever the skilled detectorist, Tim went out with a bang, and Jeorgia said he was happy when he went, so I take that as some small consolation.

That's about all I can write for tonight. Perhaps tomorrow I will try to gather up what reminiscences I have of Tim, and you all are invited to do the same. I wrote an article when he came down here to visit several years ago, so I had the pleasure of meeting him in person once.

I always wanted to go up there and hunt some of his sites one day. Tim had apparently spoken of that, too.

Jeorgia wanted any pictures I had of him. There was one in my article I wrote at the time of his visit. It had a picture, but not a great one.

I'll link that up later. I can't remember, but there might have been a picture of him associated with one of the old Virtual Treasure Hunts, too.

I'll try to work this into a proper memorial thread but for now this will have to do. Once I've dug up what recollections and pictures I can find, I'll link Jeorgia up via email. She said she's not very computer savvy and had a hard time tracking me down, but she did.

Please remember her and our late friend in your prayers.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    wow that is sad. wondered were he was. i liked reading his postings. he did dig alot of cool stuff.
    i wonder if there could be a memorial forum created to remember lost members.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear this :-(. My prayers go out to his family. 49 is way too young to be taken from us.
  • Options
    I was only able to find one picture of Tim, taken when he and I went relic hunting here, back in February of 2006.

Here is that story.

Tim found Spanish colonial silver on a hard-hunted site that several of us had pounded for months if not years before he visited.

Here is his last thread on the forums.

He finished his treasure hunting career with some spectacular success, but posted the results in a surprisingly understated way. If I had found ONE Massachusetts silver piece, let alone THREE, I'd have written volumes about it! He just posted the three all mixed in with other coins in a group shot, with simply "2012" as his title. In addition to being a nice guy, he was also quite modest.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I've reposted my dig story and the picture of his 2012 finds on the US Coin Forum.

Not everyone knew him over there, but you can bet that there are a few dozen who will remember his pictures of all those Massachusetts "Tree" coins!

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I always enjoyed Tim posting his finds, most were crazy cool. Gonna be missed around here. My condolences to the family.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have never thought of him being so young..What a shameimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my condolances to the family
  • Options
    I am deeply saddened to hear this. I will miss Tim dearly.
    Tim has a small number of Indian artifacts that I collected over the years and swapped with him. Tim new of my love for buttons and sent me a small jewelry box of them that he personally dug over the years.
    I need to get them out and photograph them.

Tim was one of the best relic hunters I personally know. His persistence was unmatched as a "dig it all" hunter. He would fill a five gallon bucket with tons of scrap and trash but almost always had a few nice finds that would make anyone jealous .
    We shared numerous Pm's talking about Indian artifacts and relics. In fact the only person I have more pm's with is you Rob.
    Tim was a man of few words but what an awesome man he was.

I just can't believe he is gone. It's so sad.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lordmarcovan, think of him as you hunt. Maybe some divine intervention? I remember
    his cute little kitten avatar and always enjoyed his threads.

My condolences to all who knew him or were touched by his detecting.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim was a great guy, very sorry to hear this. Always enjoyed his posts and we did PM a bit. He was always pleasant and although he would disappear for a while, had great stories when he came back to the forum.
    RickO
  • Options
    Here's an old daguerreotype (or tintype?) photograph Tim dug, back in 2004. I thought it was a really, really cool find. These old photos on metal plates sometimes survive well in the ground, particularly if they are framed, like this one was. I think he found some others.

Thank you to Cocoinut, who dug that out of the archives. With my more modern browser, at home, I can't always use all the features of the site anymore.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Very sad, here's a link to his obituary LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Thank you for the link Steve.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Im a sports card collector (PSA) but read this thread all the time. I have alot of interest in metal detecting and want to send his family and friends my condolences. Tim had the same birthday as my dad, may they both look down upon us and lead all of you to "honey holes".

Dave
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    Here are some relics given to me by Tim. He new my love of buttons and sent these to me one day.
    My favorite is the large specimen at center which has a series of stars within one another and rays shooting out to the rim from them.
    The thimble was a nice bonus!
    I sent Tim some indian artifacts and he messaged me back after receiving them and stated "It was just like Christmas"

Thanks for your many exchanges of stories and relics Tim.

imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I've been absent from the forum for quite a while, and only became aware of this terribly sad event just now, after reading a PM from lordmarcovan.

Phut was one of the first to welcome me to the forum back in 2005, and while I never had the pleasure of meeting him, he felt like a real friend.
    We remember his outstanding finds of course, yet he was always very complimentary towards the more modest stuff others came up with.

He had a great sense of humor too.
    We remember his "mighty cat" icon he posted under:

Then, one time when I'd found something slightly better than usual, he replied with this!!

My belated condolences to his family. Way too young! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

<< <i>My belated condolences to his family. Way too young! image >>

Indeed. But I got the impression Tim didn't have much family. In a way, it seems WE were his family.

Perhaps that's why his girlfriend Jeorgia saw fit to track me down and give me the sad news.

We sure had some fun. I had the pleasure of meeting (and digging!) with him in person once, as mentioned.

Where's that Godzilla-versus-Phut The Cat picture I did? Haha.

• Options
    Such a young age! Very sad! I enjoyed his writings here in the forum. My condolences to his family.
  • Options
    Sad to hear this news... I haven't been on the boards in years, but when I was, Tim (Phut) was one of the main guys here. I had lots of fun trading messages with him while digging for the old stuff.

Looking through old messages, I saw that he even sent me a private message asking me how my family was doing during a tough/busy time while my wife was expecting my 2nd son... Tim (along with many others here) was a very caring guy.

Another fun fact/memory- Tim was the one who assigned me with one of his digs during the forum contest, VTH3. The dig he found for me, 2 Barber dimes in one hole, provided me with the grand prize that year.

My condolences to his family (on and off the board)...
  • Options
    Riccar- welcome back. 'Tis good to see you, sir.

Zot was just asking how many of the "old school" were still around, and your name came up.

• Options
    Some fun flashbacks to VTH3. image

The grey cat was Tim/phut's avatar.