Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Gary's Jerusalem Collctn of Palestine coins WAS sold!!! Edited w/Newps

Holy cow - I almost missed this sheeees - Goldberg's is selling Gary's (RIP) Jerusalem collection of Palestine mandate coins in about 4 weeks.
I believe all are in PCGS holders and a few are finest known examples.

This is about 160 lots of the entire set plus duplicates - dunno if I would have chosen Goldberg's for this but I do love their pictures - always have - but go figure I couldn't even find it under their index - I wonder if anyone knows about this sale altogether - (and the lot index is wrong whatever..)

The last major set to sell at auction was the Lake Pearl collection by Heritage in 2004.

I don't see any other info mentioned so for those that are interested Gary has been collecting these for some 30 years and all of these were finally graded in one shot last year by our hosts, and than loaded the set into the PCGS registry. I helped him with a few of the later additions over the last few years...but I wish he was here to PLUG his set himselfimage ....he really wanted to upgrade the set yet more....it is a darn tough challenge to do period.

I have not gone over these yet but sure will soon - hopefully I can add a few pieces too.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary has been looking to sell the collection for a while before he passed. He was a bit disappointed with Goldberg because of the lack of publicity around it. I've seen it a few times, once even in person at the Goldberg's table at NYINC, but I'm still as impressed by the quality of the set as I was the first time Gary linked it to me at PCGS. I hope the prices reflect his passion and the difficulty with which he was able to assemble it.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree 2K - Heritage/Stacks would have been a better venue. These British Mandate pieces have a following.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just took a better look at this offering - what a despicable presentation of a wonderful set !

I am shocked to see there is NO descriptions or history...no cataloging effort whatsoever....EXCEPT obviously available to the masses population info only.

(Its lot 4354 thru 4509 for those interested and have no patience to spend 10 minutes looking)

There is one Palestine piece in Heritage's sale coming up - 1944 20MIL in MS63BN (PCGS) easily worth close to $1000 - one month to sale date HA already has $650!
    Goldberg's sold a same date/same grade (NGC) a few months ago for a paltry $315!! Someone did great indeed - but the consignor/seller got F'kd!

Sorry Gary, you shoulda listened to some of your buddies way earlier - for full disclosure Roman is right, I know for a fact he was trying to switch venues and have this collection in HA's Sept. sale - too bad he got ill and went south really fast.

If anyone wants my feedback and/or any notes I have on any of these Mandate examples being offered send me a PM with a list of lot#'s or the date runs etc., and I'll try to pass on any information avail. within a few days...prob by the weekend.

I've seen or reviewed many of these examples for Ocho back In January so I can tell you what I know - as noted already nothin but the picture on the Goldberg's site .. also for full disclosure I plan on bidding on just a few examples so you'll get get my unbiased opinion and not just a stay away from lot# X .

I figure maybe that's the least I can do for Gary.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In your opinion what would be a nice piece to pick up, something that has low pop and low mintage. Im not a serious Palestine collector just looking in from the outside.
    Marc I looked through the catalog and thought the same - no historical background etc or promotion. It would benefit Gary's wife to pull it out of the auction to get better treatment and maximize proceeds.

What a shame as lots of passion was put into the collection.
    Hey Jinx based on what you wrote; one of the key date 1937 Mil's for sure - that date is very tough in true MS grades - this sale has a few pcs which is a very rare coincidence. Same goes for the 1940 Mil as above also very seldom found in true MS grades and also a key date.

If you want something in silver the 1933 100 Mil's and scarce in MS - again this collection has a few super examples .

Z - prob too late at this stage - agreed - pm sent image
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Quite sad overall. I wonder if Gary specified to his estate the sale be conducted by the Goldbergs???

Well, wishing all the best returns for his widow.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just took a better look at this offering - what a despicable presentation of a wonderful set !

I am shocked to see there is NO descriptions or history...no cataloging effort whatsoever....EXCEPT obviously available to the masses population info only.

(Its lot 4354 thru 4509 for those interested and have no patience to spend 10 minutes looking)

There is one Palestine piece in Heritage's sale coming up - 1944 20MIL in MS63BN (PCGS) easily worth close to $1000 - one month to sale date HA already has $650!
    Goldberg's sold a same date/same grade (NGC) a few months ago for a paltry $315!! Someone did great indeed - but the consignor/seller got F'kd!

Sorry Gary, you shoulda listened to some of your buddies way earlier - for full disclosure Roman is right, I know for a fact he was trying to switch venues and have this collection in HA's Sept. sale - too bad he got ill and went south really fast. >>

Well, I missed your notes here and searched 10 minutes anyway........they have listed "Palestine" under the bloody Conder Token link..............numbnuts.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coincidentally I got the printed catalog this morning and agree that the collection is deserving of more promotion than it got. It is just lumped with other stuff.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    Marc will you be bidding on any for your set?
    just a few really - two commons - maybe an upgrade or two .

numbnuts is actually a very appropriate term Mac - I believe his other stuff was NOT sent to them, and is targeted to Heritage.
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    How do you think the sale went?

I will post my winnings later.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
    Overall with the sub par presentation they still managed to garner lots of attention, and a number of examples went for very strong money.

I truly believe HA would have netted yet stronger prices (I saw a handful of lots that would sell on Ebay alone for well over some of the prices realized today)....but regardless a strong showing of the entire series indeed.

A key advantage thankfully for Goldberg's to their credit is really excellent scans.

A few key dates only had high grades of AU53 to AU58 ( notably missing in 20 Mils 1933,1934 50 Mil 1931, 100 Mil 1931 etc.) ... Gary was still filling in when his health started to deteriorate - All these key dates in strong MS grades are valued at many multiples above Krause - perhaps that is why I was able to pick up only a few pieces that totally rock, still at strong money nonetheless, and will replace present examples.

The few I believe I snapped up are worth well over price I think I paid - I'll know better at a later date ....

For the few dates commonly available - no surprises - expected prices realized.

• hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    What do you think of the two coins I won?

1 Mil, 1940

20 Mils, 1941

Co-incidentally, i just realized that what appears to be the same exact 1940 Mil sold at Heritage for $700 in 2011. I paid half of that.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
    That 1940 (Mil, key date) was a cool win - and pq for the grade - great eye appeal too - holder is older and scuffed....congrats.
    I trailed the sales of the Palestine section and it seemed to me falling short of Heritage or even Ebay. Just my opinion.
    Co-incidentally, i just realized that what appears to be the same exact 1940 Mil sold at Heritage for $700 in 2011. I paid half of that.

missed this last nite - it is indeed the same example - Gary did indeed pick this one up at Heritage in 2011 - it is a PQ example and went for strong $. You were lucky as some of us were, and picked it up below true value yesterday - good for you image
    Got a few Mandate newps from this sale here..

here is the one of the coolest 100 Mil's I've seen especially for the date which is very scarce in high grade. (MS64 - really looks 65 in hand - holder is scuffed...) paid prob half of true value image

and here's a really tough date in 65, pristine - 1940 10 Mil I have never owned one this nice - so I'm happy.
    Price paid was steep but worth more if it was in heritage so I'm happy image

For obvious reasons I can't add to registry set as Gary is not here to remove it from "his" registry ;/ it says something about they will send the current owner an email...I hope pearly gates has good internet connections.

Edited to add; ALL the pieces I received seem to be scratched and scuffed - these were just slabbed what 1 1/2 years ago? Has anyone seen this with their Goldberg newps this time ?

Reposted in new thread to get more opinions on scuffed holders grrrr
    Marc - congrats. I am sure Gary is glad it fell into your hands/collection. Perhaps send to reholder asking for a new serial number to allow you to add to your set?