Home Precious Metals
Options

Should I submit bullion 1900 & 1898 dbl Eagles to PCGS?

All,

I have 2 Double Eagles from 1900 & 1898 which have been bought as bullion. At this point, I have no reason to think they will grade MS on PCGS. However, I also find that the PCGS pricing is low enough that I'm not taking much of a financial risk, and I might increase the value by a significant amount. What do you think?
"The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
Robert A. Heinlein

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I think they will be easier to sell and enjoy. JMHOimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...However, I also find that the PCGS pricing is low enough that I'm not taking much of a financial risk, and I might increase the value by a significant amount. What do you think? >>

Why do you think they will increase in value a significant amount? Yes, traditionally, they have brought a little more in PCGS slabs, but if they are not MS they will most likely trade at market. If you are planning on selling, you might be able to net a few more bucks with them in slabs. Maybe, maybe not that much of a difference to warrant $40+ in grading fees/shipping/etc. If you are planning on keeping them, enjoy them raw. You can send them off to the slabbers anything.

OTOH, buyers will feel a little more warm and fuzzy with them in slabs.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never hurts to have them certified as authentic. Buyers want to know they are not getting a problem coin.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    A local coin shop displays slabbed gold pieces of various non-MS grades, for a few hundred more, when the price of Gold is lower. Not a high risk experiment. !Go for it, as it seems like it should pay for itself, maybe more...
    COA
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    Thanks all. Lats time I submitted coins, I could do it as an individual, now it seems I need to go through a dealer. Sucks.
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Or purchase a PCGS Collector's Club membership for $49 (or $39 at NGC) and submit yourself.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join the club and enjoy.
    Good luck !!!
    Timbuk3