Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1746...New pick up and a great addition to my collection...

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
Spanish Milled Dollar, "Pillar dollar", valued at 8 reals or "piece of eight"...This coin is a fraction of which and is "1 real" and I'm happy as heck to own this piece. These coins were used by our Nation's founders and has much history attached to them. 1/2 and 1 real, 2 & 4 reals were the principal coins of American colonists, and were for-runners of our own silver dollar and it's fractional divisions. About the size of a nickel the mintage is unknown and with a population of 3 graded by pcgs I think it's safe to say it's at least a condition rarity if not just rare all together. The other two graded by pcgs are AU-53 & 55. This one has been graded 45. It amazes me that the surfaces of this coin has not been molested nor has the environment taken it's toll on this coin over the last 26
266 years. Deep rich toning accompanies this coin and has more luster than I would expect from such an old piece in this grade. Thanks for looking as I just got it in the mail today. I purchased this beauty from Jeremy, "JK coin" a member of this forum... Thanks Jeremy, it's just beautiful and I need to show it off a bit. Comments are always welcome....Joe

imageimage
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin! Sure is a shame to put coins like that in plastic!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is such a beautiful coin. Those dentils really look like bad teeth!
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin and love the toning! Congrats on the pickup.
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    Real nice. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My kinda coin! image
  • Options
    Wonderful specimen.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is such a beautiful coin. Those dentils really look like bad teeth! >>

Heh, sorta like the Grinch's smile!
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Love it! Great looking coin and fantastically historical. Congrats to you!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, congratulations !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin--I like those old pillar coins-even the worn down ones.image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Great coin. Nice surfaces and tone.

I have recently have been drawn to colonial era coins. That's scary because I don't have near enough $$$ to feed my U.S. Type coin appetite, much less branching off into something else. image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin. Congratulations on the pickup!

There is a theory that our "$" sign originated from the pillars on the 8 Reales, or so-called "Pillar Dollar". Even in the smaller size, your coin shows these features nicely. I like it! image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick up. congrats image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite an attractive 12.5 cents you have there! The wavy effect of the edge is due to the fact that on pillars the edge was applied after the strike, as oppose to applying the edge to the blank prior.

In terms of scarcity - the lack of certified population is not really a good indicator. Most collectors of Spanish Colonial minors don't bother slabbing these little gems because at $45 minimum (has to be secure plus) it's quite often a third / quarter of the price (attractive XF-AU can be found relatively easily for 80-100 Euro from international auction houses).

• Options
    A handsome piece!!!!
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, Joe, that would make a great addition to anyone's collection!! Great pickup.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beautiful coin and, as always a beautiful pic CHD.
    These pieces drip history and it's pieces like this that really get the blood flowing.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file