Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada 5 cent 1875H small date - any premium for "low 5/5"?

It is CCCS graded VF30 with comments "Wide date, small date, low 5 over 5". CCCS tends to attribute a ton of varieties that none of the other TPGs do, and many that aren't really "mainstream"/out of Chartlon or listed in the CCN trends section. No idea what the wide date designation means, I can verify that it is indeed a small date type- varieties really aren't my thing.

I see the overdate on the last digit, but does it add any value? The only one I've come across in my searching is a lower grade one on Ebay that the guy wants about a 50% premium over a regular 1875H small date coin.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these varieties up to about AU do carry a small premium. depends who is buying...
    I would rather pay top price for an MS, the higher the better.
    But, as it is,your coin commands a pretty penny..
    am surprised it made it to n VF 30
    Louis is usually much more conservative.. he also forgot it is a blunt 7
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    The 2010 Charlton has it at $825 in VF20
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I suppose I should buy a new Charlton guide!

FWIW I thought it was a bit overgraded too at first. But the more I look at it and compare to other pieces, I think it's graded correctly. My photo skills leave a lot to be desired.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections