Home Sports Talk

Who Owns "We Are"

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
I brought this up on an earlier thread, but didn't get a response, so I thought I'd put the spotlight on it again. I have always thought that the chant "We Are" was a Marshall University thing. I know the chants they do in the stadium during the game where one side screams We Are and other side screams Marshall. But, I was unaware that Penn State also uses We Are as their central.....chest-thumping phrase.

Who started "We Are" and who borrowed it from the other school? Football warchants are not to be shared.
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I don't know the answer, but, in addition to the two schools you mentioned, I found this doing a search:

The University of Southern California Trojans began the chant when their football program was established. (1888)

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    The chant/music the KC Chiefs use is used by several schools, although I think our words are a little different. Maybe the practice is pretty common.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't know the answer, but, in addition to the two schools you mentioned, I found this doing a search:

The University of Southern California Trojans began the chant when their football program was established. (1888)

image >>

Look at all that hair touching/almost touching the ear....pretty rough looking crew.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link

SMU didn't want to play PSU because they had 2 black players and wanted to have a meeting about it. Joe suhey said, "We are penn state, there will be no meeting." hence the saying and chant were born. Read the article to get the whole story.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

• << <i>Link

SMU didn't want to play PSU because they had 2 black players and wanted to have a meeting about it. Joe suhey said, "We are penn state, there will be no meeting." hence the saying and chant were born. Read the article to get the whole story. >>

Good thing some school didn't want to have a meeting because Penn state had a child rapist on their coaching staff....though I guess it would be a moot point because Penn state had a head coach and administration who ACTIVELY covered up the rapist's actions because the football program image was more important, hence no meeting required.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>SMU didn't want to play PSU because they had 2 black players and wanted to have a meeting about it. Joe suhey said, "We are penn state, there will be no meeting." hence the saying and chant were born. Read the article to get the whole story. >>

That happened in 1947. If what I found on USC is correct, that was 59 years earlier. (1888)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>

<< <i>Link

SMU didn't want to play PSU because they had 2 black players and wanted to have a meeting about it. Joe suhey said, "We are penn state, there will be no meeting." hence the saying and chant were born. Read the article to get the whole story. >>

Good thing some school didn't want to have a meeting because Penn state had a child rapist on their coaching staff....though I guess it would be a moot point because Penn state had a head coach and administration who ACTIVELY covered up the rapist's actions because the football program image was more important, hence no meeting required. >>

Wow you really have no life. Way to bring something up that has nothing to do with the topic being talked about.
    What I Collect:

<< <i>

<< <i>SMU didn't want to play PSU because they had 2 black players and wanted to have a meeting about it. Joe suhey said, "We are penn state, there will be no meeting." hence the saying and chant were born. Read the article to get the whole story. >>

That happened in 1947. If what I found on USC is correct, that was 59 years earlier. (1888) >>

I don't know anything about the USC one. Maybe that's how the we are chant started and the one I saw is just how penn state started using it.
    What I Collect:

• Orioles93,

Umm, who has no life? I think you need to look in a mirror. You are one of the guys with blind love for the monster Paterno, and still insists he was a great teacher and coach. I don't think any great coach or teacher would put the image of a football team over that of children being raped, by ACTIVELY covering it up.

When so many of his pupils and players can't see how bad of a deed that he actually did, I guess his teaching and coaching wasn't very effective after all!

Maybe if he were a good teacher/coach, then his pupil McQueery would have stopped the rape instead of running like a coward...but when your head coach is also a coward, I guess I can see why he did nothing.

Until you and other Penn state blinders come to grips that he wasn't the man, teacher, or coach that you think...then maybe it will stop being brought up every time Penn state is brought up.

Oh, and you can't even come to grips that another school actually started the We Are chant, and that Penn State copied it, LOL. Such a child.
    I just said maybe USC is the one that started it lol. I didnt argue that. I love alts image

I was going to try and avoid talking about this crap on this thread but you had to bring it up again.
    What I Collect:

• Earth moving thread of upmost importance.

• << <i>I just said maybe USC is the one that started it lol. I didnt argue that. I love alts image

I was going to try and avoid talking about this crap on this thread but you had to bring it up again. >>

The actions of the teacher/coach that you admire so much, and your devotion to him despite those actions, are what causes people to continue to bring it up.

The guy you admire so much, and the administrators, are responsible for the sanctions put on your school.

• bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Didn't Farmers Insurance make it up?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • There is only one Ramma-Jamma!!!!!

Just lose to the mighty Tide and you'll get to here it on your way to the locker room!

Roll Tide!

Practice begins thursday
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    We Art Alts!