Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Antietam battle sequicentennial

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
This September 17th is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam Creek near Sharpsburg, MD. More than 6,000 soldiers lost their lives making it the bloodiest day in US history.

The battle is important in other ways too. It was the Confederate Army's first excursion north of the Potomac River (September 4-5). Taking the fight to the North on their own soil, although Maryland was a border state, not really a firm member of the "Union". Lee hoped the local populace would assist his army. With recent victories at 2nd Manassas, the Confederacy felt like it was on a roll. The North still controlled New Orleans and the Tennessee valley, but confederate raiders were making holding the Tennessee valley difficult.

The money situation in the North was quickly deteriorating. Stamps were being used instead of small change. The new Legal tender notes had no backing and sank in relation to gold with every loss the North suffered. Every loss further deteriorated trust in the currency.

Lincoln had a few weeks earlier announced his intention to free the slaves in states under rebellion against the United States, but couldn't make this public with the war going against the North. He needed a victory.

The mid-term elections were coming up and if the war continued to be lost, then more Peace Democrats (Copperheads) would get elected and push for recognition of the Confederacy. A loss of seats from the Republicans would also make foreign recognition of the Confederacy more likely.

In short, the North could not lose this battle.

If you have an Antietam commemorative please post it.

Here are some pictures I took of the battlefield and some period images.

This is the Dunker Church where heavy fighting took place.

This is the Hagerstown Pike (to the far right). One of the few images made during a Civil War battle

This is the aftermath.

And recently

This is the "Burnside" Bridge.General Burnside's troops had to take the bridge with Confederate holding the ridge across from the bridge.

Here is a view from the Confederate position.

Here is a view from the Union position.

The "Bloody lane":

Soon after the battle:

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    A great historical site. Antietam is right in my neck of the woods!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    This is an image of the bridge closer to the time of the battle.

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great photos and history lesson! One of my favorite commems.

JH
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>More than 6,000 soldiers lost their lives making it the bloodiest day in US history. >>

and compared to gettysburg, the battle area is relatively and somewhat surpringly small to be the bloodiest US ground.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ex. Catbert now mine image
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    The war photos represent an incredibly tragic event in our nation's history. I don't think I could look at any of the Civil War commemoratives without remembering the history behind them.................

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I sold my PCGS MS66 last year. Photos by Mark Goodman, ex CRo, ex Leeg

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool story Rick... And a huge tragedy for the lose of life in American history...
    I find it amazing how 150 years really isn`t that long ago for all of the great accomplishments since then for a country...

ABimage
  • Options
    Great post, Rick. I've just started reading 'Battle Cry of Freedom' by James McPherson; In part because I wanted to read more about US history, but also because I'm very much fascinated by the Civil War. The Antietam silver commemorative is one of my favorites, too.

Here's a link to a pic of an MS68+ from CoinFacts. It's kind of big:
    PCGS CoinFacts Link

Full CoinFacts Article

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite subjects and one of my favorite coins...........Great examples in this thread. MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice commems all. let us all remember that day and the lost lives
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had two great-great uncles who fought in this battle. They were brothers, Ed and William Duffy. Ed fought for the CSA and William for the USA. William was killed.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Lee was almost killed in this battle. A horse next to him had his front legs blown off.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to get to Antietam at some point. Hard to imagine an even more bloody day than Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg.
    150 years later and the marks of the Civil War are still echoing in our society and who we have become. Great post, Rick - thanks for putting it together.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We went to Antietam back in April, added several books about the Civil War to my library there. It was the first time my kids had been to a significant Civil War battlefield - really an eyeopener how many people died there in a mere one day battle.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I visited the Antietam battlefield back in September 1993. I have a photo from then that is almost identical to Rick's first, except the trees in the background have grown a lot.

Rick's recent photo:

and the 1993 photo:

Here are a couple more pics of the Burnside Bridge from 1993:

And before I forget - here are pics of my Antietam half. These were taken 10 years ago with a 2 megapixel camera. Guess it's time to visit the SDB so I can re-shoot it

imageimage

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Cool! It shows how different these sites look just after 20 years. It appears they try to recreate the look at the time even with the placement of the trees. What a waste it would have been if these battlefields were lost to developers.
  • Options

image.great post and pics..........
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a picture I took many years ago of the Burnside Bridge. As you can see artist William Marks Simpson flipped the tree, which is on the left side of the bridge to the right side on the reverse of the coin.

That tree is the oldest survivor of the battle. It was then when the shots were fired.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    The Confederate position was on the ridge on the west side of the river, firing down on the Union forces trying to cross.

The image of the bridge on the coin is from the south with the ridge and the Confederate position on the left. Bill, your image is from the north with the ridge on the right, so it is from the opposite side of the bridge.

Also, I doubt any tree would last 150 years there, with floods and all.

Here is a map of the Maryland Campaign.

• Options

<< <i>Also, I doubt any tree would last 150 years there, with floods and all. >>

That is what the park guides and the brochure said when I took the tour in the 1990s. Maybe it is different now.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Here is Alexander Gardner's image of the Antietam Bridge on the Sharpsburg-Boonsboro Turnpike after the battle. Is this a bit north of the "Burnsides" Bridge. I wonder why they even needed the bridge. Looks like they could have just walked across the creek.

• Options
    Also, it appears I am wrong: Witness tree
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder why they even needed the bridge. Looks like they could have just walked across the creek. >>

There is a reason why that the name, "Burnside's Bridge," has been called a derogatory name. Before the battle it was known as "Rohrback Bridge." Instead of looking for a shallow point when his men could have waded across, of which there were at least several, Burnside concentrated his efforts on the bridge. That allowed 400 Confederate soldiers, who had the high ground above the bridge, were able to hold off 12,500 Union soldiers for several hours.

General Burnside was not one of the sharpest swords in the scabbard. In December at the Battle of Fredericksburg the Confederates held the high ground, looking down on the attacking Union soldiers, slaughtered the Yankees like fish in a barrel. It was truly awful, and yet Burnside was unable to think out of the box. He ordered assault after assault on the Confederate position with equally disastrous and predictable results. Ultimately other officers had to restrain Burnside from personally leading yet another attack on the Confederate position. After "Burnside's mud march" in January he was removed as the commander of the Army of the Potomac.

The swan song of Burnside's military career came at Petersburg in the summer of 1864. There a group of Pennsylvania coalminers dug a tunnel under a Confederate redoubt and filled it with explosives. After the explosion the Union soldiers acted as if they were disorganized as the stunned Confederates. Burnside, along with a couple of other generals, got sacked for that fiasco.

Here is a Civil War token view of General Ambrose Burnside, from whom the term "sideburns" came.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was first learning wet plate in 1995 I hauled all my gear to Sharpsburf and shot image after image of that bridge. Eerie place...especially when you're there alone. The tree still growing at the foot of the bridge transcends time. Here's a 1/4 plate Ambrotype of the Bridge (and now you know where my screen name here came from)image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, it appears I am wrong: Witness tree >>

VERY cool!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file